SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    X5 Competition recoil spring recommendation. UPDATE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

X5 Competition recoil spring recommendation. UPDATE Login/Join 
Picture of SilentButDeadly
posted
I have a Sig X5 Competition that I am going to start using for IPSC/USPSA and I'm going to start using 164 grn 9mm competition loads, what recoil spring weight do you recommend, and where are they available? My X5 has a 4 piece recoil setup.

Rick

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: I ordered a Wolff Gunsprings P226, calibration pak, with 10,11,12,13,14 pound spring weights, then I talked to Robert Burke @ The Sig Armorer. Robert was extremely informative, his advice was to start at 14# and work my way down to the lightest spring weight that functions trouble free. I worked my way down to 11# and fired several magazines trouble free. Robert said not to worry about the length difference between the factory recoil spring 4.6" and the new Wolff spring 5.0" which was due to the factory spring relaxing.

Pipe Smoker, thank you for your suggestion of contacting Robert Burke. https://www.thesigarmorer.com

Be well my friends and Merry Christmas!!

Rick Salazar

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SilentButDeadly,

NRA Benefactor Life Member -- NRA Recruiter -- NRA Huntington Beach Members Council -- Owning a Sig means never having to say you are sorry.

Posts: 88 | Registered: March 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Don’t know where you’d find X5 recoil springs. I just looked on Wolff Gunsprings’ web site, and saw none there. Call Robert Burke, TheSigArmorer, to see if he has a suggestion.

I have a 9mm X5 Comp too. The X5 has a heavy slide and barrel, so recoil velocity is low. And there’s the short, but stiff, secondary recoil spring, so I’m doubting that you need a different recoil spring. Robert would probably give you free (and expert) advice about that question.

The recoil spring for a .40 S&W X5 is another possibility, but I don’t know where you’d find one of those, either.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I am not sure what you mean when you say "164 grn 9mm competition loads"

Are you hand loading a light load? Heavy load? or normal?

I shoot 165 subsonics all the time my X-5 Tactical and P226 suppressed guns

I never changed recoils springs at all, just used the factory setup.

The firearms perform flawlessly regardless of if the can is on them or not.

An X-5 recoil spring is the same as a P226 recoil spring (presuming they are the same caliber). It fits on the front portion of the X5/6 recoil spring assembly

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
There are not a whole lot of options for tuning a 226 recoil spring. In the P226 and X5 Allround I've used for USPSA, I've only ever used either factory orange or the GGI pink (+P) springs.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P226 based X5 competition 9mm. I'm going to a 165gr, reduced load, hand load. The 165gr round recoil is much more mild than the factory 115gr loads I usually use. With the reduced loads which I have only tried once, I suffered multiple failures to eject, and stove piping. I called Sig and talked to customer service, all he could tell me was the stock recoil springs for the X5 are 16#-18#, but he had no more information than that. I also called Wolff, and they had no information. I also called Gray Guns but couldn't get through to anyone, so I sent an Email, and I am waiting for a reply. I went ahead and ordered a Wolff Recoil Calibration pack (stock # 13179) with 10#, 11#, 12#, 13# springs, they are 5" in length, my stock X5 recoil spring is 4.5" in length. I thought I would see what the Sig collective thinks, then I might cut a few coils off and give it a try. Thanks in advance for your replies.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: I ordered a Wolff Gunsprings P226, calibration pak, with 10,11,12,13,14 pound spring weights, then I talked to Robert Burke @ The Sig Armorer. Robert was extremely informative, his advice was to start at 14# and work my way down to the lightest spring weight that functions trouble free. I worked my way down to 11# and fired several magazines trouble free. Robert said not to worry about the length difference between the factory recoil spring 4.6" and the new Wolff spring 5.0" which was due to the factory spring relaxing.

Pipe Smoker, thank you for your suggestion of contacting Robert Burke. https://www.thesigarmorer.com

Be well my friends and Merry Christmas!!

Rick Salazar

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SilentButDeadly,

NRA Benefactor Life Member -- NRA Recruiter -- NRA Huntington Beach Members Council -- Owning a Sig means never having to say you are sorry.

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I don't have nor have I shot an x5, but on my 19/2011's, I run the lightest spring that returns to battery... i don't think I would approach a sig any differently. I run 11# or 12# springs on .40's and 9# or 10# springs on the 9's.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I have shot my X5 Competition pretty extensively in USPSA. I use the standard 226 9mm recoil spring. As far as that little bugger on the guide rod assembly goes, I have never replaced it.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SilentButDeadly:
my stock X5 recoil spring is 4.5" in length

I'd either count coils or compare to a new recoil spring length. Your used spring will be shorter than a new one of the same type.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Bob Boilini at Firearms Depot sometimes has P226 X5 recoil springs, but. I got an email today from Firearms Depot saying they're out and they will have some German part kits with recoil springs in 2-3 months. You can email Bob and be on his waiting list. Web page below has his email.
https://www.firearmsdepot.us/

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
Bob Boilini at Firearms Depot sometimes has P226 X5 recoil springs, but. I got an email today from Firearms Depot saying they're out and they will have some German part kits with recoil springs in 2-3 months. You can email Bob and be on his waiting list. Web page below has his email.
https://www.firearmsdepot.us/

Regular P226 Wolff recoil springs work good. For my purposes I worked down to an 11# recoil spring and all is well.

Thanks for your reply,

Merry Christmas,

Rick

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it running. Good luck with your competition.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SilentButDeadly:
<snip>
Pipe Smoker, thank you for your suggestion of contacting Robert Burke.<snip>

You’re welcome! Robert is a great guy; the SIG community is fortunate to have him as a resource. And he’s so responsive, with fast turn around.

My 9mm X5 Comp has a Robert Burke action job. Its trigger is now as good, maybe better, than any L1 X5. Short take up, crisp 2-1/4 lb. break, little over travel, short (and wonderfully crisp) reset. And all this without the complexity of the L1 trigger set. Robert also offered to move the break point to the rear, but I liked its original position.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post