SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Update in OP: P365 lubrication, Slide Glide to heavy?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update in OP: P365 lubrication, Slide Glide to heavy? Login/Join 
Picture of barndg00
posted
Bought a P365 recently, already been back to SIG as the front sight was dead (I did not check this in the store), SIG took the slide back, changed the sight and had it back to me in less than a week, no charges, no complaints from me there.

I've never owned a striker fired pistol, so I'm not sure if I should be doing anything different than I normally due for my hammer fired pistols regarding lubrication. Grease the rails and internals on range guns, light grease on rails and oil on internals for carry guns. Anything particularly needed to pay attention to for the P365?

Update:
Took the new P365 out yesterday, I had removed the manufacturing lube (white, TW25B maybe?) and put SlideGlide Standard on the rails, barrel, etc. Admittedly, a bit heavy, as that is how my P226s like it. Shot 150rds of 124gr (load makes 1200fps from a P226) and 50 rounds of Speer 124gr +P Gold dots. No troubles feeding or ejecting, but it did have several (like 20 or more) times where it did not go fully back to battery. Minimal pressure with thumb to back of slide pushed it fully into battery. Otherwise shot great, though I definitely pull the shots down low with the striker. Is the failure to return to battery a result of the lube? Planning to try TW25B, which I have on hand, but don't like how it separates much of the time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: barndg00,

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really grease up my Sigs, especially rail contact points, striker surfaces, etc, and I put a light coat with my fingertip on the barrel. and oil on the recoil spring assembly. I use the Lucas grease and oil, for whatever that's worth.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After you have a few hundred rounds fired you will see the shiny spots that may need a light coat of oil or grease. Just make sure to keep any lube out of the striker channel as that can cause real problems.

Posts: 210 | Registered: February 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just make sure to keep any lube out of the striker channel as that can cause real problems.

This. Also I'd be careful with that Lucas gun lube if you're going to carry in cold temperatures. It's the only lube product I've ever used that I can blame a malfunction on. I lubed my gun with it once then went out and shot in 10 below weather and had all kinds of issues. It thickened up and the slide had too much resistance causing extraction and rtb issues. I couldn't get through two rounds without a malfunction. I cleaned it and re-lubed with thinner stuff and the gun ran fine. I've sworn off the Lucas stuff since that experience.

As to where to lube, I put a dab on the recoil lug, a thin film on the outside of the barrel, and a drop in each of the slide rails. I also make sure the breach face is dry and clear of solvent so that there's no chemicals soaking into the back of you chambered round trying to contaminate the primer.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Also, I have been using Lucas Marine lithium grease on my P226s (which see range/bedside duty only), any issues with that or other recommendations appreciated.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I'm in AZ but use nothing but SLIDE GLIDE Lite in my pistols, summer and winter.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
92fstech, what pistol and how many rounds through it before that day?

I use Lucas and never had issues. Coldest was mid 20s

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
Bought a P365 recently, already been back to SIG as the front sight was dead (I did not check this in the store), SIG took the slide back, changed the sight and had it back to me in less than a week, no charges, no complaints from me there.

I've never owned a striker fired pistol, so I'm not sure if I should be doing anything different than I normally due for my hammer fired pistols regarding lubrication. Grease the rails and internals on range guns, light grease on rails and oil on internals for carry guns. Anything particularly needed to pay attention to for the P365?

Update:
Took the new P365 out yesterday, I had removed the manufacturing lube (white, TW25B maybe?) and put SlideGlide Standard on the rails, barrel, etc. Admittedly, a bit heavy, as that is how my P226s like it. Shot 150rds of 124gr (load makes 1200fps from a P226) and 50 rounds of Speer 124gr +P Gold dots. No troubles feeding or ejecting, but it did have several (like 20 or more) times where it did not go fully back to battery. Minimal pressure with thumb to back of slide pushed it fully into battery. Otherwise shot great, though I definitely pull the shots down low with the striker. Is the failure to return to battery a result of the lube? Planning to try TW25B, which I have on hand, but don't like how it separates much of the time.

To reply to your updated experience, Slide Glide ( Standard ) shouldn't be an issue here.

I've always used the Lite version and never experienced an issue. I have over 1600 rounds through my 365 using Lite.

https://brianenos.com/pages/slide-glide

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like noted above there is a lighter Slide Glide.

Posts: 243 | Location: OH | Registered: January 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
The only issues I have had with failing to extract, failing to go into battery, and failing to feed have been caused by my thumbs rubbing against the slide. Even slight rubbing has caused issues with the slide functioning properly. Others I shoot with have had the same issues. Every one of our problems ceased, as soon as we kept our thumbs clear of the slide.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
FTRTB with the 365 has been a noted issue. Polish the center rib. Heavy mag spring may cause binding on the next round up.

Or

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using slide glide heavy for years with zero issues. But I live in a warm climate. Only lube related issues I've ever had were with Frog Lube. Turns to a sticky paste over time.

Posts: 51 | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Lucas grease has caused me no problems in hot weather and cold.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Well, I cleaned and lubed with TW25B, will take back out next week when I’m off and put some more rounds down range, make sure to keep thumb from riding the slide, and see. Not going to polish the center rib as yet, it feels pretty smooth and I don’t want to do any alterations to this gun yet. Am considering a straight trigger though...

Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Went back to the range yesterday, put 250rds down range, had one FTF (nose of bullet hung on ramp), one episode of the failure to fully return to battery. Much better than previous, but will require further proofing before being allowed into any carry use.
Also, I pull this gun low when shooting, about 8" at 7yds. Don't do it with dry firing, according to my MantisX. Any suggestions to shoot better?

posted Hide Post
I live in Wisconsin, and like slide glide in the summer.
I had slide Glide light, in one of my open guns, and I don't remember what the temperature was, but, I had a single shot. So, when it gets to about this time of year, the Slide Glide comes out, and usually get slathered with Mobile 1

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post