SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Update on "Red Box" CPO Sig P229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update on "Red Box" CPO Sig P229 Login/Join 
posted
I posted in Nov. 2018 about the certified pre-owned "red box" Sig P229 that I picked up for under $400. Police trade-ins that Sig runs through the factory, replacing any significantly worn or damaged parts, refinished to new standards, shipped with box, manual, two mags, one-year factory warranty.

Mine is a 1992-vintage standard DA-SA-decocker in .40 S&W. At the time I purchased it the MSRP for a new P229 was $1087, so the price was excellent.

Over the next several months I suffered debilitating problems in my strong arm requiring wrist and elbow surgery followed by months of physical therapy. That was followed by cataract surgery to both eyes a couple months ago. So it has been quite a while before I was able to give the new Sig a work-out at the range.

12-round factory magazines are a pain to load. On advice of other forum members I purchased the Uplula loader, which I recommend.

I have tested the pistol with factory ammo (CCI 165FMJ, Winchester 180FMJ, and Remington Golden Sabre 180JHP) as well as my handloads (180 hard cast, 180FMJ). All functions are 100% with no failures to report after 350 rounds.

Pistol shoots to point of aim at 50-feet on the indoor range near my home. Decocker works flawlessly and becomes intuitive with a little practice. Reloading is fast and easy, bump in a fresh mag and short-rack the slide to chamber the first round. DA pull estimated at about 18#, smooth with no noticeable "stacking" of the tension. SA pull estimated at 4-5#, no significant over-travel, crisp and easy to get used to.

I had the Fedders family (purchased Lobo Gun Leather from me when I retired in 2015) make two holsters for me. First was the Combat Classic, which is an excellent choice for combat-style use. Second was the Model 1 Pancake, which was my original design dating to 1972, an excellent holster for comfortable and discreet carry of the full-size handguns.

Anyone considering the purchase of a Sig pistol would do well to consider the "red box" guns. I see them available through a couple of suppliers, as well as several dealers on GunBroker.com. Several variations of the P229, P226, and a couple of more recent Tupperware frame models.

Best regards.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
DA pull estimated at about 18#

Is that a fat finger misprint? SIG double action is factory at 10#.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: az4783054,

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
quote:

Is that a fat finer misprint? SIG double action is factory at 10#.

Note my use of the term "estimated". I have not used a trigger pull gauge, just my impression after more than 50 years of using just about every type of handgun available. It is entirely possible that my estimate is not as accurate as it could be.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
ok

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
quote:
quote:

Note my use of the term "estimated". I have not used a trigger pull gauge, just my impression after more than 50 years of using just about every type of handgun available. It is entirely possible that my estimate is not as accurate as it could be.

estimate of trigger pull may not be calibrated but your holsters were/are top notch. Used one today to carry my snubby N frame 357.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are you going to get a 357 sig barrel for it? Or a Barsto 9mm?

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
LoboGunLeather, I got mine yesterday.

Having no trigger weight gauge either, I'll estimate the trigger pull to be 18#, or more.

Fortunately, There's a Wolff hammer spring calibration kit waiting for the E2 grip kit to arrive.

https://www.gunsprings.com/SIG...229/cID1/mID4/dID253

If interested, be aware that there's a set for the older metal hammer spring base versus the newer plastic hammer spring bases.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
LoboGunLeather, I got mine yesterday.

Having no trigger weight gauge either, I'll estimate the trigger pull to be 18#, or more.

Fortunately, There's a Wolff hammer spring calibration kit waiting for the E2 grip kit to arrive.

https://www.gunsprings.com/SIG...229/cID1/mID4/dID253

If interested, be aware that there's a set for the older metal hammer spring base versus the newer plastic hammer spring bases.

Good information. Thank you!

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are you going to get a 357 sig barrel for it? Or a Barsto 9mm?

I gave some thought to a .357 Sig barrel (one of the most interesting aspects of these pistols, IMO), decided against it for now (I own .45ACP, .44 mag, .44 Spl, .357 mag, .38 Spl, 9X19, .380 and others so I have a pretty good range of calibers available now).

For 9mm I rely on my old Browning Hi Power. I have owned and carried others over the years, but none have ever earned the "must have" status of the BHP for me.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
quote:
quote:
quote:

estimate of trigger pull may not be calibrated but your holsters were/are top notch. Used one today to carry my snubby N frame 357.

Thanks for your kind comments. When I retired in 1995 the Fedders family purchased Lobo Gun Leather and moved the company to Ely, Minnesota. They continue making just about all of my original designs, as well as some of their own innovations. I am very pleased with the quality of work and commitment to customer service.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.

Picture of Deputy 617
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your P229. My agency switched to Glock 17's shortly before I hired on, after having carried a P220 at my previous agency for more than a decade. My current agency had previously issued P229's in .40, and I asked if they still had any in the armory. I was told that they did have a couple, but that most officers had purchased their issued guns from the city when the switch occurred.

As it turns out, the only ones they had left, were a couple of UNISSUED ones, and I was welcome to purchase one for the same price that all the others had been sold at. The price... $300.00. Let me tell you, I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. That P229 is one of my favorite guns that I own, and is probably the single best deal I have ever gotten on a firearm. The Chief even thanked me for buying it as they are unable (unwilling?) to sell them to the public, and he said they will simply sit in the armory untouched.

I have thought of buying more, but I really don't need them, and I won't resell them. I have decided instead, to try to get younger guys who hire on with us to appreciate them, and encourage them to purchase one of their own. These fellas raised on nothing but Tupperware could certainly learn to love a Classic SIG Sauer. The P229 is a fantastic pistol.

SIG SAUER...... Get you some!

Posts: 369 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've had a TDA Sig P229 in .357 SIG on my list for a while. It may be next in line after a 1911 in 10mm.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ely, MN huh? Was not familiar with this brand but I could always support a in state business. Thanks for the information.

Posts: 339 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I've had a TDA Sig P229 in .357 SIG on my list for a while. It may be next in line after a 1911 in 10mm.

I have a 229 with a stainless frame and shooting the 357 sig in that is quite manageable. If I was to get 10mm in 1911 would also go for the steel frame.