SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What to look for in pre 1970 colts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to look for in pre 1970 colts Login/Join 
posted
I am dreaming up a new project.

Specifically a large roll mark pre 1970 70 series 38 super for a custom gun and 9mm conversion combo.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge, the large roll marks were introduced with the Mark IV Series 70. A Pre-Series will have the smaller and more discreet markings.

Pre-Series:

Mark IV Series 70:

Posts: 117 | Registered: February 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbmcmjr:
To the best of my knowledge, the large roll marks were introduced with the Mark IV Series 70. A Pre-Series will have the smaller and more discreet markings.

Pre-Series:

Mark IV Series 70:

Bad nomenclature on my part, top one is the one i like.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
Wow. I love how clean and clear the roll marks are on those older colts.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to the local Richmond show this weekend. Besides being in a old decrepit K mart, In the Shitz side of town, with no AC on an 80 degree day.

I did see two older 70 Series (850 to 2300), No pre 1970 70 Series, Plenty of the MKIV 70 Series new production. ranging from 850 to 1650.

I need to see the gun in person. I have not fared well on unique pistol quality on GB. As I am planning to make this a project gun. So, the better over all shape it is in, The less work my smith has to do.

posted Hide Post
A 1966 Gold Cup National Match

Posts: 870 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is to purdy to see work done on. Ideally i would want to find one like the BHP I just found. 90% no box no paperwork. Plain Jane model. That doe make me a bit Jealous though.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I went to the local Richmond show this weekend. Besides being in a old decrepit K mart, In the Shitz side of town, with no AC on an 80 degree day.

I did see two older 70 Series (850 to 2300), No pre 1970 70 Series, Plenty of the MKIV 70 Series new production. ranging from 850 to 1650.

I need to see the gun in person. I have not fared well on unique pistol quality on GB. As I am planning to make this a project gun. So, the better over all shape it is in, The less work my smith has to do.

like the fairgrounds/RIR or the old Showplace were in a good part of town??

like mentioned, a pre 1970 70 Series, is not likely to be found, since the 70's series started in 1970..... Colt's before 1970 are called Colt Commercial models, (with various names based on caliber)

I sold a nice 38 super, 70's series in the box, 95-98% gun, had a bomar installed on the rear, millet on the front, for $850 Sunday,

a Colt Commercial in 38 super, would have brought more in similar condition,
(Supers pre series 70 bring a premium, usually)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rir was not that bad, it could be the k-mart

Part of the reason for this thread was to learn more about them. I have never really looked into them before this. So, thanks for the education.

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
like mentioned, a pre 1970 70 Series, is not likely to be found, since the 70's series started in 1970..... Colt's before 1970 are called Colt Commercial models, (with various names based on caliber)

I sold a nice 38 super, 70's series in the box, 95-98% gun, had a bomar installed on the rear, millet on the front, for $850 Sunday,

I believe the Colt Series 70 pistols hit the dealer's shelves in 1971. Prior to the introduction of the Series 70 pistols, the two full sized 1911 pistols offered by Colt were the .45 caliber Government Model and the .38 caliber 38 Super. From his posts, I understand the OP to be looking for a pre Series 70 Colt 38 Super as his base pistol. While not difficult to locate, the market commands a hefty premium for the older 38 Super models. I suspect the challenge will be locating a pistol in the niche between beater and high valued collectible. This sounds like an interesting project. Please keep us informed. Thanks!

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

I believe the Colt Series 70 pistols hit the dealer's shelves in 1971. Prior to the introduction of the Series 70 pistols, the two full sized 1911 pistols offered by Colt were the .45 caliber Government Model and the .38 caliber 38 Super. From his posts, I understand the OP to be looking for a pre Series 70 Colt 38 Super as his base pistol. While not difficult to locate, the market commands a hefty premium for the older 38 Super models. I suspect the challenge will be locating a pistol in the niche between beater and high valued collectible. This sounds like an interesting project. Please keep us informed. Thanks!

correct on the Gov't model, I have a habit of calling all that have a serial number ending in C a commercial,

not to pick nits, but the 38 supers are technically Super 38 Automatics (going by the logo on the slide)

excellent pistols, either way

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post