SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    2019- My new production P320 at 800 rounds
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2019- My new production P320 at 800 rounds Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Vicious:
I noticed in the picture above that you have both a regular grip and an x-frame grip.
I am planning to get an X-Carry grip for my full size P320. I have 3 of the standard 17 rnd magazines with the round center baseplates. Will these fit the X-carry grip or will I need the newer square-hole baseplates?

Have you seen a difference in accuracy or recoil with the X-Carry grip?

All you need to do if the magazines are older is trim the tabs with an Exacto knife. Easy fix. The newer tab mags will fit.

Posts: 467 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Jerry,

As I type this, this thread and your M&P 2.0 thread (which has developed legs) are sitting next to each other in the forum list. So this begs the question...

How do you compare the two, and which do you prefer, and for what use (carry/SD, gaming, etc.)?

That's a tough one. I like them both. Right now, I am carrying a P320c. I will probably game with a P320 this year as well.

But, everyone knows that I like the M&P. And now that I have had some time on the 3.6, if I am going to carry or teach with the M&P, it will be hands down the 3.6. After the 3.6 was released, everyone asked "why". It's only a little shorter than the 4.0. After putting rounds down range, the 3.6 handles better on splits and transitions.

I shot a 4.25 last year in games. I shot what is a record (for me) 5x5 qualifier with a raw time of 13.6 seconds. Adjusted time was 15.1. Master level is less than 22 seconds. I'm interested to see what this year holds.

Here's a 20.3 Consistency target run with the 3.6.

Sorry, I know that is likely not a good answer for you. I don't know that there is a clean winner for me. I like them both. The 3.6 is a fraction thinner, and a fraction shorter in the grip.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toto:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Vicious:
I noticed in the picture above that you have both a regular grip and an x-frame grip.
I am planning to get an X-Carry grip for my full size P320. I have 3 of the standard 17 rnd magazines with the round center baseplates. Will these fit the X-carry grip or will I need the newer square-hole baseplates?

Have you seen a difference in accuracy or recoil with the X-Carry grip?

All you need to do if the magazines are older is trim the tabs with an Exacto knife. Easy fix. The newer tab mags will fit.

It is subjective. I have been on this "Police L" course kick here of late. The course of fire is shot into a bullseye target from 25 and 15. I swapped back and forth between the standard compact grip and the X grip, and feel like I had better control with the X Grip watching how the sights leave the target.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answer. It sounds pretty much like a toss up.

quote:
quote:
Jerry,

As I type this, this thread and your M&P 2.0 thread (which has developed legs) are sitting next to each other in the forum list. So this begs the question...

How do you compare the two, and which do you prefer, and for what use (carry/SD, gaming, etc.)?

That's a tough one. I like them both. Right now, I am carrying a P320c. I will probably game with a P320 this year as well.

But, everyone knows that I like the M&P. And now that I have had some time on the 3.6, if I am going to carry or teach with the M&P, it will be hands down the 3.6. After the 3.6 was released, everyone asked "why". It's only a little shorter than the 4.0. After putting rounds down range, the 3.6 handles better on splits and transitions.

I shot a 4.25 last year in games. I shot what is a record (for me) 5x5 qualifier with a raw time of 13.6 seconds. Adjusted time was 15.1. Master level is less than 22 seconds. I'm interested to see what this year holds.

Here's a 20.3 Consistency target run with the 3.6.

Sorry, I know that is likely not a good answer for you. I don't know that there is a clean winner for me. I like them both. The 3.6 is a fraction thinner, and a fraction shorter in the grip.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Got a couple mags through the P320F today, first rounds since the upgrade. I’ve been spoiled by the CZ’s SAO trigger but the P320 is quite good. It’s better than before the upgrade and better than my Glock 17 Gen4 with the minus connector.

The factory night sights are decent, but a tight sight picture so slower on 1” dots than the CZ but did not overly obscure the dots at 4yrds.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Round count as of today is 1100 rounds. My 15 year old son wanted to do some 25 yard stuff with his Glock, so I jumped in with him. Five rounds at a time from the holster. Interesting foot note- The X Carry grip gives me the best control, followed by the standard compact grip, and lastly the borrowed cut down X carry grip I have.

I finished the very nice, unseasonably warm day out with some Bill Drills with an average of 2.10 clean.

www.opspectraining.com

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Jerry,

{SNIP}

This year it's the 320 for Jones, last year it was the M&P 2.0. But IIRC, there were others in earlier years too. Memory is fading, but perhaps a Glock 17, maybe the 2022, and some others.

How do you rank in order of your favorites all of them that you've shot extensively (and what models were they again)??? Where do you rank the glock and the others against the now tied 320 and M&P 2.0????? Which ones are being retired now that there are newer shiny guns out there?

FWIW, I'm happy with my M&P 1.0 as my go-to plinking and SD gun, but then again, I've never shot the M&P 2.0 or the 320, so I don't know what I might be missing.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

This year it's the 320 for Jones, last year it was the M&P 2.0. But IIRC, there were others in earlier years too. Memory is fading, but perhaps a Glock 17, maybe the 2022, and some others.

How do you rank in order of your favorites all of them that you've shot extensively (and what models were they again)??? Where do you rank the glock and the others against the now tied 320 and M&P 2.0????? Which ones are being retired now that there are newer shiny guns out there?

FWIW, I'm happy with my M&P 1.0 as my go-to plinking and SD gun, but then again, I've never shot the M&P 2.0 or the 320, so I don't know what I might be missing.

Tough, tough question. Each have their charms. From a standpoint of "what you see is what you get", the 2.0 is the bomb. It needs nothing really. Can you spice it up? Yeah, you could. Apex really hits it nice. The barrel is pretty good on the factory gun, but you add in a duty carry kit, and a gunsmith fit Apex barrel, and you now have a match grade combat pistol

Where the P320 shines is the adaptability. I am really digging being able to go from grip module to grip module, and I have a RX slide that should be here tomorrow. If I don't like the RX slide? A few minutes later, it is back to a compact slide with the X-Rays. As I have said, I have been shooting a lot of 25 yard stuff with the compact, and with the goal of shooting a perfect 300 on the Police L course. Right now, the best I get is 290-292. The gun is stock box and I've been shooting some cheap ammo that a friend gave me. Better ammo may help a bit, but mainly it is on me. I'm in hopes that what I heard out of the factory is true on grip modules. Supposedly, the large and small X grips are supposed to drop at SHOT, with shipping to distributors to follow. I've shot both of the prototypes and they are awesome. Real big fan of the large X grip. Supposedly, they are also going to drop a 15 round X grip similar to what you are seeing in the aftermarket. I've not seen it, but I'm told that the rear hump is in the right place, to where it is removed in the aftermarket during stippling.

So, that's my answer. You can't go wrong with either/both. A few people need to get a grip on the fact that parts and accessories are scarce. Each time new stuff comes out and becomes popular, this happens. I can remember after the M&P came out, I broke a striker. I had a hook at S&W and called to beg him to send me a new one after customer service told me I'd have to send the pistol in. He told me that parts were tightly controlled, and he couldn't get his hands on any. I also hit him up to sell some magazines to me, and best I remember, I placed my order for an "in stock item" of 10 mags, and I got them in six months later. And they were .40 and not the 9mm I ordered. It is the cycle of life in the firearms world.

www.opspectraining.com

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Picked up a second 320, looks like I’ll be shooting a 320 for Practical Fundamentals in Mesa.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post

Well, some new additions. I picked up an RX conversion kit for my compact. Aaannndddd, I picked up a full sized RX.

Both guns zero'd in six rounds. The full size shot about an inch and half three shot group for the first three rounds down the tube. It was a cold, rainy winter day today so I didn't get much done. I shot 75 rounds out of the compact and 125 rounds through the full size.

One of the most interesting thing that I found was the glass filling up with rain water while in the holster. When I would draw and break a shot, the water slung itself off of the glass as the slide would cycle.

More to come.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
I picked up a new Sig X Carry size grip module this week at a master dealer . They were hanging on the rack with other grips , Black Med size Carry X grip .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Round count as of today is 1556. I shot 381 rounds in demo's and messing around at the Practical Fundamentals in Florida over the weekend. The gun performed just as I expected with no issues, and I had a really good weekend as my demo's were extremely clean and smooth.

A few pictures of the gun prior to a good wipe down and lube.

Man, nothing exciting. Except the fact that this is the first P320 Compact I've owned that has made it this far without something wrong. Smile

www.opspectraining.com

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
A couple of new holsters that came in while I was gone. They are from ANR Designs. Currently, one of the holster makers that is offered by the SIG Sauer Academy. Very good fit and finish.

www.opspectraining.com

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
This week was a long week at work, so I got zero training in until today. It was cold in the 20s, and I only got 150 rounds in. I saw a little "standard/drill" on the internet yesterday that was two targets, two rounds each from the holster in 2 seconds. My cold attempt was a 1.92 from an uncovered appendix holster. I then worked on technical marksmanship stuff and called it a day.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt...b_button_share_sheet

Round count is 1706 currently.

www.opspectraining.com

Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Put on an apex trigger on an upgraded P320C I bought used. (less than 400 rounds through it). I'm waiting for the X-Compact grip frame to come out, and then I'll grab some night sights. After all that I'll get it on my off-duty carry rotation. I've been a Glock guy for 27+ years but I do like my P320C

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
A couple of new holsters that came in while I was gone. They are from ANR Designs. Currently, one of the holster makers that is offered by the SIG Sauer Academy. Very good fit and finish.

I have standardized my holsters on the model of the one on the right - vertical carry in the "appendix" position, high ride, clip retention and stabilizing claw attachment.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Well, 100 rounds through the P320c and 100 through the P320 full sized RX today. I shot some standardized stuff, and I can tell you that it looks like shooting carry optics is going to be a lot of fun.

Round count is 1806 on the compact.

Round count is 225 on the Full size RX.

The problem I am currently faced with is picking one to spend most of my time on.....

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
The full disclosure on this is that I've had four P320c's in the past. None of them have survived because of malfunctions, and damage. I've almost got more trouble free rounds through this gun than I did through the four combined. I've also had zero issues out of my X Carry if you want to count that as a compact.

My 320C started having failure to extract after several hundred trouble free rounds. Sig replaced the extractor and it's been fine ever since. I've heard the extractor and assemble were redesigned.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
So, back to the 320 magazine bases and switching frames.
I have 3 mags for the 320F and have trimmed only 1, so far, to fit my new 'carry' X-grip so that I can shoot it (when I finally get time). Although the trimmed mag functions as far as inserting and ejecting, even releasing the slide on insertion, I haven't had a chance to 'smoke-test' it yet.
Although the mag bases can be trimmed, buffed, and made presentable, it just seems like it would be easier to swap the bases from one style to another.
Is there a part number or other designation for bases that fit the X style frames?
Are these bases a 'drop in' fit for the older mags or is there another modification to make them function correctly?

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Total Round Count- 2206.

Today we ran 400 rounds through it. My end of it was some prep stuff for my class next weekend, but the lion's share of the rounds went down range at the hands of my 15 year old. I introduced him to the Consistency Target from Guerrilla Approach and here is his third run.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt...b_button_share_sheet

The thing about it to me is the fact that mid way through he shifted his grip for some reason. And he went to shit at that point, with his mojo going out the window. Annnndddd he didn't quit. He powered through it. That is a point that I try to really hammer home to shooters in classes. If something doesn't go your way, fix it, and keep running.

Very proud dad, and a beautiful 66 degree day in February to boot.

www.opspectraining.com