SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Kimber to open manufacturing plant in Troy, Alabama
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber to open manufacturing plant in Troy, Alabama Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
http://www.al.com/business/ind...ml#incart_river_home

U.S. firearms maker Kimber Manufacturing will open a $38 million production facility in Troy, creating 366 jobs over the next five years.

Gov. Kay Ivey announced the move today during her State of the State address. The factory will make Kimber's sixth U.S. location.

The Yonkers, N.Y.-based company said it will build a large, automated design, engineering and manufacturing facility in Troy to open by early 2019.

Ivey said the state "can offer Kimber an ideal business environment and a skilled workforce for its expansion project."

"Kimber's investment in Troy will create a significant number of high-paying design engineering and manufacturing jobs, and we are committed to helping the company find long-lasting success in Alabama," she said.

Leslie Edelman, Kimber's president and chief executive officer, said the state's "impressive track record" in attracting and retaining world-class manufacturing companies was a factor in the company's decision.

"Growing our company intelligently depends significantly on being in the right manufacturing environment, and in Troy, we have a community dedicated to our long-term success," Edelman said. "It has been a pleasurable and fruitful experience working with (Troy) Mayor Jason Reeves and his team."

The company's entrance into Alabama is being driven by demand for its products, James Cox, Kimber's chief financial officer, said.

Alabama Secretary of Commerce Greg Canfield called Kimber "a first-class firearms manufacturer with a reputation for precision craftsmanship, dependability and accuracy, which makes it just the kind of high-performance company we want to attract to the state."

"We look forward to Kimber joining the ranks of great manufacturers that are growing and thriving in our state," he said.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to see!!

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I wish all the gun company's would move to free states.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are they going to focus on one certain area of Kimber or all areas of manufacturing?

Posts: 397 | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So will my Yonkers, NY models be collectors items now?

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They will probably get so many tax breaks and outright subsidies that, as an Alabama resident, I should get a free gun.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A NY based company expanding elsewhere? Why that's never happened before!

FUAC

Posts: 21054 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I was glad to hear this news, and had missed-out on any advance notice / tumors / hints about it - a pleasant surprise!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6690 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:

Kimbers are made in the PDRNJ, not Yonkers

---------------The Answer Is There Is No Answer---------------

Posts: 152 | Registered: January 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exfed2001:
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:

Kimbers are made in the PDRNJ, not Yonkers

Actually, Kimber was in Yonkers, NY, before that, the corporate HQ is still in Yonkers. And, before that, they were in Clackamas, OR. Wink

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, their reliability will improve.

Happy to see them in AL. We're getting a Toyota/Mazda plant in Huntsville as well.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, Kimber was in Yonkers, NY, before that, the corporate HQ is still in Yonkers. And, before that, they were in Clackamas, OR

NJ came after Yonkers. They bought a existing building when they could not expand in NY. their production has been going for almost ten years now. Rifles were never manufactured

They currently have four of five locations around the country.there.

Aero Moulding in ridgefield, NJ has been around for some time. Kimber manufacturers more than firearms. they have a large tool ,and die operation in their NJ facility. doesn't appear that they are moving as the hiring is still going on there.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
From the article this is about expansion and not a consolidation move like Remington/Freedom Group did with their Alabama facility.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remington and now Kimber. Good job Alabama!

Posts: 56 | Location: Alabama | Registered: September 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'm amazed they've stayed in Yonkers. I can't see any advantage to being there over pretty much anywhere else.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
Actually, Kimber was in Yonkers, NY, before that, the corporate HQ is still in Yonkers. And, before that, they were in Clackamas, OR

NJ came after Yonkers...

I believe that's what I said. Wink

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
BBS, it looks like Alabama is getting a new Toyota and Mazda plant too. They gonna make a bunch of cars down there. A lot. To repair my drift...Kimbers aint half bad.. Big Grin

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post