SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I put Trijicons on my G42 and now the pistol is hitting way low
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I put Trijicons on my G42 and now the pistol is hitting way low Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Blade height of the Bright&Tough Trijicon front sight for the G43/43 is .185.

Blade height of the Bright&Tough Trijicon front sight for the G17 et al is .150.

Looks like I need the .150 front sight.

I realize different shooters use different sight pictures. I like for the top of the front sight to cut the point of impact in half. If I used a 6 o'clock hold, I'd be nowhere near where I'm aiming with this pistol, right now. At 10 yards, I have to completely cover the target with the front sight, and I'm still shooting a bit low.

Very surprising. Has anyone else experienced this?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, I ordered a Trijicon GL01F from Brownell's. This front sight is .035" shorter than the standard G42/43 front sight. Should be just about right.

I may try the .185" Trijicon front sight on my G43. Has anyone used a Trijicon front in conjunction with the OEM Glock rear sight?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Should be just about right.

Yes, it should. Like baseball, it is a game of inches.

quote:
Has anyone used a Trijicon front in conjunction with the OEM Glock rear sight?

Can't say. Not on a Glock.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it doesn't workout for you try the Ameriglo idots, they shoot poa/poi. They are cheaper as well.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Danman
posted Hide Post
Para, we had a set of Trijicons that were out of spec and off. Had to send them back and have them replaced. Wonder if that's what you're experiencing.

NRA Certified Instructor

Posts: 970 | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have a G42, but I do have a G43, and I run the Trijicon HD's on all my Glocks. I'm not a competition-level shooter, so my concept of precision may not be so exact.

With the HD's, I put the orange dot on what I intend to hit and that seems to work out.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zdog16:
If it doesn't workout for you try the Ameriglo idots, they shoot poa/poi. They are cheaper as well.

I have Ameriglos on my 42 and, as you said, they shoot poa/poi. I like them.

Posts: 63 | Location: Fort Myers, Florida  | Registered: January 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I use a Trijicon with OEM metal rears on at least one of my G17s.

A couple years ago I started shooting low (not sure what happened) so I played around with combinations and since I like a front night sight only it only made sense just to buy it and stick with the OEM metal rear.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't think the sights are defective. My new front sight should be here maybe by the end of the week. We'll see what happens.

The one thing I can say is that the damn thing functions now, runs like a top after I modified the slide stop. If I can just get it shooting to point of aim, we're in bidness.

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Situations like this is why I generally find myself buying Dawson sights for every gun... for their "perfect impact" guarantee. I guess it's easier for me to do so considering I do not use night sights.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Trijicon uses this .185 front sight only for the G42/43. All other Trijicon Bright&Tough sight sets use .150 front sights. Why? It's not because of a difference in rear sight height between the G42/43 Trijicons and all other Trijicons BTNS. Check the dimensions of the rear sight. The only difference is rear sight body width, to fit onto the narrower slide. Given this, it makes no sense to me to have a taller front sight.

The G43 and G26 have almost the same barrel length and almost the same sight radius. Why a taller front sight on a pistol that is nothing more than a skinny G26?

Makes no sense to me. We'll find out soon. Looks like my new front sight will arrive this Saturday.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The G43 and G26 have almost the same barrel length and almost the same sight radius. Why a taller front sight on a pistol that is nothing more than a skinny G26?

A gun that produces more muzzle flip before the bullet leaves the barrel might require a taller front sight to compensate. For example my super light S&W 340PD produces much higher points of impact than my old all-stainless model 60. I don’t know much about Glocks, but a sight designer might have decided on theoretical grounds that the 43 would benefit from a taller sight. I’m only speculating, of course, but perhaps during limited testing by people who weren’t all that familiar with Glocks they tended to shoot high with the 43.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:

Makes no sense to me.

Agreed.

Only thing I can think of would be that the shorter barrel of a 42/43 would lead to lower velocities, which would theoretically lead to higher impact, and the need for a taller front sight.. but it doesn't explain the different front sight height for a 26. Dawson uses a .185 on their 42/43, but also use a different height rear than on the double stack glocks.

Edit: beat to the punch by Sigfreund

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to the G42 because I've yet to shoot one (for fear that I will actually like it and that I'll end up with another .380 that I won't use). The gun reportedly is a very soft shooter so I tend to doubt that muzzle flip would play a role in determining the height of the provided sights.

I had a similar encounter with Bright & Tough sights when I had West Coast Armory put a set on my UPSc many years back. Took a perfectly fine gun--albeit with a less than desirable 'combat' sight picture config with the factory 3-dot contrasts--that hit exactly where pointing and made it into an annoying pistol that shot 4" low at seven yards. The armorer at WCA was sympathetic, but after hassling with Trijicon CS for a few months with initial insinuations by them that I didn't know how to properly use their sights, I bought Meprolights and lo and behold the problem went away.

I like RMRs, their Accupoint scopes and have even used a couple of sets of tritium on subsequent Glocks, but I confess that I've never really forgiven them for that episode.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There's nothing defective. The problem is apparent. The front sight is too tall. It's as simple as that. No need for Trijicon customer service.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
There's nothing defective. The problem is apparent. The front sight is too tall. It's as simple as that. No need for Trijicon customer service.

Sorry, I should've made my point more obvious. I argued the same with regards to my USPc, that the front sight was too tall (or the rear was too short). It didn't get far with their CS at the time. I admit that I was looking for relief from them, got none and I had the armorer put on the Meprolights.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The solution is in transit to me.

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I use a Glock front night sight with the stock rear sight on my G42 and it works really well for me.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thank you

Well, the new front sight is mounted. Now to just get to the range soon.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Mission accomplished. We're back in bidness

GL01F front sight, Aguila 95 grain fmj, 10 yards.