SIGforum
Pocket Pistol Suggestions

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/4490087364

December 01, 2019, 10:55 AM
whisky22
Pocket Pistol Suggestions
Need a few ideas on a pistol to be used only when walking the dog. It will only be shot 1 handed and I'm open to 25, 32, 380, 9mm. I carry 357 sig so recoil not an issue. The reason for pocket pistol is due to what I wear when walking the dog, sweatpants or shorts, within a few hundred yards of home.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks
December 01, 2019, 11:02 AM
RHINOWSO
LCP or J-frame.

In light Khakis the LCP is nice and flat, but otherwise I have the J-frame in sweats, etc.

If I could only choose one it would be the J-frame; either a 442 or 340.
December 01, 2019, 11:09 AM
inspcalahan
Colt Night Cobra - 6 rounds of whatever .38spl you put in it, double action only, no safety to fidget with coming out of your pocket, a grip big enough to hold on to, front tritium sight in case it's a little dark out, big white outline front sight for daytime use. It's slightly larger than the S&W J Frames (also good choice), but being so, you get an extra round, a grip big enough to actually grab and hold on to, much better sights, yet it's sleek and small enough to slide into most pockets, maybe with part of the grip sticking up/out. It won't drop deep into a pocket and disappear. That size is down in the mouse gun/little caliber category.
December 01, 2019, 11:18 AM
.38supersig
The Sig P238 HD has my vote.

December 01, 2019, 11:24 AM
Jim Watson
I don't know if there is anything you CAN carry in sweat pants for safe and prompt access.

Depending on the style of conventional pants, I have a Keltec .32, a Glock 43, and my first pocket gun, an elderly S&W Bodyguard M38.
December 01, 2019, 11:30 AM
LincolnSixEcho
I just ordered a Smith 340pd so we will see how much I carry it once it get it. Until then I rely on my G42.
December 01, 2019, 11:44 AM
18DAI
I use a modified S&W CS9 for that exact purpose, wearing the same clothes. I use a DeSantis Nemesis holster to carry it IWB between my T shirt and sweatpants.

The mods to the CS9 are replacement of the thick factory Hogue grips with Delrin 3913 cut down grips made by a fellow on the S&W forum named TercGen. I also had Novak night sights installed.

Personally, I prefer 8 rounds of 9mm to 5 or 6 rounds of 38. And the flat, small single stack 9mm is easier to conceal and carry than a revolver, for me. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change
December 01, 2019, 11:47 AM
BBMW
Would a P365 fit the pocket in question? Would it be too heavy?
December 01, 2019, 11:48 AM
Sigmund
Sweatpants or shorts? Ruger LCP & spare mag in www.smartcarry.com

I did not see this on the link, but I got an email saying:

"All of our holsters will be 20% off from Wednesday 11/27 to Wednesday 12/18
NO CODE NECESSARY"

The G-43 and 43X (w/a spare mag) are also comfortable in SmartCarry, but you can use the LCP for pocket carry anywhere. My LCP disappears in a jeans pocket inside a DeSantis Nemesis.
December 01, 2019, 11:57 AM
KMitch200
LCP or LCR are light enough for the job.
Any more weight than those doesn’t work for me.

ETA - fanny pack is always an option. Then it doesn’t matter what gun you use.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.
December 01, 2019, 11:57 AM
GCE61
My favorites depending on the pants style-
Kahr CW380
Kahr CM9
Glock 42
S&W 340PD
December 01, 2019, 11:58 AM
Jimbo54
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
The Sig P238 HD has my vote.

If you want to go this route, step it up a notch and go with a P938. The size difference is negligible and you have a more effective defense caliber. Combined with a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster it will print like a wallet in light weight shorts.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird
December 01, 2019, 12:04 PM
longjohn
I walk every night. Usually go with a Ruger LCRX .38, or if it's summer i shave a couple ounces with an S&W 360PD (13.5 oz. down to 11.5).
If I want semi auto, I go with a G42, the most recent version of which (i have 2 consecutive serial numbered FDE models) is utterly reliable , accurate and easy to shoot. I use no mag extensions or aftermarket gizmos, I just chamber a round and put 6 in the mag. Gives me a couple extra shots over the revolvers.
Usually don't carry anything bigger on my nightly walks but next up if I did would be a G43 or G26. For easy pocket carry though it's one of the 3 above .
December 01, 2019, 12:08 PM
ensigmatic
I'm quite pleased with my little Ruger LCP-CT for pocket carry.

But I've found that in light shorts even that little LCP is too much weight in the pocket. So I bought a thin, lightweight Kydex clip-on IWB holster in which it carries quite nicely with the lightest of shorts and minimal t-shirt.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
December 01, 2019, 12:08 PM
VictimNoMore
I may sound like a broken record sometimes, but for me, the Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum is a great package in terms of size, weight, capacity (6 vs 5 of other LCRs/J-frames), and power/caliber.
10+ rounds of 9mm 147 grain in my P365 is great...but it can get a little heavy when wearing shorts.
December 01, 2019, 12:24 PM
Marcushoss
I have a P290RS 9mm that I take everywhere. The more I shoot it, the more I like it. It is tiny and 9mm.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.
December 01, 2019, 12:34 PM
Delta-3
Take a serious look at the Beretta Tomcat 3032. 7+1 rounds, tip up barrel, DA/SA & you can get some good .32 defensive loads. (Lehigh & Underwood). Carries easily in a sweat pocket or shorts.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.
December 01, 2019, 01:05 PM
whisky22
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-3:
Take a serious look at the Beretta Tomcat 3032. 7+1 rounds, tip up barrel, DA/SA & you can get some good .32 defensive loads. (Lehigh & Underwood). Carries easily in a sweat pocket or shorts.

I have been intrigued by the 3032.

December 01, 2019, 01:07 PM
whisky22
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
I may sound like a broken record sometimes, but for me, the Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum is a great package in terms of size, weight, capacity (6 vs 5 of other LCRs/J-frames), and power/caliber.
10+ rounds of 9mm 147 grain in my P365 is great...but it can get a little heavy when wearing shorts.

327 Federal seems to be a great cartridge from lightweight revolvers. taking another look. I think I want a few more rounds though.

December 01, 2019, 02:01 PM
VictimNoMore
quote:
Originally posted by whisky22:
327 Federal seems to be a great cartridge from lightweight revolvers. taking another look. I think I want a few more rounds though.

Two speed strips in my opposite pocket = 18 rounds on me, to run to the store.