SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Have you personally witnessed or experienced a pistol “kaboom”?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you personally witnessed or experienced a pistol “kaboom”? Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
Have you personally witnessed or experienced a “kaboom” with a handgun or revolver?

Question:
Have you witnessed or experienced a “kaboom” with a handgun/revolver?

Choices:
Yes
No

Question:
What caliber?

Choices:
.38 Special
9mm
.40S&W
.45ACP
10mm
.357SIG
.357 Magnum
.44 Special/Magnum
Not applicable

Question:
What was the final determination as to the cause?

Choices:
Faulty factory ammo
Faulty remanufactured ammo
Squib or obstruction
Defective firearm, factory unmodified
Defective aftermarket part(s) in firearm
Other
Not applicable

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
I had a squib load on my re-loads on a S&W M&P 9mm. It did not KABOOM, just didn't allow the next round to chamber, thereby not allowing the slide to go into battery.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I witnessed an AR-15 Kaboom at a range about 20 years ago. (rifle, not pistol, sorry)

The guy was a newbie reloader and screwed up. I felt sorry for him, Although he was not injured.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10901 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Not a pistol but a friends rem 742 I was zeroing.
Still have the scars on my right arm.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Was at the range shooting my wife’s Taurus 605. First shot was fine then after the second shot I noticed something on the barrel. The barrel had split open and the frame was bent. Looked like the gun had exploded in front of the cylinder. Thankfully I was not injured. At first I thought it was a squib but I saw where my first shot had hit the target. Sent it to Taurus and they replaced it but my wife refused to shoot Taurus after that. I traded it for a GP100 for her.
I accidentally hit No on the first question in the poll.

Posts: 5693 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
No, I did not, but one of my best friends telling my wife the stories of Glock G22 kabooms is part of the reason, perhaps a good part of it, my wife gave me a Sig P239 SAS for Christmas, years ago Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Ahh, nuts. Somehow I deleted the choice for "Other" in the caliber question.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched two P226 E2's in .357 Sig go down simultaneously with .357 Sig S&B ball ammo. Chambers were locked up so tight we couldn't hammer them open. Pistols were brand new.

I believe it was one of two things:
1)crap ammo
2)crap cut chambers.

I lean toward the ammo because we purchased several other pistols in the same serial range (within single digits on serial numbers) and they ran fine.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Had an early M-60 2" snub go kaboom with some newly issued Federal, 125 gr +P ammo. I must have been THE unluckiest bastard alive , as I never heard of any issues with the ammo from anyone else. We had M-28's then which are far stronger than a J frame snub but still, no reports of hard ejection, flat primers, etc.

I had come home from afternoon shift in the Winter and there was a huge porcupine trundling up the hill by our drive. Got out, grabbed the M-60 out of my jacket pocket and held my flashlight to illuminate sights and the porcupine. Fired one round and it didn't seem to have any effect. Went to cock it back and found out I was missing a few pieces of the gun. I was uninjured and upon the shot, nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Found the topstrap 20 years later ,approximately 90 yds away ,up on some rocks in our back yard.

Only photo I have, not very good....Sorry.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig mosquito, sig replaced it all for me.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a buddy shoot someone else's bad reload out of an HK USP 45. Blew the left grip out. He was fortunately uninjured but his gun was of course wrecked. Hk replaced it for him though I don't know the details.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post

HK Tactical that really stung my hand.

Was shooting 230 gr Federal HP's. Doing quick double taps.

Felt a big sting, mag blew out and hit my foot. Other than that no injury.

The case blew out at the web, sending hat gasses down through the mag and out the side of the grips.

HK repaired it, yet stated that it could NOT have fired out of battery. Yet it sure appeared to have done so.

Sent the gun in with the damaged mag. Got the gun back with a new frame, all springs replaced and FOUR new hi caps!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several. Taurus M85 non +P rated snub blew up after a steady diet of +P. Taurus replaced the gun, no questions asked.
Most memorable: Overcharged cartridge in Ruger Mini 14. Most of the gas went out through the magazine and a metal fragment lodged in the shooters arm, causing a serious bleed and a trip to the ER. After an extractor replacement, the gun worked fine.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first was an M-16A2, working with the Thai Royal Marines. Do not, I say again, DO NOT fire live rounds through the weapon if you have a BFA (blank firing adaptor) on!
Barrel peeled back like in the cartoons.

Beretta M-9 went kaput on the range in Quantico. I can't remember exactly what happened, but there was a loud "WTF!" From one of the Marines, and the gun was in pieces...

Revolver on the range here on Chgo Police. Shooting shitty rounds, one must have been a squib, the next one wasn't.

Guy shooting a .454 Cassull. Hand loads, and you could just tell that this guy needed to be tougher than everyone else. It wasn't as big as a "KA-BLAM" as I would have expected, but big enough to mess that nice gun up forever.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8335 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
Was at the range shooting my wife’s Taurus 605. First shot was fine then after the second shot I noticed something on the barrel. The barrel had split open and the frame was bent. Looked like the gun had exploded in front of the cylinder. Thankfully I was not injured. At first I thought it was a squib but I saw where my first shot had hit the target. Sent it to Taurus and they replaced it but my wife refused to shoot Taurus after that. I traded it for a GP100 for her.
I accidentally hit No on the first question in the poll.

I think that model must have a cylinder carry-up problem. I know, as mine had it and had to be sent back. I only got a few shavings before I realized that the chamber was not aligning with the barrel. It's been perfect since being serviced.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of manac
posted Hide Post
One of the good times I was in tune with my gun.
Plinking with a Walther PPK Remington ammo had a squib. Didn’t hit the target cleared it and field strip it. Found the bullet in the Barrel.
Well over 100K rounds later haven’t happened again.

Posts: 18 | Location: NH | Registered: November 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I was at the range. The guy next to me's Smith Model 29 blew up. Split the cylinder and blew the top strap into the ceiling. It looked just like FN's Model 60 snub photo above. I believe he was using handloads, but since he was a stranger next to me, I don't know the exact cause.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
had a squib in a 686, ammo was from an estate, and
was from a company called BER in NY,

3 rounds went bang, last one went pfft, and the rest went to a baggy to get pulled and reloaded,

did have a friend and hi power comp mentor that blew up a Smith 29,
chunk out of the cylinder, strap bent up,

then, he blew up an AR, got it fixed, his son was shooting it in a match, and blew it up,

found out he had mixed some pistol powder/rifle powder in his measure, so his AR loads were part 748, part pistol powder,

he had to send some loaded rounds off the Winchester to test, since he contacted them saying the lot of 748 he purchased was bad,

have no idea if he did the same with the 44 ammo,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had two. I blew a P38 up with WWI surplus 9mm sub gun ammo, and a 1911 had a case "blowout", sending gas and metal down the mag well and out thru the grips. Part of the P38 rear sight assembly had to be removed from my forehead, and bits of walnut from my right hand. The 9mm was destroyed, the 1911 was not.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Yup. Years ago, my brand new Sig P226. First mag through and about the 4th round...bam!! Sent it into Sig and they took care of it and fixed everything. They said it was a bad Ammo issue.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post