SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Offt discounted and overlooked. Ruger P85
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Offt discounted and overlooked. Ruger P85 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I worked five years in the Federal Bureau of Prisons (late 90s) when Ruger had the contract with DOJ/BOP. We used the P85, P89, and P95 (even saw a couple P93/94 models). We qualified on those once a year (twice if you transported inmates in the local towns).

I miss those, very easy to rack, disassemble, and clean and single action shooting was accurate for me.

Posts: 559 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I sat down and looked at the one mag that failed. It does not seem to actually be a ruger mag.

It is marked USA magazine made in the USA.
It is slightly shorter, and the feed lips had been adjusted with a pair of pliers before. As well as the face of the mag. It had been bent inwards towards the magazine.

Here you can see the top mag is a Ruger, and the lower is the USA mag that was not working. I had readjusted the feed lips and frame with a pair of needle nose.

The top one is the ruger again, bottom the USA. IT has a different follower and it doe s not quite clear the bullet from the magazine. As the bullet exited it tended to catch the brass on the edge of the magazine failing to move the bullet forward into the chamber. It had been a bit of a sharp lip on the inside of the magazine.

I took a diamond file and removed the inner lip that was bent forward. It took a couple of goes but eventually, I got it to skip right over the magazine lip and It seems to chamber every time now.

Typically when I have done something like this in the past. the feed lips weaken in short order and the magazine fails again. I will not be using this magazine for anything but drills, and practice sessions. It was nice to get it back into working condition for however long it stays that way.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son is with the Fed prison system and they still have the Rugers here in PA .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of knock-off mags out there of questionable quality.

I have an 85 and 90 and love them both. I'm always on the lookout for metal framed Ruger guns.

I had a p89x 9mm model before those two that came with an additional 30 luger barrel and spring. Not very common!

That range makes me jealous Eek

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger P-Series: Apocalypse-Ready!

Posts: 91 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
Have a 93 and 94. They are keepers. Found the KP-94 9 MM safety at a flea market recently. Like new in box. The KP-93 is hard to find. The 94's in 9 are hard to find too. Most were 40's.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was my issue duty weapon for many years. We had about 40 set aside for range qualifications for about 700 people. The same guns were fired for 9 years, no failures. When our armorer finally requested spring kits, the agency decided to change the weapon.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fiddled with pushing the rear sight yesterday. I gave up and have ordered a MGW sight pro. I have been meaning to upgrade a few sights, so this gave me the excuse.

I also ordered a ETS speed loader for the mags, now that I have several different guns with 30 round mags it is time to upgrade to an actuall speed loader. 30 round 40sw glock mags are a bitch.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of musc
posted Hide Post
I always liked these. My first pistol was a used P90 I picked up at the LGS.

Posts: 93 | Location: SC | Registered: January 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The grips are in. They do a great deal for the looks of the gun.

I am still waiting on the sight pusher. It should be here in a few days.

posted Hide Post
Those wood panels are terrific -

It makes the Ruger look like a timeless, classic war weapon that Browning himself would like.

Posts: 559 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They really stick to your hand compared to the stock plastic grips

posted Hide Post
No doubt about the fact that Rugers are built like tanks. In which ways does the P85 differ from the P89?

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
No doubt about the fact that Rugers are built like tanks. In which ways does the P85 differ from the P89?

I had not looked into that quite yet. I do plan on picking up these as a small collection.

A quick search lead to this.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpB...ewtopic.php?t=141613

quote:
The P89 was basically a combination of being a product-improved version of the P85 MKII and a commercial version of Ruger's XM10 submission for the second round of the DoD pistol trials of the 1980s.

The P89 standardized the improved firing pin safety system, an grub screw secured rear sight and had an improved (thicker) barrel link, and improved accuracy due to a modifications to the barrel/slide component interrelationship. During its production cycle, numerous other improvements were applied/incorporated into the P89; probably the most major (and the most physically visible) was an additional modification to the barrel and slide positioning relationship, which resulted in the breach end of the barrel rising above the slide plane when in battery; I believe that this modification was introduced around the 305- serial range. P89 magazines were modified to sit slightly higher in the receiver, apparently easing the travel of the cartridge from magazine to chambering; I believe that this modification occurred around the 307- serial range (going on the Ruger magazine portion of their website specifies the serial range concerned). Magazines also changed in mateerial and construction, from a blued tune with a flat sheet metal baseplate to stainless steel with a polymer (and thicker/slightly more protrusive) baseplate. I believe that the recoil spring guide also was modified during the P89 years, both in finish and from a "nub" end to a flat end.

Safety levers also changed in configuration during production, both in the shelf length and physical position, making the safety manipulations far easier and more instinctive. The original military-oriented lanyard loop mainspring cap was replaced with a flush-fitting (non-lanyard loop) mainspring cap as well.

Needless to say, there were numerous other incrimental modifications made during the P89's production history, most unannounced outside of Ruger.

Having owned a P85 and 2 P89s, in my empirical experience, while the P85 was (and is) certainly an acceptable gun, the P89 is likely a far better one. My current on, a very late production 315- serial gun, produced in the 3rd quarter of 2007 as a recipient of a major Ruger product and processes improvement program shortly before the P89 production was terminated is an absolute tackdriver, and a joy to shoot.

Best, Jon

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Nice write ups and pics. Love the older guns especially the Ruger P series tanks. Is this the gun you picked up instead of the Mark 23? If so you sure saved some coin!

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
Nice write ups and pics. Love the older guns especially the Ruger P series tanks. Is this the gun you picked up instead of the Mark 23? If so you sure saved some coin!

Cough cough, ahem, cough cough no... that should be here this week.

posted Hide Post
I remember some talk about two piece barrels as well on the older 85's. This was blamed for less than stellar accuracy as well.

I've never pushed mine as far as accuracy on paper.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackimoe:
I remember some talk about two piece barrels as well on the older 85's. This was blamed for less than stellar accuracy as well.

I've never pushed mine as far as accuracy on paper.

Ruger changed the lock up method on the later P85s and continuing into the P89/P90 Guns which greatly increased accuracy. On the later guns with improved lock up you can see the rear of the chamber / breach block visibly raised / higher than the top of the slide.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigFan:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Lets see some photos of it.

Who, me? LOL. Give me a few days; I'll try to remember to take a pic when things settle back down...

Still not sure if you were really asking for a picture of my P-89, but here it is anyway. The mag pad is an old Dillon Precision mag bumper pad from the early '90's.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is nice! I am hoping to find a p89 someday