SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    2019- My new production P320 at 800 rounds
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2019- My new production P320 at 800 rounds Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
Each year I have spotlighted a pistol and kept up with the round count, reported issues, etc. I have decided that this year it will be a P320. My project last year was cut shot due to injury. I've only really started back into shooting in the last few weeks. Before that, it was the M&P.

I spent three years shooting the P320 as a member of Team SIG, before the team was disbanded. I thought that it would be sorta cool to go back to those days with a new manufacture gun. Last Friday I purchased a new P320c. Since that time, I have fired 800 rounds through it. About half those rounds were fired from the 25 and 15 yard lines in strings of 10. The rest were fired at closer distances.

As of right now, the gun is configured as a standard P320 Compact. I added X-Ray sights to it, and it is properly zero'd at 25 yards. Through this year I won't necessarily report changes in the grip modules as I like to switch back and forth between the standard compact, and the X-grip. I have several extra slides, conversation kits, and will note if I change the configuration.

I am excited about this year. It's like old home week....

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm rather surprised how much I like the P320, considering how little I thought of the P250.

Definitely interested in hearing about your experiences, as I don't have the opportunity to shoot anywhere near the number of rounds you do. Because of your reviews of the M&P 2.0, every time I'm at the rental counter, I ask if they have one for rent...no luck yet.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I've replaced all my Glocks with P320 variants. I just shoot them better. Here's my family of P320's with my pair of P365's joining them.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Very intriguing. I started down the road to replace the Glocks with the 320 but originally the availability and cost of mags, followed by the recall turned me off. I still have one of two 320F 9mm that I bought and has been through the recall. I still like to shoot it and now the mags aren’t as much of an issue.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very anxious to follow your updates on this as it develops. The modularity of the P320 platform provides a lot of options for tweaks and changes to personalize the pistol and see what works best for the user's intended usage. I'm sure you'll run it thru its paces. Any plans to add an RX/Romeo 1 slide at some point?

Would also be interested whether different bullet weights impact your results when running the P320 C at speed.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
cost of mags

I've had good luck buying used ones or new ones for around $24 each. Places like LA Police Gear sell them new for $32 each, right now they have 25% off everything till the new year which brings the price to $24 each. They usually run free shipping on orders over $125.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Very intriguing. I started down the road to replace the Glocks with the 320 but originally the availability and cost of mags, followed by the recall turned me off. I still have one of two 320F 9mm that I bought and has been through the recall. I still like to shoot it and now the mags aren’t as much of an issue.

I purchased several extra 17 rd mags for my earlier P320F 9mm a few years ago. Earlier this year I purchased a P320 X5 and it came with the usual four 21 rd mags. I then purchased four more of them. I now typically use the 21 rd mags in the older P320 for casual range work and find that I prefer them to the 17 rd.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I'm with the fellas on this. I never pay retail for magazines. I catch them on sale, and stock up. But, I buy mags EVERY time they are on sale, even if it is just two or three.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merc50:
Very anxious to follow your updates on this as it develops. The modularity of the P320 platform provides a lot of options for tweaks and changes to personalize the pistol and see what works best for the user's intended usage. I'm sure you'll run it thru its paces. Any plans to add an RX/Romeo 1 slide at some point?

Would also be interested whether different bullet weights impact your results when running the P320 C at speed.

I plan on picking up an RX conversion later in the week. I also plan on picking up either an X5 or a RX sometime soon. My focus is going to be training in '19. I'm planning on forcing the time to take a couple of classes this year.

I've got a couple of compact slides laying around and may put a set of Proctor Y notch on one of them.

I ordered four holsters today. Two from Comptac, and two from ANR. Next sale that Holsterops runs, I'll order two 7TS holsters, one with a light and one without. I should be all set holster wise after that.

The full disclosure on this is that I've had four P320c's in the past. None of them have survived because of malfunctions, and damage. I've almost got more trouble free rounds through this gun than I did through the four combined. I've also had zero issues out of my X Carry if you want to count that as a compact.

www.opspectraining.com

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I was issued a new P320 carry a couple of months ago to replace my old one that didn't have the trigger upgrade. At first I wasn't really keen on the new gun, as the action felt grittier and the reset was clunkier than my old one. I have about 2000 rounds through it now and it has smoothed out considerably. I'm now considering sending in the old one (which I purchased) in for the upgrade.

Both guns have been incredibly reliable. The only issue I ever had was due to some nasty lead reloads gumming up the striker channel and causing light strikes during one range session. This was easily resolved by cleaning.

I've developed something of a love affair for the 320 platform. It points naturally for me, the trigger is excellent for a striker gun, the versatility of the design is incredible, and I like the mag compatibility across the platform. I'm honestly beginning to think that all my semi-auto handgun needs could be satisfied by P320s for carry/duty and 1911s for range fun. I ordered a subcompact grip module yesterday...if I end up liking it a 320 SC may end up replacing the 365 on my ankle as I've never really warmed up to that one.

I'm interested to follow your range reports with this gun...I'm sure you're going to be able to push it harder in one year than I could likely do mine in 10. I know you've had issues with them in the past...so if anybody can break it, you can Big Grin. I'm rooting for the gun, though...I hope this one meets or even exceeds your expectations!

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
... I also plan on picking up either an X5 or a RX sometime soon...

Time is now for an X5 - Midwest selling at $679

https://www.gunsmidwest.com/si...0-9m-5in-fo-blk.html

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
So does anyone know if SIG is making (or is planning on making) the X-grip module for compact (15rd) magazines? The last pricing guide I got from my SIG rep only showed X-grip modules for full size mags. Then again it also didn't include pricing on the Tread or the latest MPX configurations (I had to go to our rep for those).

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
So does anyone know if SIG is making (or is planning on making) the X-grip module for compact (15rd) magazines? The last pricing guide I got from my SIG rep only showed X-grip modules for full size mags. Then again it also didn't include pricing on the Tread or the latest MPX configurations (I had to go to our rep for those).

I know that there are prototypes attached to one of the DHS pistol trials. It is actually done right, compared to most of the modules cut down in the aftermarket. The prototype is a full grip cut as to where most of the aftermarket modules have no "hump" on the back of the module. I don't know if removing of the back "hump" is part of the cut down process, or if this is what the aftermarket thinks that people want. I can tell you I don't want it, because it removes leverage from the module to shoot the gun fast.

This is the one I have been messing with, and I'm not a fan. A factory offering with "all the right curves" would be ideal, I think. This grip in a large from the factory would be the bomb from a speed shooting standpoint.

www.opspectraining.com

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:

Thanks bossman!

www.opspectraining.com

Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
I noticed in the picture above that you have both a regular grip and an x-frame grip.
I am planning to get an X-Carry grip for my full size P320. I have 3 of the standard 17 rnd magazines with the round center baseplates. Will these fit the X-carry grip or will I need the newer square-hole baseplates?

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Vicious:
I noticed in the picture above that you have both a regular grip and an x-frame grip.
I am planning to get an X-Carry grip for my full size P320. I have 3 of the standard 17 rnd magazines with the round center baseplates. Will these fit the X-carry grip or will I need the newer square-hole baseplates?

All you need to do if the magazines are older is trim the tabs with an Exacto knife. Easy fix. The newer tab mags will fit.

www.opspectraining.com

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Good to know on the magazines.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My next P320 will be a manual safety 9mm compact. I will be watching this thread.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:

Thanks for the link, I just pick up a 320 X5 and was thinking about a back up so this was the perfect opportunity and it's a killer price. I don't know of any other deals out there that can touch this.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: venenoindy,

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

As I type this, this thread and your M&P 2.0 thread (which has developed legs) are sitting next to each other in the forum list. So this begs the question...

How do you compare the two, and which do you prefer, and for what use (carry/SD, gaming, etc.)?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post