SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pocket Pistol Suggestions
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pocket Pistol Suggestions Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I think it is more about the holster. I carry a Glock 43x, in sweatpants, in a Crossbreed holster with no issues.

Posts: 496 | Registered: December 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by whisky22:
The reason for pocket pistol is due to what I wear when walking the dog, sweatpants or shorts, within a few hundred yards of home.

Not to jump off track here but I often wear a Smartcarry, it works great under sweats or shorts. And it may even work for a gun you already have.
https://www.smartcarry.com/
I've had one for years w/ hundreds of hours of use and while it's getting worn, it still works great w/ my P239 .40 .

If that smartcarry is worn inside your shorts or pants, how do you access the gun ? If my belt is loose enough for me to reach beneath it, my pants are going to be on my hips in no time.

You would think but I've never had a problem w/ belt and pants. W/ shorts and sweats (like the OP mentions), it's even easier. None of the weight of the gun is carried by the shorts or sweatpants so they don't have to be super constricting.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
For a true POCKET CARRY pistol, hard to beat an LCP.
I first had a S&W 642, but sold it after the LCP came out.

Mine has been back for the recall and all that.
Never a failure..
I like it so much I sent the slide and some parts to CCR for their then Ceraplate.
I carry it in a High Noon Pocket Grabber or a custom made OWB holster.
It now wears a Pachmayr Glove.

Carry a spare mag in my offside pocket in a MECO mag holder.

I bought a Kahr CW380 because I like the trigger a little better.
But it has been sitting in the safe since I bought it 3 years ago..
Haven't had time for that 200 rd Kahr breakin Eek

I will say I miss having a j-frame.
I plan to buy an LCR, maybe for Xmas.
Just can't decide which caliber, probably 38sp since I already have it on hand..

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I concur with those advising the Ruger LCP or its inspiration, the KelTec P3AT, I have both. For anyone considering the Ruger LCR in 38 spl, I would advise you shoot one first. I find the recoil to be brutal even with so-called Lo recoil loads. I plan to trade mine on the 327 version, which at least gives you a choice of calibers to pick from. Interestingly, I have no recoil issues with my S&W 442. More times than not, my carry gun is a NAA 5 shot .22 magnum. Yes, I know, some think it's a mouse gun but have you ever been shot with a .22 magnum. It's not a pleasant experience at all.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Ruger LCR. VERY light weight in pocket or holster. I load 2 CCI Shotshells and then 3 158 gr. bullets.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot an gen 1 LCP and hated the trigger pull. Anyone have the LCP custom and LCP 2? How do the triggers compare?

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 373 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if Colt still makes it but I carried the Mustang Pocketlite in my front pocket with a holster.
It's 380 but it was better than nothing. Carried it when it was warmer outside. When it got cold, I went full size.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I pocket carry my G43 daily. Not in sweat pants, but in jeans. I use a Desantis Nemesis.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LCPs can be had for $200 or less:

https://www.sportsmansoutdoors...oducts2.cfm/ID/44732

It looks like a II, Is are even cheaper. I have a I (OK, three of them), slide does not lock back, sights are very simple but will not snag on the draw, it's a great pocket - or deep concealment - gun. It's my minimum carry in my city where "I'll never need a gun."

On the II the slide locks back, I think the sights are improved. Std mag is 6, Ruger makes a 7 rd mag for both (mags are not interchangeable).

My I disappears in a jeans pocket, with SmartCarry I barely know it's there. This model has a slot for a spare mag:

https://www.smartcarry.com/gun-mag-holster

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
For a sweatpants pocket, even the average .380 will feel like you have a brick in there and will drag them down in no time flat.

You need REALLY small and light and my two suggestions would be:

1. Kel-Tec P-32. Around 10 oz fully loaded:

2. NAA Pug: 5 rounds of .22 Magnum in a tiny revolver:

A couple rounds of hot Euro .32 ACP or .22 Mag at a few feet distance is nothing to laugh at.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smart Carry just sent me an email with 30% off for today:

30% off EVERYTHING!(Dec 2 only)
No code necessary!

From now until December 18th our entire line of holsters will be 20% off but as is customary these days we are going to have our biggest discount on Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
That's 11/29 & 12/2/19

Take advantage of this limited time low price to try our new improved waistband for yourself or get a couple as gifts for loved ones. We all feel a little better knowing our family and friends are equipped to protect themselves!

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Shield 9.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:

Pretty much mirrors my pocket carry journey, except I went from a .38 SPL LCR to a .380 ACP LCP-CT.

I really liked the LCR, but it just wasn't all that convenient for pocket carry. Perhaps because I prefer to wear clothes a bit closer-fitting than many here, I often found the LCR either printed too much, was too heavy in the pocket, of simply would not fit in any available pocket. The LCP solved all of that.

The only time I've found even the LCP to be too much has been, as I mentioned earlier, in very light weight or stretchy shorts or athletic pants. Then, like PASig noted: Even that little LCP feels like I'm carrying a brick in my pocket.

This is how it rides in the IWB holster I bought to solve the above problem:

It's very comfortable. I've worn it that way doing yard work in hot weather for hours. Doesn't print appreciably, even in UA tees that aren't particularly blousy.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
PASig sort of stole my thunder. Your original post said "shot 1 handed" a "few hundred yards from home."

Have you considered a derringer? There are quite a variety of them, from .22LR to.45ACP. I don't know much about them, but the Bond Arms Mini Colt 45 gets my first nod. Check out GunBroker's selection.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
More times than not, my carry gun is a NAA 5 shot .22 magnum. Yes, I know, some think it's a mouse gun but have you ever been shot with a .22 magnum. It's not a pleasant experience at all.

My "invisible gun" is a S&W 351c, seven shots of Gold Dot .22 WMR. Light as can be at 11-ish ounces. Just another suggestion.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
May I ask where you bought that holster?

quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Pretty much mirrors my pocket carry journey, except I went from a .38 SPL LCR to a .380 ACP LCP-CT.

I really liked the LCR, but it just wasn't all that convenient for pocket carry. Perhaps because I prefer to wear clothes a bit closer-fitting than many here, I often found the LCR either printed too much, was too heavy in the pocket, of simply would not fit in any available pocket. The LCP solved all of that.

The only time I've found even the LCP to be too much has been, as I mentioned earlier, in very light weight or stretchy shorts or athletic pants. Then, like PASig noted: Even that little LCP feels like I'm carrying a brick in my pocket.

It's very comfortable. I've worn it that way doing yard work in hot weather for hours. Doesn't print appreciably, even in UA tees that aren't particularly blousy.

Posts: 3442 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
For a sweatpants pocket, even the average .380 will feel like you have a brick in there and will drag them down in no time flat.

You need REALLY small and light and my two suggestions would be:

1. Kel-Tec P-32. Around 10 oz fully loaded:

2. NAA Pug: 5 rounds of .22 Magnum in a tiny revolver:

A couple rounds of hot Euro .32 ACP or .22 Mag at a few feet distance is nothing to laugh at.

Based upon the OP wearing sweat pants those are the two I would have mentioned as well.
They are two that I often carry when the need for something really light and small is required.

As far as ammo:
Underwood +P Xtreme Defenders work well in the P-32.
Speer .22 WMR Gold Dot short barrel ammo works well in the Pug.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

May I ask where you bought that holster?

I missed BennerP220's follow-up question, so he emailed me. For the benefit of any others that may be curious, now or in the future, here was my answer to him:
quote:

PJ Holster: PJ Holster

He does really nice work, affordable, and fast turn-around times, too.

He also makes unique holsters made entirely from a single piece of folded Kydex. I'm using one such holster from him for the IWB for my Walther PPS M2. For those holsters he'll optionally stiffen the clip with a bit of glued-on additional Kydex on the inside of the clip. Very light, super comfortable, easy to put on and take off, and very secure.

I went with the UtiliClip on the LCP holster, upon his recommendation, because I carry with that belt-less.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thank you, ensigmatic!

Posts: 3442 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
I carry a Beretta 3032 Tomcat in a sticky holster for walkin' the dog.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post