SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Kel-Tec PF-9 slide broken; giving up on this platform
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kel-Tec PF-9 slide broken; giving up on this platform Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
Have had issues since day 1 with this pistol; trigger bar tab broke at round 58 and locked up the slide/trigger solid. Called the factory and they insisted it was a round jammed into the lands, and wouldn't listen to my patient and repeated description of the problem, with the slide locking up after retracting 1/2" and the round rattling around in the chamber. Disassembled the pistol and the broken trigger bar tab fell out.

I replaced the trigger bar and it worked until about round 637 when trigger bar stopped springing back up when pressed downward, causing reset issues. Either wear to the trigger spring groove in the bar or an out of spec grip or both were causing this issue. I ordered another new trigger bar and grip, and replacing these along with replacing the center frame pin with the clipdraw screw (center pin was walking out), appeared to have sorted that issue and it worked until the extractor screw came loose and started causing FTEs around 760 rounds (this is not a big issue and is not a defect). I snugged the extractor screw down and it ran until about 790 rounds, whereupon the slide started staying jammed to the rear after every shot. Slide lock was not engaged... something very wrong. At 793 rounds I called it dead after looking closely at the ejection port and seeing cracking along the front and rear corners. Ammo was all non +P 124 grain ball other than about 14 rounds of non +P WWB 147 JHP.

I will contact Kel-Tec but I'm not paying to ship the pistol back to them. I have no interest in a replacement. If they want to look at the slide I'll send it to them.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Been a long while since I've been over on KTOG, but I seem to recall there being a few cracked PF9 slides.
Maybe they'll replace it. Then you could just sell/trade it off.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Been a long while since I've been over on KTOG, but I seem to recall there being a few cracked PF9 slides.
Maybe they'll replace it. Then you could just sell/trade it off.

Haven't been there in a while myself but I also remember that there a few cracked PF9 slides.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
With how cheap guns are selling for these days there is no reason to buy anything Keltec. You can get quality 9mm pistols for as low as $225 these days after rebates.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the slide on my P11 crack at somewhere over 5K rounds. I contacted KT and they requested the whole upper. I sent it to them A few days later, I received a new slide, bbl., recoil spring(s), and recoil spring guide rod. They installed my old sights onto the new slide. I have a problem bad mouthing KT for the way they treated ME. You have a different situation altogether.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
With how cheap guns are selling for these days there is no reason to buy anything Keltec. You can get quality 9mm pistols for as low as $225 these days after rebates.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
I had the slide on my P11 crack at somewhere over 5K rounds. I contacted KT and they requested the whole upper. I sent it to them A few days later, I received a new slide, bbl., recoil spring(s), and recoil spring guide rod. They installed my old sights onto the new slide. I have a problem bad mouthing KT for the way they treated ME. You have a different situation altogether.
Interesting. If they offer me that swap I guess I'll do it. And I'll probably then never fire the pistol again. LOL

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
KELTEC, nuff said.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one I bought just to carry in my pocket on the rare occasions I am not using a belt holster. I have shot around 50 rounds through it and it has been trouble free. BUT I hate to shoot it. Very uncomfortable, It never sees a fun day at the range.

On the plus side is it is thin,cheap and light weight.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pocket carry a PF9. Accurate, the narrow backstrap hurts after a couple of mags, & the guns outline disappears in a front jeans pocket. I shot 100 rds to test it & then it was good to go. Never did I consider it a more than a 500rd gun.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Roll Eyes

I've owned a P32 for several years now and my Dad has had a P3AT for as long and neither of us have ever had an issue with them.

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
I pocket carry a PF9. Accurate, the narrow backstrap hurts after a couple of mags, & the guns outline disappears in a front jeans pocket. I shot 100 rds to test it & then it was good to go. Never did I consider it a more than a 500rd gun.

Interesting; that's not how I do things but to each his own, I guess. I mean, how does anyone maintain proficiency with a firearm if it's not continually shot and trained with? Any firearm that I'm going to regularly stake my life on better be good enough for the long haul.

I've been told occasional nightmare stories about customers' Kel-Tecs, primarily revolving around their 9mm pistols and the PMR-30 but also breakages with the SUB2000 and RFB, and problems with dealing with their CS in the past. My understanding however is that they've gotten a LOT more proactive and responsive when it comes to QC and customer service, and I'm hearing far less complaining when it comes to their newer product designs and more recent production units.

I've shot the PF9 in the past and while I didn't like it as much as the Taurus 709 and Walther PPS that I was comparing it to at the time (circa 2009ish), it wasn't a horror story as I was led to believe back then. Sorry to hear about the slide problems that the OP reported, but the Kel-Tec CS of today should be able to rectify the problem. At least you'll have a firearm that should be GTG for selling off, if you should go in that direction. As for their abilities to build decent product: I've shot the KSG on a few occasions and found that I do like it a lot. I'm not sure that I actually want one but the several individuals that I know who own the gun have yet to complain to me about them (a couple of those I was the GCN who sold theirs to them). Recently I also had the chance to try the RDB bullpup and found that I liked it far better than I thought I would, when I initially was hesitant in giving it credence for being a worthy 5.56 option. I can admit to being wrong every once and a while.

Slightly off-topic: the main complaint that I have about Kel-Tec is their draconian attitude towards signing up dealers, but that's primarily due to their relative size and ability to pump out enough product to come anywhere close to satisfying demand. Personally I think their designers are rather innovative in how they approach solutions, though occasionally that kind of out-the-box thinking leads to issues regarding reliability and function. However if their current attitude with customer service holds true, at least they'll put in an honest effort in making things right when issues do occur.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:

Interesting; that's not how I do things but to each his own, I guess. I mean, how does anyone maintain proficiency with a firearm if it's not continually shot and trained with? Any firearm that I'm going to regularly stake my life on better be good enough for the long haul.
My thoughts exactly. 500 rounds is barely broken in to me. I was just starting to be able to get reliable hits on the plates when it broke.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Any word from the KT mothership yet? Mostly just curious how it all works out.
I know I had no problems getting small parts (broken slide stop mag catch), for my P11, out to me no questions asked.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Not a peep.

Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
That is too bad. I had a PF-9 and didn't care for it. Awful trigger and uncomfortable grip. Sold it and got a Shield.

I still have a P3AT. It is a used gun I got cheap and I bought to have as a quick in the pocket gun. I have never had an issue with it thankfully.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
I do hope KT service come through for you.

I have had a P40 for a few years, nary a problem.
It's not a range gun.

A PF-9 I owned, had a problem with the extractor. With a new extractor and after I buggered up the franken bolt, I called KT.

I sent that PF-9 to KT. They returned a complete, new slide assembly. Very happy. Since sold it.

PF-9 pictured with snap caps, prior to sale

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
P40 is a bit of a rare-ish bird.
Then there was the really limited production P40 with a 357Sig BBL.

Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
P40 is a bit of a rare-ish bird.
Then there was the really limited production P40 with a 357Sig BBL.

Yes, KT's 357 SIG conversion kit for the P40 was a hidden gem.

Back then, $165 got you a new blued slide, the .357SIG barrel, a steel recoil guide, and a new recoil spring set.

All you really need is the .357SIG barrel. The original P40 slide can be used with the .357SIG barrel.

I read that a change up to a Wolff 21lb recoil spring kit, made the recoil more manageable.

KT dropped the P40 and the 357SIG conversion kit after many returns started to come in, citing problems with the gun. The reality was that limp wristing was the #1 problem. The P40 recoil is ...ummm ... stout; it's a little gun, hang on tight and don't use 180 gr.

But I digress - hopefully the OP hears some good news soon!

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

Roll Eyes

I've owned a P32 for several years now and my Dad has had a P3AT for as long and neither of us have ever had an issue with them.
You don't have to like it, but it's the truth.

How many rounds do you and your Dad have through the pistols? 1K? 5K? Or 500?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post