SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta Tomcat Experience?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta Tomcat Experience? Login/Join 
posted
An acquaintance is trying to unload a "like-new" Tomcat. I'm intrigued by the small size. Is it small enough for a pocket pistol? Is it reliable? I realize it's only a .32 - but if the price is right......? Any experience with this pistol would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have never owned one, but understand some early ones had problems with frame cracking issues.

Later Tomcats were corrected for this problem, the Tomcat seems to be very reliable, and is large enough to get a secure grip on while firing, has sights you can use and see clearly.

Low recoil I would expect, but wouldn't think it would totally dissapear in a front pocket.

Have wanted one, but just never got the gumpction to purchase one.

I'm sure a Tomcat owner in the forum will add more.

No idea on prices.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Is it blue or Inox? The original blue ones had slides that were too light and the frames would crack. The beefier Stainless (inox) slides didn't have this issue. I had one before and it was more of a gimmick then anything. A Seecamp is a much better 32 and waaaaay smaller.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it is small enough for pocket carry and yes they are reliable. They can crack at the same place on many frames. It doesn't tend to effect reliability when they do crack. Beretta went to a wide slide version to slow down slide velocity and stop the cracking.

Jury is out on if that really worked. Some crack many never do.

For a good price I would buy it regardless. I would never overpay for a tomcat unless it was the titanium version. Yes, there is a titanium version.

Good price, check. No crack already, check. Pictures, check.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
I have a blue one that I carried as a back-up for several years. I only fired Winchester Silvertip and jacketed round nose in it. The Silvertip was my carry ammo. The Tomcat is my only semi-auto pistol to never have a malfunction of any kind. I especially like the tip-up barrel feature.

It is true that some Tomcats have had cracks develop in the frame. Mine never has developed a crack.

My Tomcat is a safe queen nowadays as I am retired and the SIG P938 is my EDC.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I had one. It was what I carried when I couldn't carry a gun. Smile

Mine cracked the frame, and Beretta replaced it no questions asked. The new one was beefed up quite a bit ( it fit tight again in my pocket holster) and I had no problems out if it. I eventually traded it off.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Going by my readings on Berettaforum, about a year ago when I was looking in a 32ACP pistol, the general consensus was all were prone to cracking, no exceptions. Slide design, finish, upgrades, all variants would eventually developed a frame crack under a steady diet of 32ACP.

So I stopped looking at 32ACP altogether, since outside of the Berettas, the options in CA for a 32ACP pistol were slim.

Posts: 122 | Location: California | Registered: July 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
I've got the stainless version - very reliable with the Winchester silvertips. No frame issues of which I'm aware. Better than having no gun at all.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Great for carry guns but they're not meant to be range guns. Serial numbers after 43x,xxx have a wide slide that helps mitigate frames cracks. Note: a cracked frame doesn't ruin the gun...it's a small thin piece that suffers damage and isn't critical.

Newer stainless production guns being made now have a heavier hammer spring to offer more recoil absorption. Side effect is an even heavier DA trigger. I sold my brand new one as I didn't like it compared to older ones. Stainless guns are not immune to cracks, by the way.

I have a new spare blued wide slide in the shelf if you get an early gun in good shape and want to upgrade from a narrow slide.

I carry a 21a in 25acp or 9mm Shield.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I had an Inox version. I think it was made in 2010. No issues with it at all. It shot great. I ended up trading it away to a relative after a year or so since I already had a Seecamp 32 and didn't need both. The Beretta is small but a bit chunky for its size. I'd probably consider another if the price was right and I had a need for another pocket gun. The only used one I saw recently was beat up and overpriced.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
IMO: they're kind of fat for a .32, particularly considering that their bulk doesn't mitigate their frailty.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would second what arfmel said, I had one but sold it because of the bulk and caliber.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both a stnls Tomcat and an NAA Guardian in .32. I can't compare them too much because I haven't yet fired the Tomcat. The Tomcat is right up there with my Kimber Micro as far is machining, fit and finish - I am very happy with it. The Guardian, though, feels lighter and smaller despite being all steel. I would like to post a side-by-side picture but the Guardian is back in Provo being refinished. Off-topic but of interest: NAA will refinish Guardian's for free if you pay shipping both ways. I wanted mine to be bead-blasted so it's costing all of $50 + shipping.

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I really wanted to get one as I love pocket pistols but found too many negatives about it.

1. Frame cracking issues
2. You CANNOT use the hot Euro .32 like Fiocchi in them
3. It's a FAT and heavy little thing for what it is, I think someone said it was as thick as a G26

There are so many better options out there for pocket pistols these days I think.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased one some time back. Took it to the range ONE(1) time, and realized this was not the handgun for me. I sold it quickly, and have never regretted selling it. Mine was a jam-a-matic, along with other quirks. YMMV

I have a KelTec P-32, and an Autagia II, both in 32Auto, and they work 100%.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My wife never liked any pistol I let her try. Her aunt let us try a Tomcat and my wife loved it. I bought her an Inox version the next week. It hasn't been fired much but it's never had a malfunction and it's better than nothing.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own the later 'wide-slide' blue version. Bought new and fired maybe a 1000 times with standard US made ball ammo. No cracked frame yet.

I actually like the little gun and most of it's features. Has good sights and is reliable and accurate. I like having a safety and a hammer double action system. The finish has held up well for a pocket carry gun. Very nice little pistol.

Things I like less...It does NOT have an extractor(works great anyhow)! I don't like the mag-latch in the grip. It is as wide as a Glock 19/17. The bottom edge of the trigger was pointy and sharp on the sides..uncomfortable. I taped-up the triggerguard and gently filed the corners rounder(only mod it needed).

The frame crack issue was more problematic on the earlier skinny slide versions. The owners manual lists acceptable ammunition for the gun. My guess is that many of the newer versions that have busted the frame have used hot-rodded ammo. The problem area is on the right side of the frame where the trigger mechanism passes through the frame...is really thin above the cut-out. Can examine this area with the slide open easily enough and I would carefully examine any used Tomcat I was considering buying. I would probably pass on any of the older thin-slide versions which were really notorious for cracking.

I still carry the cool little Beretta some but the local farm store had a smoking 'Black Friday' sale on Glock 42 .380 pistols a few years back and I more or less replaced the Tomcat with a G42

Posts: 285 | Registered: December 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned a Beretta Tomcat. No frame crack but I did break the firing pin by "dry firing".

Shot it a few times at the in door range and eventually sold it. Replaced with a Kahr P380, IMO a much better pocket gun.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the good info. I have large hands which makes finding a good pocket pistol difficult. I'll see if I can find a Tomcat to actually shoot first. Does anyone know the approximate date that the slide was made heavier - or is it still a coin toss as to whether it would be susceptible to cracking? Thanks again,

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by j38:
Thanks for all the good info. I have large hands which makes finding a good pocket pistol difficult.

I've read about slide bite with these too which may not work based on your comment above.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post