SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Retirement Pistol Suggestions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retirement Pistol Suggestions Login/Join 
posted
I still need to purchase retirement pistol before the end of the year. The CZ Scorpion EVO S3 did not work out, too much bolt recoil. Only shot it once.

Does anyone have any experience with Wilson Combat 92G Brigadier vs. Centurion Tacticals? With my tendernitis I love shooting my 226 MK25, and carry my M11-A1. Purpose is for HD, Social Chaos, Range. I might carry it in a bag during times of social unrest. I have also considered the HK USP 9mm but cannot find any ranges in No. VA to test the pistol.

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ted Yost browning hipower from estate sporting limited.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CZ Shadow 2 from Cajun Gunworks .
Around $1700.00 fully tricked out .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
maybe call Colonial or Dominion in RVA to see if they have a HK,,and do a day trip to try the HK out?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve shot 3 different custom CZ pistols and they were all impressive. Super nice triggers on them. Really enjoyable to shoot.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you thought of a Dan Wesson 1911 style in 9 mm? low recoil.
Also get a 22 rimfire pistol if you do not have one already. Ruger MK IV is my choice. Follows me to the range on almost every trip and is cheap to shoot and EZ to clean.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I'll second the Motion for a Tuned by Cajun/CZ Custom, PO1 or CZ 75. I have both and they are a JOY to shoot. A Shadow 2 would make the list as well.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig operator:
Have you thought of a Dan Wesson 1911 style in 9 mm? low recoil.
Also get a 22 rimfire pistol if you do not have one already. Ruger MK IV is my choice. Follows me to the range on almost every trip and is cheap to shoot and EZ to clean.

Thanks for the suggestions Sig Operator. I already have the Mark IV 22/45 lite as well as other 22's. I have thought about a 1911 but SAO is not my style. Thanks anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted Hide Post
If you love shooting your 226. Why don't you send it to Grayguns and have them totally trick it out?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
If you love shooting your 226. Why don't you send it to Grayguns and have them totally trick it out?

This. Or, I was going to suggest a nice revolver, but then I caught the part about tendonitis so I don't know if that's an option.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Thought about that but I just want another gun for my collection

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
Does anyone have any experience with Wilson Combat 92G Brigadier vs. Centurion Tacticals? With my tendernitis I love shooting my 226 MK25, and carry my M11-A1. Purpose is for HD, Social Chaos, Range. I might carry it in a bag during times of social unrest. I have also considered the HK USP 9mm but cannot find any ranges in No. VA to test the pistol.

Thanks.

I have a Wilson Brig Tac. Bought it before I knew multiple versions would be released.

The Brigadier vs. the Centurion;
  • Brig slide, 4.7" barrel vs shortened Vertec slide, 4.3" barrel
  • Brig has a night sight front w/ a white ring- Centurion has a Hackathorn night sight front w/ an orange ring. Both are blackout rears.
  • Dirty Olive G10 grips vs. Gray/Black Ultra-Thin G10 grips
  • 3x 15-rd Sand magazines vs. 2x 17-rd + 1x 20-rd Beretta mags
  • Lanyard loop vs. extended mag guide (magwell at the rear only)
  • The Brig is 2.7-2.8 ounces heavier, which is all on the top end (slide and barrel)
  • The Centurion is $55 more

Otherwise they are identical for features.

I also have a USP. It's a Combat-Competition 9mm model with fiberoptic front sight, match-LEM trigger, and jet funnel.

I purchased both used from forum members (maybe not this forum?)

My impression; The HK is fine gun. I have no qualms about loading it up and shooting a few hundred rounds through it, using it for competition, etc. It's a workhorse gun that I like to shoot, but it's still a USP. The gun isn't comfortable to me, not like the Beretta anyway. It was also several hundred dollars less.

The Beretta is just a nice gun. The action is very sweet, it's very comfortable and easy to shoot. Making the choice today I'd likely go for the Centurion, though. The Brigadier slide wasn't a selling point other than being stronger than a standard 92. I believe the Vertec is also an improvement over the base 92 (I could be mistaken). I like the straight lines of the Centurion more. The orange front sight is better to me, as is the mag guide vs. lanyard loop. I'd imagine the Centurion quells a bit of the "This is a full-size pistol" feeling of the standard arrangement the Brigadier follows.

The only place it's lacking for how nice of a gun it is; the trigger. I'm going to do the Langdon trigger-job-in-a-bag on mine. It's a decent trigger, it's not $1000+ gun trigger to me. Mine was not ordered with work on the action. If the Langdon kit turns out similar to reports I've seen, I'll be very happy with it at $1165+.

If only the Wilson Compact wasn't such a short run, though. But I digress.

If I had to pick my "tricked out" (somewhat) USP vs. my Wilson Beretta, I'd go with the Wilson Beretta with a trigger job/action kit/tune-up of some kind, and not look back.
  •  
    Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rustpot:
    quote:

Thanks.

I have a Wilson Brig Tac. Bought it before I knew multiple versions would be released.

The Brigadier vs. the Centurion;
  • Brig slide, 4.7" barrel vs shortened Vertec slide, 4.3" barrel
  • Brig has a night sight front w/ a white ring- Centurion has a Hackathorn night sight front w/ an orange ring. Both are blackout rears.
  • Dirty Olive G10 grips vs. Gray/Black Ultra-Thin G10 grips
  • 3x 15-rd Sand magazines vs. 2x 17-rd + 1x 20-rd Beretta mags
  • Lanyard loop vs. extended mag guide (magwell at the rear only)
  • The Brig is 2.7-2.8 ounces heavier, which is all on the top end (slide and barrel)
  • The Centurion is $55 more

Otherwise they are identical for features.

I also have a USP. It's a Combat-Competition 9mm model with fiberoptic front sight, match-LEM trigger, and jet funnel.

I purchased both used from forum members (maybe not this forum?)

My impression; The HK is fine gun. I have no qualms about loading it up and shooting a few hundred rounds through it, using it for competition, etc. It's a workhorse gun that I like to shoot, but it's still a USP. The gun isn't comfortable to me, not like the Beretta anyway. It was also several hundred dollars less.

The Beretta is just a nice gun. The action is very sweet, it's very comfortable and easy to shoot. Making the choice today I'd likely go for the Centurion, though. The Brigadier slide wasn't a selling point other than being stronger than a standard 92. I believe the Vertec is also an improvement over the base 92 (I could be mistaken). I like the straight lines of the Centurion more. The orange front sight is better to me, as is the mag guide vs. lanyard loop. I'd imagine the Centurion quells a bit of the "This is a full-size pistol" feeling of the standard arrangement the Brigadier follows.

The only place it's lacking for how nice of a gun it is; the trigger. I'm going to do the Langdon trigger-job-in-a-bag on mine. It's a decent trigger, it's not $1000+ gun trigger to me. Mine was not ordered with work on the action. If the Langdon kit turns out similar to reports I've seen, I'll be very happy with it at $1165+.

If only the Wilson Compact wasn't such a short run, though. But I digress.

If I had to pick my "tricked out" (somewhat) USP vs. my Wilson Beretta, I'd go with the Wilson Beretta with a trigger job/action kit/tune-up of some kind, and not look back.

• Great and informative post Rustpot. I appreciate it. I shot a regular Beretta 92FS at my range today and liked it. It is a great looking gun. Very aesthetically pleasing. There are some wonderful and cool looking grips to obtain Ford from Hogue.

1 issue I did note was that I found it a little front heavy. I have a few questions if you do not mind.

If I found the regular 92 FS front heavy I imagine the Brig. would feel even more front/top heavy?

Would there be much recoil difference Between the Wilson Combat 90 2G Brig. versus Centurion?

The Centurion looks like it would be much more easier to carry and also shoot.

Sounds like you have some great guns in your collection. Very nice.

Picture of Rustpot
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Great and informative post Rustpot. I appreciate it. I shot a regular Beretta 92FS at my range today and liked it. It is a great looking gun. Very aesthetically pleasing. There are some wonderful and cool looking grips to obtain Ford from Hogue.

1 issue I did note was that I found it a little front heavy. I have a few questions if you do not mind.

If I found the regular 92 FS front heavy I imagine the Brig. would feel even more front/top heavy?

Would there be much recoil difference Between the Wilson Combat 90 2G Brig. versus Centurion?

The Centurion looks like it would be much more easier to carry and also shoot.

Sounds like you have some great guns in your collection. Very nice.

I haven't shot a Centurion. Just looking at the feature list, as similar as they are, and having owned the Brig, I believe the Centurion would be my choice between the two. It's not enough of a want to buy both or seek out a sale of my Brigadier to fund a Centurion. If a Centurion were for sale at what I considered a 'deal' and I had the money... I'd probably have a hard time not spending it.

Beretta lists the 92FS at 33.3oz, 4.9" barrel. Wilson lists the Brig Tac at 32oz (and also at 36oz on another page on their website -- the Centurion at 30.4 & 33.2, I suspect these different weights are with and without magazine). The Brigadier does truncate the barrel slightly at 4.7" (you can see in photos it does not protrude as far from the slide). The Wilsons also have several items; the decocking lever, guide rod, mag catch, and trigger, replaced with steel parts.

That said, on a full size pistol we're splitting a few ounces. I wouldn't suspect the Centurion to be a disappointment, even if the recoil is more severe, as the Brig Tac shoots softly enough that a mild increase is still way ahead of others. The increased balance from the tighter package may be an improvement worth any small amount of added recoil.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Rustpot
    posted Hide Post
    A few photos, because everyone loves photos. And thank you for the previous compliments.

USP;
    https://i.imgur.com/dw0VVCh.jpg
    Brig Tac;
    https://i.imgur.com/U07Y3V6.jpg

Let's be careful
    out there
    posted Hide Post
    save a couple grand. Get a Glock 5th gen 19X

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rustpot:
    A few photos, because everyone loves photos. And thank you for the previous compliments.

USP;
    https://i.imgur.com/dw0VVCh.jpg
    Brig Tac;
    https://i.imgur.com/U07Y3V6.jpg

Nice photos of your pistols Rustpot. Now I want to go out and buy both but I will wait until my impulse calms down.

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by LtJL:
    save a couple grand. Get a Glock 5th gen 19X

Actually LtJL, I like the simplicity and durability of Glocks but I feel too much recoil with my tendernitis. I guess "Perfection" cannot be had for everyone.

posted Hide Post
    I'd get the Langdon Elite LTT (with trigger job) over the Wilson...droool... Eek

http://www.recoilweb.com/new-b...-beretta-136712.html

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Rustpot
    posted Hide Post
    ^^The LTT would also be a fine choice, and has many upgrades in line with the Wilson models.

Another option to consider is the Langdon M9. The changes to a stock M9 are not as numerous as the Wilson, it looks a bit more plain/stock. G-action (decock only), a good set of grips, a decent sight setup (orange dot front, blackout rear), no rail, larger mag catch, D-spring. Basically an M9 with a few features Beretta fans look for and common upgrades that are made.
    http://www.beretta.com/en-us/langdon-m9/

At a street price of closer to $700, the Langdon makes sense over a bone stock 92/M9 if those upgrades matter to you and the features of the Wilson versions or Elite LTT are not needed in your opinion.

A downside of the Brig Tac is the unique combination of Brigadier slide + rail making holster selections a bit thin. I have not looked for Centurion holsters, you may be stuck with a 92 railed holster with some empty length at the nose going with Wilson's version with a rail.