SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Have you personally witnessed or experienced a pistol “kaboom”?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you personally witnessed or experienced a pistol “kaboom”? Login/Join 
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
A buddy was shooting some crappy gun reloaded 9mm ammo he got at a gun dhow out of his 1990's vintage SIG P226 and a case let loose.

Gun was locked up but he was finally able to get the slide open, frame rails seemed slightly spread apart in front of the mag well.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should be able to pick more than one caliber Smile

I picked 9mm as the two most recent ones I recall were 9mm. I work at a range, so I see more than most.

One guy had a Freedom Ordnance FX-9 blow up on him. I know at least the upper was ruined, not sure about anything else. He sent it back to them and they basically gave him a new one.

Another customer had his just purchased Charter Arms 9mm revolver blow up the first time he shot it. Top strap and part of frame under crane both let go, so whole front end came off. He also got a replacement from manufacturer and promptly sold it off.

Luckily neither party was seriously injured. Both were unmodified guns firing good quality factory ammo.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Six.

Three Glocks and three P320s. Two of the Glocks were 40, and one was a factory fresh Gen5 17. The Gen5 was most certainly faulty ammo.

The three 320s were all 9mm and I’m pretty sure they fired out of battery. Despite the claims that is “in-possible”, I find it curious that SIG fixed a problem that was “in-possible” in the military guns and with the upgrade.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Very first round I fired thru a S&W 357 revolver, was a squib and I had never shot one before. The second round bulged the barrel!!
S&W fixed it for free as it was to be my off duty gun. I was shooting Winchester ammo and I sent the box in with the gun.

No questions asked.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
The first was an M-16A2, working with the Thai Royal Marines. Do not, I say again, DO NOT fire live rounds through the weapon if you have a BFA (blank firing adaptor) on!
Barrel peeled back like in the cartoons.

MAC tested this on camera. Nothing happened.

https://youtu.be/98633BHZUiY

Posts: 7395 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Kahr P40 blew up in my hand after coming back from Kahr. It had been sent in for failure to return to battery, and I believe it fired slightly out of battery. It vented down the mag well and blew out the mag, and the side plate, venting gas, burning powder, and material along my hand and back into my face. I'd have had eye injury, I'm sure, had I not been wearing safety glasses. It was the second magazine through the range, with factory ammunition, after receiving it back from factory repairs.

A S&W shield failed in a similar manner, shortly after receiving the pistol and firing it with factory ammunition.

I also had a shield frame fail, but with no dramatic "kaboom" or notable ammunition failure or other cause; it just split and quit firing. S&W claimed it was ammunition, though it was all factory ammunition with no overpressure signs. When pressed, they said they found no cause for the failure, but that their go-to "cause" when they couldn't find a cause, was to blame ammunition. They refused to honor their warranty.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Six.

Three Glocks and three P320s. Two of the Glocks were 40, and one was a factory fresh Gen5 17. The Gen5 was most certainly faulty ammo.

The three 320s were all 9mm and I’m pretty sure they fired out of battery. Despite the claims that is “in-possible”, I find it curious that SIG fixed a problem that was “in-possible” in the military guns and with the upgrade.

I’ve seen two 320 x5’s fire out of battery in uspsa matches.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
The first was an M-16A2, working with the Thai Royal Marines. Do not, I say again, DO NOT fire live rounds through the weapon if you have a BFA (blank firing adaptor) on!
Barrel peeled back like in the cartoons.

MAC tested this on camera. Nothing happened.

https://youtu.be/98633BHZUiY

The thing about MAC is if we were both standing in the rain, and he told me it was raining, I’d have to look up to make sure.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Yes more then once but not to my self.

Once at a GSSF match. I was a score keeper and watched a guy blow up a Glock 21. The rounds were his reloads. The gun was Inspected after the boom by a Glock armor and was fine. His magazine was toast. It blew out the bottom of the gun in pieces along with all the ammo. The shooter was uninjured

Once during a IDPA classifier. I had just handed the Timer to another safety officer so I could take a break. As I turned around after getting a drink the shooters 1911 went boom. Another blown apart magazine and ammo all over the ground. The rounds were his reloads. The gun also had damage to some of the springs. The shooter was uninjured.

The most dramatic was a person shooting an FN 5.7 pistol. I was working at a gun range at the time.
The customer came out of the range with a squib. It was knocked out of the barrel and there was no damage. He was asked if he was shooting factory loads or reloads. He told us they were reloads. We told him he should stop shooting and check his ammo before shooting it.
He decided so shoot some more. About five minutes latter I had to go into the range to fix a target hanger and noticed the customer standing in one of the shooting bays with something in his hands. When I got closer I saw it was the GRIP ONLY of the FN 5.7 pistol with the magazine still in it sticking out of the top of what was left of the gun grip.
The gun had blown apart. It was in little pieces.
He was okay.
My guess it was an overcharged round that had blown up.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Back when I was 18, was out shooting with a friend. We were shooting a bunch of his reloads.
The pistol was a beautiful Colt 1911, with some amazing engraving. Everything was so beautiful on this pistol.
Had a squib, and the next round wasn’t. I was too new and stupid to realize what had happened until it was too late. Made a big boom, barrel was swollen enough that the slide wouldn’t rack.
That beautiful handgun was ruined.
God willing, nothing like that will ever happen again.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I've had several OOB's with 22lr rifles and pistols. I once launched the extractor of my IZH-35M some where into the future, but that was back when you could still get parts. I replaced the parts and the gun ran fine.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Factory JHP ammo in a G27.

Was shooting up at Cockatoo Ranch with Marzy, the Monkey and some guys.

Stung my hand pretty good. Blew the Extractor into orbit, headstamp of the case went with it. Pressure formed the brass and stuck it in the chamber. Glock tech had to tear it out with a pair of pliers.

Took it over to glock. They looked it over. Said it was structurally fine. Replaced the extractor and all the springs. Replaced my x2 magazines that I had in the case. A+ Service from them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: myrottiety,

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
My buddy brought a brand new Taurus Raging Bull .44 Magnum. He fired 12 rounds, handed it to me and I fired 6. I handed it back to him and on the 2nd round he fired, I watched his barrel fly off the gun and skip downrange. His face was cut up from the shaved lead.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I was a a range the day a member's S&W Model 29 decided to end its days.

Shooting factory ammo, the barrel assembly cracked the frame.

It wasn't spectacular when it happened, as in blown off figures or barrel flying down range.

The clue was the misalignment of the barrel and frame. If there'd been one more shot, however....

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I was RSO for our range at a head to head steel plate match. Shoother to my left had a KaBoom with a Glock shooting reloaded 40s&w. Blew the magazine out and rounds went everywhere.
Upon calling the cease-fire, we noticed the tell tale bulge in some of his reloads that we were picking up. Ever since then, if I notice someone shooting reloads in a glock while I'm RSO, I'll ask to inspect their rounds. Caught a few and showed the shooters, who then switched to factory ammo for the event.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Mine was minor. I was shooting a P320C when the case blew out the bottom, shooting the extractor out, but no permanent damage. The case had the bottom blown out at near the base. Fortunately, the FCM is all metal, and provided some protection for my hand.

I popped the extractor back in and that P320C is still going to this day.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I observed a friend KB his Glock 22 using Wolf 40 S&W ammunition. Bent the top of the barrel upward into an L shape.

Posts: 255 | Location: Oregon | Registered: April 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post