SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The WORST Duty handguns you were issued L/E please step in...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The WORST Duty handguns you were issued L/E please step in... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
jbourneidentity - Shitty triggers and resultant mediocre to poor accuracy. Also shitty build quality. Roll pins walking out, rusting issues, mag drop problems. Just lousy pistols.

But, not my problem. Smile I was senior (and had a "Rabbi" in command staff) and was grandfathered in for my last 6 months on the job. On my last day - 12/31/14 - there was a 4506-1 in my holster. Regards 18DAI

Wow. I didn't expect that about the M&P .45. Sorry to hear it. BTW, I like the 4506, too. Thank you, sir.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I'm starting to see a common theme with the DAO S&W 3rd Gen .40s... Big Grin

One of our large neighboring agencies carried those for many years, only finally switching to Glocks in 2009 or so. (I don't recall if they were 4043s or 4046s.) They were definitely polarizing. Some guys loved them, but some absolutely hated them.

quote:
Originally posted by sw4566:
I hate to say it, but the worst duty gun I was ever issued was a SIG 220ST.

What made it the worst? Was it just the low capacity?

Where do I begin? Capacity wasn’t an issue as we were coming out of S&W 4566’s. We had a large number of left handed people, who were trained on an ambi slide mounted decocker. We had tritium vials fall out of the sights, grip screws rust and or fall out. Slide/frame galling was frequent ( and we were issued and used RIG +p grease). We had safety levers that were a few thousands too short, such that the pistol would appear operational, but in reality they would not have fired(some of those weren’t discovered until 6 months after being issued). Somewhere I have a copy of an old email I sent to Bruce Gray detailing all the issues. The guns just sucked and CS from SIG was non-existent.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gen 4 Glock 22. I hated that gun, but, oddly enough, I shot it well. But that, I am certain, is because I WILLED myself to do so, not because I enjoyed shooting that gun or pulling it's horrible trigger.

Houge grips helped, as did swapping the sights, but still, I don't miss it one bit. Even when I had the chance to purchase it at a very good price when turning it in for new issue, I declined. I'm a sentimental guy, but not that sentimental.

While we are still stuck with Glock...despite attempts to liberate us...at least I'm now issued a Gen 5 G17, which, while still being a Glock, is a vast improvement in every other way. The addition of TruGlo Tritium Pro sights and a Talon rubber grip actually make me almost wanna purchase my own. Almost. Wink

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
S&W 4006...I never had a problem with it, no malfunctions or anything, but it was HEAVY and only had 11 round magazines. I also hated the giant guard things on the sides the rear sight. My 4006 in particular also appeared to have been frequently used as a hammer by the previous deputy it was issued to.

At my previous department I carried a personally owned stainless HK USP .40. I begged to be able to carry that instead. No dice, we had to carry only what was issued, no exceptions. That rule still applies, one issued weapon, no choice, no exception.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 583 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
knew a guy that was a Chesterfield PD, when they used 1006's or 1076's,

The funny part of that was I know some Feebis that said they had nothing but problems with the 1076. KSP had them for over 20 years without issues.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Old Vark WSO
posted Hide Post
Mid nineties - last federal agency (I believe) to issue revolvers - Ruger GP100. I left a highway patrol outfit with new Beretta 96s to be handed a .357 Magnum.

I knew about the Rugers before I got to the academy as the local agents told me what to expect. The trigger pull felt like it was 85 pounds! After a day of dry firing and then a day on the range at FLETC, I no longer had any feeling left in the pad of my trigger finger. We did a lot of range time, so it stayed that way until I got to my assigned office.

It was expected (and I did) that nearly all new hires would return their GP100 to the academy after purchasing their own duty sidearm. Any high quality double action first pull semi auto or all steel six shot revolver - 9mm to .45 Colt was permitted. That’s when I bought my first Sig - a P229. But I couldn’t decide between .40 and .45 so I got P220 too. Big Grin

Still have those Sigs and quite a few more now.

Posts: 75 | Location: Biggest Little City in the World | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
jbourneidentity - Shitty triggers and resultant mediocre to poor accuracy. Also shitty build quality. Roll pins walking out, rusting issues, mag drop problems. Just lousy pistols.

But, not my problem. Smile I was senior (and had a "Rabbi" in command staff) and was grandfathered in for my last 6 months on the job. On my last day - 12/31/14 - there was a 4506-1 in my holster. Regards 18DAI

Wow. I didn't expect that about the M&P .45. Sorry to hear it. BTW, I like the 4506, too. Thank you, sir.

I'm no expert on the 45, but I think the M&P 2.0 versions are much better than the original 1.0's. At least my 9mm 2.0 is tons better than my 1.0 version.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I'm actually kinda surprised at all the hate for the 3rd Gen Smith 40xx guns.

I have never liked Smith autos in general but I thought all the 3 gens were well loved.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I'm actually kinda surprised at all the hate for the 3rd Gen Smith 40xx guns.

I have never liked Smith autos in general but I thought all the 3 gens were well loved.

Chris

For the record...I hated my Gen 3 Glock 22 with the mandatory New York trigger almost as much as my 4006, but the Glock was lighter, had night sights (that weren't dead) and a guide rod laser. The Smith only took my WORST spot by about half a point. LOL

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 583 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Well the NY trigger on a Glock is.......well its....something else. Not that I am the biggest Glock guy out there but talk about taking a perfectly adequate system and saying..."now what can we do to fuck this up just enough..." Big Grin

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4006TSW. The only pistol where parts regularly fall off (de-cocking lever) or break (draw bar). Glad to see that thing go. When we transitioned to a new pistol they asked me if I wanted to purchase my 4006. I asked them why would I want to. It’s not like I have a boat in need of an anchor. Smile

Posts: 176 | Registered: May 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
My first issue gun was a very well worn 686 that along with all the other duty guns, spit tons of jacket shavings because of timing issues from lots of use and zero armoring. I bought my own GP100 and people on either side of me on the line were eternally grateful not to get stung during quals. Can’t really blame the platform so much as the agency for not keeping them tuned up.

My next duty gun was a triple serial number P220 that didn’t give me any problems for nearly 25 years before it was replaced with a P220R. Now I carry a personal P226 no rail. Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
I knew about the Rugers before I got to the academy as the local agents told me what to expect. The trigger pull felt like it was 85 pounds!

I had a much different experience when I switched from agency issued 686 to a personal GP100. My DA pull was better than the agency guns right out of the box.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Vark WSO:
Mid nineties - last federal agency (I believe) to issue revolvers

Which agency, if you don't mind sharing?

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Beretta 96 Vertec Inox. Besides the weight of carrying that cannon, I wasn’t a fan of a duty gun with a safety.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Old Vark WSO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Mid nineties - last federal agency (I believe) to issue revolvers

Which agency, if you don't mind sharing?

No, I don’t mind. Retired now - for 20 years I had the privilege of working with lots of highly dedicated people.

It was the U.S. Marshals Service. FWIW, around 2000, they started issuing Glock .40s to new deputies, and by 2003/2004, everyone had a mandatory Glock 22 or 23.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Old Vark WSO,

Posts: 75 | Location: Biggest Little City in the World | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was issued a brand new Model 66 in .357 Mag when I hired on in 1989. I never felt out gunned while carrying it. I later carried a personal owed Sig P-220 in .45 which I truly loved.
A new Chief mandated that everyone would carry the Glock Model 22 3rd Gen.
I hated that pistol for a year or so because I had to retire my Sig and I felt like I had traded down. The hate later changed to just general dislike after I knocked my rear site over and I learned how to shoot it properly.

Front sight...Front sight...Front sight...Only Hits Count.
NRA Life Member
Frank John Boy -Police Lingo

Posts: 125 | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

It was U.S. Marshals Service. FWIW.

Last week I ran into one of the deputies I work with occasionally at the range. He was checking the zero on his Gen5 Glock 19 with an RMR attached.

Shows how much times have changed.

Virtually every federal service will have access to a pistol mounted optic in the next couple of years. I know for fact that CBP, USMS, FAMS, and ATF are headed that way.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the misfortune of being issued a Glock 22. It shot fine until I put a WMLS on it. It wouldn't feed for $hit. Tried new magazine springs, new followers, etc. Nothing helped so they pulled all of the 22s and offered us a Glock 19 or Glock 21. I went with the 21 and never looked back.
Apparently a lot of agencies had problems with Glocks and mounted lights.

Posts: 114 | Registered: February 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richardh:
S & W Sigma in .40. We transitioned from model 19 to semi autos. They had so many malfunctions that S&W totally replaced them. The replacement was nearly as bad. Finally they went to Glock 22.

Yep. I once had 21 malfunctions(light primer strike) in a 50 round shooting qual in the academy with my Sigma. What a piece of shit. It lead to my academy nickname... Tap rack bang. God bless Gaston Glock. We eventually went to the Glock 22 and then to the Glock 17. I spent 4 years with the Sigma and it it basically meant I was basically unarmed for the first 4 years of my police career.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post