SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P228 KKote slide with Nickel P229 frame
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P228 KKote slide with Nickel P229 frame Login/Join 
posted
I've got a Sig P228 with KKote slide made in Germany, not W Germany with a Nickel P229 frame and the only thing I can find out about this set up, is that Sig tells me back in 1995 they ran out of P228 frames and had to use P229 frames and that since the frame was nickel coated that it was a specialty dealer that requested them, does anyone else have or know of these and which part of the forum should I post or ask the question. Thanks

Posts: 18 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip and help, Glen

Posts: 18 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure Q will chime in at some point. I have never heard of such a gun, but it sounds really cool. post some pics Big Grin

if Sig says that's what happened, then that's what happened. Not really much to question there or so one would think. Like you, I also wonder how many are out there.

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 327 | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
They had P228 frames WAY beyond 1995z

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guess is frankenSIG but you never know. I wouldn’t take a SIG C/S word on anything past the last year, much less 20 years. A SIG factory box with item number, SN, and description is about the only thing I’d believe when it comes to rare / unique configs.

Lots of P228 knowledge in this linked thread

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/3810077763/p/1

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulcan900:
I've got a Sig P228 with KKote slide made in Germany, not W Germany with a Nickel P229 frame and the only thing I can find out about this set up, is that Sig tells me back in 1995 they ran out of P228 frames and had to use P229 frames and that since the frame was nickel coated that it was a specialty dealer that requested them, does anyone else have or know of these and which part of the forum should I post or ask the question. Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by tigerbloodwinning:
I'm sure Q will chime in at some point. I have never heard of such a gun, but it sounds really cool. post some pics Big Grin

if Sig says that's what happened, then that's what happened. Not really much to question there or so one would think. Like you, I also wonder how many are out there.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
They had P228 frames WAY beyond 1995z

quote:
My guess is frankenSIG but you never know. I wouldn’t take a SIG C/S word on anything past the last year, much less 20 years. A SIG factory box with item number, SN, and description is about the only thing I’d believe when it comes to rare / unique configs.

Lots of P228 knowledge in this linked thread

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/3810077763/p/1

It sounds like OP is not the original owner of this RTT Nickel P228? And that's why he asked?

Except for the P229 SAS frame and the P229 railed frame which are on some 2009 and 2011 P228s, and the stainless frame that is on the Special Configuration P228 of 2012 and 2013 directly from the factory, the P228 frame is physically identical to the P229(9) frame. Visually, you can't differentiate them, but for the serial number styles. So, what makes OP says he has the P229 frame? Is it the SAS frame? the railed frame? the stainless frame? or the frame that has the P229-style serial number? Why don't you post a couple of pics?

I agree 100% with what the RHINO wrote. I don't know what SIG does to train their present-day CSRs, but many of them simply pull BS answers out of thin air, when answering the phone. Even when answering via email, they sometimes straight out lie to you. It's embarrassing. See if you can spot a true statement below.

- The folded slides from the last batch of P228s were made right here at SIG NH.
- You cannot use the P210 Legend mag in the new P210A.
- There were no Nickel P228s in 1990. They were all black.
- Factory does not lubricate your gun after service, just to show how clean the gun is after their ultrasonic cleaning.

So, the statement that SIG CS told you they ran out of P228 frames in 1995 and had to use the P229 frames is just another rabbit out of the hat?

Speaking of the RTT Nickel frame P228, the only one I'm aware of is a factory CPO (not factory original) that was done some time in the mid 90s. The original frame is from a 1991 P228 (serial # B151509). Part number: UD228-9-T. Not mine, and pics of the slide is too blurry to make out if it is of the original gun, or it came from a different one.

Q

Posts: 26324 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not the original owner, Bought it from the original owner some years back who never kept the boxes and he told me he purchased it on the east coast some years back. Took it to our local DFW Sig Amorer and he told me it was something he had never heard of or seen before. So I'm just asking if anyone else has seen one. I've never posted pictures before and as soon as I learn how, I'll do it. Thanks, Glen

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not the original owner, Bought it from the original owner some years back who never kept the boxes and he told me he purchased it on the east coast some years back. Took it to our local DFW Sig Amorer and he told me it was something he had never heard of or seen before. So I'm just asking if anyone else has seen one. I've never posted pictures before and as soon as I learn how, I'll do it. Thanks, Glen
[IMG]C:\Gun Pictures\New Gun Pictures[/IMG]

posted Hide Post
I'll try and take some more pictures, You should just be able to load a file from your computer vs URL later when I get home. Thanks, Glen
https://ibb.co/f1hghBd

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Glen,

That is a P229 frame. Serial # AE13683 would put it in 1995. My opinion is, it is an aftermarket FrankenSIG, not from factory. The SIG CSR told you a BS story, as far as I'm concerned. P228 frames were plenty that year. Tons on real P228s with P228-style serial numbers were made that year, and many years after. There was no shortage of P228 frames.

Q

Posts: 26324 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'd put heavy money on FrankenSIG.

Reverse 2-Tones are Rare (usually they were black frame, Nickel slide) and I've never heard of any K-Kotes being used in 2-Tone in any manner.

Doesn't mean it's a bad pistol, but it just doesn't fit what SIG was making back then. And yes there is a long shot that it actually is a legit build, but those odds are very long IMO.

It could be a CPO SIG (pistols sent back for refurbishment / warranty / LEO trade ins, all refurbished and resold as Certified Pre Owned) sold in the 2000s and is just a Nickel frame mated to a K-Kote slide.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, I'd put heavy money on FrankenSIG.

Reverse 2-Tones are Rare (usually they were black frame, Nickel slide) and I've never heard of any K-Kotes being used in 2-Tone in any manner.

Doesn't mean it's a bad pistol, but it just doesn't fit what SIG was making back then. And yes there is a long shot that it actually is a legit build, but those odds are very long IMO.

It could be a CPO SIG (pistols sent back for refurbishment / warranty / LEO trade ins, all refurbished and resold as Certified Pre Owned) sold in the 2000s and is just a Nickel frame mated to a K-Kote slide.

Who knows for sure without the box, I've got 3 Sig P228's all made in 88, but the old guy I bought this one from in 2010, told me that he had sent if back and had the slide coated at Sig, but I've asked Sig twice about this gun and they were selling the hell out of P228's back in the 90's and they would get slides from Germany in 95 and assemble them in the U.S. and they would run out of frames from time to time. Contacted Klein plating and they did so many for Sig but I'd have to find out who the Dealer they were making them from to find an answer. Neat pistol though and I cannot tell the difference in the way it shoots from the other P228's I have but it's so much better than the newer P228's or the M11A1 Thanks for the Help. Glen

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Glen,

That is a P229 frame. Serial # AE13683 would put it in 1995. My opinion is, it is an aftermarket FrankenSIG, not from factory. The SIG CSR told you a BS story, as far as I'm concerned. P228 frames were plenty that year. Tons on real P228s with P228-style serial numbers were made that year, and many years after. There was no shortage of P228 frames.

I've tried to keep all the boxes and cases from any of the new ones I purchase and I've been guilty in the past for throwing things away. Now I just wished I'd kept everything. Thanks, Glen

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who knows for sure without the box, I've got 3 Sig P228's all made in 88,...

1988 P228? JJ date code? And, you have 3 of them? Eek

Q

posted Hide Post
OP, judging purely by the font, the barrel in your Reverse-two-tone Sig is likely a US-made barrel, not a German one. I am also leaning more towards Franken-Sig but you never know I guess.

I don't know why, but originally I assumed you were talking to someone higher up at Sig, not a basic CSR.

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 327 | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigerbloodwinning:
OP, judging purely by the font, the barrel in your Reverse-two-tone Sig is likely a US-made barrel, not a German one.
I missed that, definitely not mid-90s barrel font IMO.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes the Sig Armorer says that all were from the first 700 brought to the United States. One I carry and the other two just stay in the safe. Got a P220 in 9mm that I don't shoot anymore with no import marks. Funny how you can find strange things here in Texas when you just open your eyes.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes the Sig Armorer says that all were from the first 700 brought to the United States. One I carry and the other two just stay in the safe. Got a P220 in 9mm that I don't shoot anymore with no import marks. Funny how you can find strange things here in Texas when you just open your eyes.

Interesting that he said that, since there were only 100 JJ P228s made (serial # B100001 to B100100), and only 10 were sent to SIG USA. The rest stayed in Europe. And none were for public sale. This info was obtained from the former manager at SIG DE.

Post pics of your JJ P228s, so all of us could admire. Cool

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Everyone knows him and trust him for all of there work and they drive 100's of miles to get to him for work on there Sig's and maybe, just maybe he does smoke a little to much of the wacky weed, I'll be careful before I quote him next time. He is a Good Guy though

Interesting that he said that, since there were only 100 JJ P228s made (serial # B100001 to B100100), and only 10 were sent to SIG USA. The rest stayed in Europe. And none were for public sale. This info was obtained from the former manager at SIG DE.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Everyone knows him and trust him for all of there work and they drive 100's of miles to get to him for work on there Sig's and maybe, just maybe he does smoke a little to much of the wacky weed, I'll be careful before I quote him next time. He is a Good Guy though

[IMG
https://ibb.co/9tKfcKz
Well he told me another story cause this one shows from 1989 according to https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7320040262