SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is this 226R Frame DAK Compatible
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this 226R Frame DAK Compatible Login/Join 
Picture of Ghost-1
posted
Need some help on trying to figure out if this 226R frame is DAK compatible. I tried to remember if it was it was or nit but can't and I tried TGS web site but their pic's are not working. I also tried using goggle for some pic's but all I seem to run into is pic's with no answer or pic's of 229's.

I would pop my E2 grips off my 229 and try to see but I am working with one hand and arm right now as I just had surgery back on the 6th of this month and my left arm and hand is not really working right now.

[URL=[url=https://flic.kr/p/21MfUV3]

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Posts: 3235 | Location: USA | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Looks like it should be fine to me.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ghost-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Looks like it should be fine to me.

Yeah that is what I was thinking but just want to be sure before I start looking around and trying to buy the parts I need to do the conversion.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Posts: 3235 | Location: USA | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Termites?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ghost-1
posted Hide Post
LOL. I know I did not even realize it was that dirty and have been meaning to strip it down and clean it but with everything gong on with me I have been busy and then just having surgery I have not really messed with it.

I figured when I get the parts together to do my conversion and strip everything out I will give the frame a really good cleaning and slap some new grease on the DAK parts when I put it back together.

Picture of Ghost-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
Yes

Ok thanks. I guess I need to start shopping for all of the DAK parts to do the conversion.

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Good morning.

Just to keep the conversation going, if I may, please...

because DAK is awesome Big Grin

It is the size of the opening that determines whether DAK installation is possible, correct ?

Therefore, if the opening is the smaller size, is it possible to have it enlarged?

Was extremely hopeful that my M11-A1 could be converted to DAK, but was told it was not to be Frown

If it is possible to have the opening enlarged, then... Wink

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
It is the size of the opening that determines whether DAK installation is possible, correct ?

Unfortunately, it’s not only the size of the window into the frame that’s different about the DAK mechanism. If it were, it would probably be possible to make a conversion with just a file. The frame is further modified inside, and that’s the difficulty.

Non-DAK frames can be modified, but the problem is finding someone who can and is willing to do it. SIG modified some, and I’m pretty certain I have one, a 9mm P229. Rumor was that when the DAK system was first announced and orders were placed by an LE agency that a number of existing frames were modified for the purpose. For a very brief time SIG even said that they would perform the service for individual consumers, but that was quickly dropped and I’m not aware of their having done it on any previously-owned guns.

Grayguns modified a P226 stainless frame for me, and as to be expected, the pistol can’t be distinguished from a factory gun. At that time when they were offering the service they said it could be done only with stainless frames. Much later, though, I recall a statement that they’d also do it on aluminum frames, but that didn’t last long either. At this point I don’t even know if they will still modify any frames. I suspect that these days they have more than enough work to keep them busy without undertaking what may be a somewhat tricky and difficult modification.

I’m not aware of anyone else who does/has done the conversion of frames to accept DAK parts. For some inexplicable reason even SIG doesn’t make all new Classic-line frames DAK-compatible, so it’s definitely a dying system.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Vielen Dank, mein Sigfreund ! Smile

Your response seems to explain it all.

I would've been glad to pay for the frame modification, had l known that was what was needed and had they been willing to do it.

If there is a gunsmith who would still undertake the work, I would still consider to send out the M11-A1, again. That railless P229 in the other thread (layaway) would be appealing, if that is able to be directly converted, however.

Words cannot express how disappointing it is that Sig is letting DAK just fade away Frown

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Best of luck with your conversion! Smile

One caution on grips. DAKs are special.

One thing I found in putting non-DAK grips on my 226R DAK was that it impinged the trigger reset. I got some beautiful SIG Elite grips to put on it and found that after I did, the trigger wouldn't move forward after a shot. I could move it forward physically, but there was internal binding caused by the non-DAK grip. Frown

Found out the cause for the trigger-non-resetting (via the SIGforum brain trust, naturally) which is that DAK parts stick out a bit more from the frame in some spots compared to non-DAKs. DAK-compatible grips account for this by providing a bit more clearance, but non-DAK grips don't and the trigger bar area binds up.

The SIG Elite grips are wood, and I got my Dremel out and routed some clearance on my own.

Hopefully you have DAK-compatible grips, or a Dremel.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post