SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Contemplating going Red Dot on a pistol
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating going Red Dot on a pistol Login/Join 
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the LASIK. Altough night driving kinda sucks since lights seem to bloom or "halo", I'd do it all over again.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently went to a red dot, and wish I had done it much sooner. Accuracy is much better, and speed is pretty good and is getting better.

What I found most interesting, is that when I put a Delta Point Pro on my P320 fullsize, the amount of pistol movement I was seeing was shocking. However after a short time, my hands became much more stable. This tells me that my brain and muscles became better at holding the pistol without movement.

I just added the Romeo 1 Pro to my P320c. Only problem is that my leather holsters have to be replaced with red dot compatible models. Just put two up for sale in the classified section.

For the P320c, I ordered a complete slide with the red dot installed. It came with a tall front site, so that issue was solved.
On my full size, I ordered a slide pre milled, and the front site was standard height. Probably will leave it this way, as it is mostly a range gun.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, after having a side-by-side test with my pistols (never done that before...I should have....) the differences became VERY obvious. Not what I would have expected not having shot them in such quick succession before.

P320 Carry (with SIG X-Carry grip and SIG flat trigger), 9mm

HK VP9, stock

CZ P10F with Cajun trigger and firing pin

Those three were far more different than I thought. I THOUGHT the P10 was the flattest shooting of them all, and that the P320 had the most muzzle flip, and the VP9 was the most ergonomic.

In reality, the P320 came back on target just as easily as the P10F, the VP9 was the "harshest" recoiling of them all, and the P10F was actually not as smooth as I remembered.

The P320 was the softest recoiling of the three. The P10F's recoil was less torque-y than the HK but had more of a thud when it the slide was fully to the rear. The VP9's was just kinda harsh in terms of recoil impulse, and wasn't as thud-y as the P10F but instead was more twisty in the hand and a bit more flippy.

Fancy terms, huh.

But ANYWAY, the point was to see which platform I wanted to make my one and only full-size 9mm platform for a red dot application. The SIG P320 Carry won out by a noticeable margin, thanks likely to the X-Carry frame. I'm now going to get it and my P365 milled for a dot, and sell the VP9, P10F, and my PX4 to fund the endeavor and simplify my manual of arms.

Now the questions: Which optic to choose, and where to have the slides milled?

I'm leaning heavily to a Trijicon RMRcc on the P365 and probably a regular RMR on the P320, though the SRO is intriguing.

I'm looking at either my local gunsmith, or Jagerworks, or Maple Leaf Firearms in TX to do the slide milling.

I'm open to recommendations for both optics and slide milling people, as this is uncharted territory (but at least I've settled on a pistol platform). Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
congrats on Lasik. I had it last year and it's been wonderful.

My brother had his second Lasik six years ago and he's going nearsighted again and his doctor just told him he's not eligible for a third "touchup" so he's getting glasses. Sucks.

I honestly would suggest figuring out which gun you are most proficient with and putting a red dot on that. You already have accessories and extra mags for that gun, so instead of starting a collection for a new gun, use what you have.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, did that. See above post. Smile

Open to recommendations.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm leaning heavily to a Trijicon RMRcc on the P365 and probably a regular RMR on the P320, though the SRO is intriguing.

I'm looking at either my local gunsmith, or Jagerworks, or Maple Leaf Firearms in TX to do the slide milling.

For open emitter optics I would go with the RMR print. Make sure to keep the irons rear dovetail behind the optic; doing otherwise kills the SRO mounting option. I would also make sure that the cut accepts Holosun; while they have similar patterns, some optic cuts or plates need adjustment between the two. This would give you one cut - multiple optics options deal.

Maple Leaf is excellent. No experience with SIG, their Glock cut was the deepest in industry, reasonably priced and with a reasonable turnaround.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
quote:

For open emitter optics I would go with the RMR print. Make sure to keep the irons rear dovetail behind the optic; doing otherwise kills the SRO mounting option. I would also make sure that the cut accepts Holosun; while they have similar patterns, some optic cuts or plates need adjustment between the two. This would give you one cut - multiple optics options deal.

Maple Leaf is excellent. No experience with SIG, their Glock cut was the deepest in industry, reasonably priced and with a reasonable turnaround.

Excellent. Thank you.

In addition to Maple Leaf I'm considering Jagerwerks (for the P320, as they don't cut the P365 for the RMRcc), and Impact Machine out of Louisiana as that's who Jagerwerks referred me to for the P365.

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I only have experience with JagerWerks and I am completely satisfied with the work (RMR/Glock 19).

I had them refinish the slide in black nitride, and it is a much better improvement in looks and feel than the factory gen4 Glock finish.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For my P320c, I just bought the Romeo 1 Pro. Like the Delta PP, the battery is accessible from the top. Size is moderate, and the window is large enough to easily see the target and red dot.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I thought about Nitride, but I've already Cerakoted my P320 slide and I like how it turned out, so I'll likely just have them coat the milled portion and call it good.

As for the Romeo 1 Pro, I've actually been impressed with the little experience I've had with the SIG pistol optics (including the regular Romeo 1), but I'm going to go with Trijicon for these two, for a number of reasons.

H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
If you are going to do it, my opinion is mount one that still allows you to used the iron sights.... that is what I have on my P320 and as has been mentioned it takes some work to find the dot at first... what I found was more natural was to draw and use the iron sights initially and then transition to the dot ..... I know sounds time consuming but it really isn't.

I went the exact opposite. I blacked out my front sight on my P320 so I couldn't see it.

Now with that said.... I actually for a defensive handgun went in a different direction.... laser.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread has been great to follow. I was having an identical thought to the OP and finding this was huge.
I had a few in the safe that I knew I'd never really shoot again, so the choice was either to have a slide machined or sell one/purchase one that was already optic ready.
I went with the latter of the two ideas, due to my indecision on optic choice. There was a "reasonable price" on the Arex Delta Gen 2 and it comes with 4-5 different plates to adapt the optic of my choice. My biggest challenge will be going back to a striker fired handgun, after becoming as comfortable as I could, shooting SA/DA hammer fired handguns, mostly by Beretta. It will be a learning curve and I am going to dedicate the needed time.
Thanks to all who have taken the time to contribute to this thread and I look forward to reading all future posts.
LaMont in AZ

Posts: 41 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad it helps, LaMont. I figured I probably wasn't the only person considering these options.

HOWEVER, one thing I've yet to do is shoot my P320 Carry directly against my duty Glock 17 Gen. 5. That's the only other "contender" pistol I have access to. And by "contender" I mean a platform I'd consider suitable for a red dot, in that it's easily milled (or comes already milled from the factory), aesthetically pleasing with a dot on the slide, has a proven track record of functionality with a dot on the slide, etc...

The FN509 series I've held and liked, and have heard good things about, but I'm trying to avoid always looking for better as it's 1) the enemy of "good" and most importantly 2) it's an incredibly expensive wild goose chase for incremental improvement. Plus, 3) training and training and training will make up for a "less good" platform anyway.

Yes, always seek improvement. No, I don't have unlimited funds to try out EVERY platform and see which one is best suitable to my physiology and needs. I'm sure any of the "big players" would be good enough for me as I'm not SFOD-D or DEVGRU (and I heard they favor Glocks anyway...).

My thoughts on choosing the P320 Carry/P365 platforms with dots are this:

1) They're easy for me to shoot accurately, compared to other platforms.
2) They have excellent, stock triggers. If possible, I'd like to keep stock/factory parts for reasons you can imagine.
3) They are in common circulation. The P320 is now the handgun of the US military, and the P365 is only growing in popularity in the carry market.
4) The P320 so far has a good track record of running with Optics (P365XL with their optic cut seems to be doing well so far).

I picked up SIG Xray3 suppressor sights to have installed on both the P320 and P365, as they look to co-witness well (lower 1/3rd it seems) with a milled slide and are easy-ish to pick up but not super busy so as to clutter a sight picture.

Next up is grabbing a RMRcc and Type 2 RMR (likely 3.25MOA version) and then settling on a place to get these milled.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dehughes,

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I’m nearing the end of completing a 40 hour professional development class at the academy (as a student). All of it has been on a timer. Today, we shot all day in the rain. I’ve shot about 1300 rounds so far this week with my 17 RMR.

I’m pretty in love with the set up. As time goes on, I become more and more in love with it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Rain is one of the things that made me worried about open emitter sights. My next serious pistol purchase will be a 43Xmos or 19mos, so I will find out soon.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
jlj, what kind of maintenance are you doing on pistol/RMR during the course?

Posts: 15890 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

Gun was lubed really good prior to class. All I’ve done this far is clean the lens at night. During the rain today, I cleaned the lens at lunch then again just now.

I’ll deep clean it and relube this weekend. We re shooting frange and it’s really dirty. I’m a huge fan of this set up.

I’ve got a 34 that I am about to put some time into. Pretty excited about it.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

Gun was lubed really good prior to class. All I’ve done this far is clean the lens at night. During the rain today, I cleaned the lens at lunch then again just now.

I’ll deep clean it and relube this weekend. We re shooting frange and it’s really dirty. I’m a huge fan of this set up.

I’ve got a 34 that I am about to put some time into. Pretty excited about it.

Good to know. Thanks.

One thing some of my co-workers found was that rain/debris in front of the laser and/or fog-on-the-glass can be a deal for open-emitters like the RMR. Have you run into any occlusion issues like this in your 40hr class thusfar, JLJ?

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I’ve only experienced water on the emitter this week. However, a quick flip 90 degrees takes care of the problem. Anytime the slide cycles, it slings the excess. Front glass occlusion isn’t an issue shooting with both eyes open. Water on either side of the glass isn’t an issue either. Even in total failure with front and back occlusion has a work around. It only works out to about 12 yards or so.

Car wax is another fix on the lens to stop water problems.

We shot out to 50 yards or so in the rain. I didn’t have any issues that cost me a serious amount of speed. The course has been interesting from the perspective that it’s been drills based. No real teaching, just coaching. Good shooters have been pushed, struggling shooters have been allowed to fail with subtle coaching to fix their problems to make them better without over teaching. To me, what an advanced course needs to be. A welcome change to what I’m used to after 25 years of disappointment.

www.opspectraining.com

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I assume you mostly carry concealed, or with a Safariland with optic guard? My other question is how snow interferes with it.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post