SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    When the worst gun in your collection becomes your most treasured
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When the worst gun in your collection becomes your most treasured Login/Join 
posted
Most of you guys know I like quality firearms and post many pictures of my firearms acquisitions here on the forum. The pictures posted today is not of a quality firearm and is the true definition of a “Saturday Night Special” or “Throw Down Gun”. This one however has great meaning to me. I lost my father two weeks ago today. He was a Sailor who served aboard the USS Saratoga during the Vietnam War as a Signalman. He told me of being so skinny that the Chief was afraid he was going to be blown over the side by the backblast of the jets.....lol. After doing 4 years of Air Force JROTC, the AF thought they had me, but my brother and I both followed dad and joined the Navy. Although he did not retire from the military, both of his boys did. He was a Sailor through and through. All he wanted was to be buried in his dress blues and my brothers and I made that happen.

Dad was not a gun guy. He gave me this gun several years ago with a 50rd box of ammo. The manual said and I quote, DO NOT SHOOT 38+P. Guess what the 50rd box of ammo was. Thank god it still had the same 50rdsBig Grin. The gun is actually a pretty good shooter for what it is. It is very slow to reload, but shoots to point of aim at 7-10yds.

I’ll miss my dad and while this gun is of low quality, it is priceless to me as it was owned by a great man, great American and Veteran who served this country with pride.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. I lost my dad 5 years ago and it sucks.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your dad, that is a nice memory piece, looks pretty good condition, and with it, you'll remember him when every you hit the range...

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your new treasure, and from experience, keep talking to him, often.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss.... Keep it forever it will always have more sentimental value then dollar value.
Just thought of this when the pandemic started I brought my dad my HK USP .45 he hasn’t touched a gun since Vietnam and his first words were you bring me extra mags??? Guns worthless without extra mags!! Yes dad 10 extra mags and 500 rounds you load them no dad you gotta do some work now!

Posts: 119 | Location: Locust Grove, Virginia | Registered: November 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
As you so well illustrate here, sometimes quality isn't in the piece but rather in what it conveys. Glad you have this heirloom to enjoy "Doc"!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I am so very sorry for your loss.

I totally understand your point on the pistol you received though... My paternal grandfather had a HMI Stealth C1000 9mm pistol that he gifted to me and told me a story about.
The gun itself is a nightmare of a pistol in reality, but the story that connects the gun from him, to my father, and now to me is one that I'll cherish as a bit of an "inside joke" for us.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My worst gun is a H&R Top break .38 S&W cal . revolver . My Dad wasn't a gun guy either but this is what he owned for protection .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for your loss. My Dad isn't a gun person either. He is a retired LEO and he acquired quite a few "retired" revolvers through the department. He passed them along to me some ten or more years ago. I have two older sisters that I've given one pistol each. The remaining pistols will never leave my possession and I expect them to remain in the family once I pass.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1905 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's one fine looking revolver!
Sorry for how you come to own it. Your father must have been a great and proud man to have had two sons retire from the navy.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have, and have hunted with, my dad's revolver. Old model Ruger Blackhawk. I treasure it.

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story and memories of him.

Posts: 347 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss Ken.

DB

Posts: 458 | Location: Ocala, FL 34478 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
That’s a prized possession for sure.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys for all the kind words. They are much appreciated.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to add my condolences as well. My dad passed about 2 1/2 years ago and while it had been expected, that didn't make it any easier or less painful. I still think about him often.

I have a kind of similar firearm story to yours; Dad had bought his Beretta M1934 back when he was stationed in West Germany in the late 1950s. It was his primary handgun throughout the rest of his life and he dearly loved that gun. A fair number of years ago, as Dad was really starting to realize and feel his age, he passed that Beretta along to me.

At the time I really didn't think much about the gun, as his gesture was admittedly something of a make-up for him selling a number of my guns that I had left with him after I had moved out on my own. He had felt rather guilty over that, and the Beretta was something of a peace offering. Frankly I didn't really want his .380 but after a bit of cajoling by him and Mom (double-teaming always had its effect), I acquiesced and took the M1934. But a couple of years had subsequently passed and I found that I didn't care much for shooting a single action pistol, particularly one chambered in "wimpy" .380, so being the rather unconcerned, short-sighted clod that I was I wound up selling it off to a good friend of mine and really didn't think any more of it. Typical, as my wife would say.

More years passed and Dad's health was definitely in decline. My friend who I sold the Beretta to saw what was happening with Dad and starting dropping hints that the gun probably needs to find a another home (meaning mine). As I finally got those hints--the slow learner I sometimes can be--it finally hit me that my buddy was absolutely right. That was Dad's prized pistol and I definitely NEEDED it back. My buddy had actually offered to GIVE me the gun back to me, but him being the great and insightful friend that he is, I bought back the now purple-tone Beretta with interest. Now it resides in the safe that holds most of my most cherished pistols.

I don't know if I'll ever call that M1934 my most 'loved' handgun; it's STILL a .380, after all. But at the same time it's not the worst gun I've owned or still own. Yet in the end it'll always be the one I have the greatest emotional bonding with. Miss ya Dad.

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry for your loss. I lost my dad over 30 years ago now when I was 19. He gave me the love for guns that I have and that I am passing to my kids. I see that you are doing the same thing too.

Prayers to you and your family, and I think its a pretty cool thing.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
My father is gone also, kindest gentlest man I've known... I have the revolver he carried with him all the years I knew him. It is worn out and not worth much but priceless in someways.... I still hope to donate it to the Marine Museum one day:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm Angler
posted Hide Post
This is a moving topic and thread. Condolences to all for their losses, and I can completely relate.

I lost my Dad in September, 367 days after my Mom. Dad was not a gun guy, but was in the Army Reserves for much of his life.

As much as I wish it were, his Star Model S is not reliable. It is absolutely going to be with me for the rest of my life as a reminder of the great man who owned it.

Here it is with his Garrison Cap and a pointer his commanding general made for him from a 20mm casing and a 155 Howitzer primer core.

Posts: 186 | Location: Park County | Registered: February 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post