SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    video: shooting Pietta's "Navy Yank" .44 pistol
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

video: shooting Pietta's "Navy Yank" .44 pistol Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
This is a quick video I shot today of a range session with my Pietta "fantasy gun," a steel framed, .44 caliber colt navy. Pietta makes this, well... I guess because they can. The cylinder is the same as a .44 Colt Army, as is the frame, but the barrel and loading lever are upsized versions of the 1851 Navy in .36. The grip frame is the Navy sized frame so some people may prefer that over the larger Army grip frame.

I like this pistol, as I prefer the thump of the .44 blackpowder pistols. I prefer the Army overall, as I like the larger grip frame, but this thing is a hoot.

Video for any interested. If not, no biggie.

https://youtu.be/AWtXTUrfg70

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot my BP pistols in years, so it was good to watch your video. Curious about Hodgdon powder that you used, I checked their website, and it says there's no sulfur smell! What the hell??? Wink

How was the powder, other than that? I can't find real black powder any where, and since Dupont quit making it many years ago, I'm wondering if everybody else quit as well.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
In this video I was shooting Goex black powder FFG... were you referring to another video where I compared Hodgdon's 777 and Pyrodex? Yeah, they both stink worse than black to me. I really hate pyrodex smell and triple 7 isn't much better. 777 is supposed to be more powerful by weight though, so if you're trying to get the max velocity that might be the way to go.

I used to be able to get black powder from a gun store in my town but it went under and nobody else wants to carry it. I'm still using up my 30-year-old stash.

posted Hide Post
I thought I heard Hodgdens fffG, but maybe not...

I still have some ffG and fffG that may be Elephant brand (?) BP? It's about 10 or 15 years old, and was carried by a small fishing and hunting store about 15 miles from me. I used the fffG in my 1860 Army and made up some BP rounds with about 37 grains of ffG for my 1873 Cattleman in .45LC. I still have a box or two of the .45LC rounds somewhere in my ammo stash.

I'll do a search for Goex, as I remember it being pretty decent powder when I was more active in BP shooting.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I thought I heard Hodgdens fffG, but maybe not....
Ah... I used Hornady round balls, and 2FG. Maybe that's where the confusion came from.

Elephant is supposed to be good stuff.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Nice use of "KY windage". Cool

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dearly miss my Ruger Old Army. It was a hoot!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Nice shootin' Tex!
Buy another one and come play Cowboy with us. You can shoot them every weekend!

Also "Navy Yank" would be a neat Alias.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
That does look like fun!

How time consuming is cleaning it?

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
That does look like fun!

How time consuming is cleaning it?
Takes a while for sure. There are people who don't actually disassemble the guts between matches and just clean the bore and cylinder, which is much quicker. they just drip ballistol down in front of the hammer, through the hand slot, and through the bolt slot and they keep running and supposedly don't rust, and they just completely strip/clean them after a season. This is the SASS blackpowder guys.

I take mine fully apart after every range session because I shoot them pretty infrequently and I don't want them sitting full of crud for months. Plus, I found a spent cap inside the guts when I stripped it this time.

Moose milk (ballistol+water) is good stuff for this, and after the water evaporates it leaves the parts with a coating of oil.

But yes, they are time-consuming to clean properly. However it's fairly straightforward to get them apart and back together again. It's kind of part of the ritual.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
That is a nice looking revolver. If I were to get a BP pistol, that would be it.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Love the fireball and smoke!

I have always wanted a .36 caliber BP revolver.

I am discovering they are a lot less common than .44cal BP stuff.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
Very nice. Love the fireball and smoke!

I have always wanted a .36 caliber BP revolver.

I am discovering they are a lot less common than .44cal BP stuff.

they seem to be, but they're out there and go on sale fairly often also. Here's a video of my .36 navy if interested
https://youtu.be/gV8_hZ3SUdA

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
That's your personal indoor range?

If so, I'm velly jelly.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know a source for conical bullets in .36 or .44 cal?

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks!
That was both entertaining and informative.

Good shooting!

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks! Those prices are steep, so I guess it's time to consider casting, again.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Cabela's was running a pretty good sale on the Pietta BP revolvers they carry. Looks like the sale is over, but I was able to pick up a nice steel-frame 1851 Navy in .36 for $199.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
cool! that's a good choice.