SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The case for the full sized Glock 9mm
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The case for the full sized Glock 9mm Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The G26 is okay for pocket or ankle carry, but I prefer more grip if I can get it. I carry a G32, and I prefer the full grip of a G31. Likewise, the G19 is great. A G17 feels better in the hand.

The tradeoff is concealability.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If I could have one pistol only, it would be a Glock G17.

Posts: 107461 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Full sized glock for me would have to be a Gen5. The finger grooves dont work for me on the fullsize like they do on the g19. But id say the gen5 g17 - the accuracy improvements being reported in the new gen 5 barrels would negate any accuracy potential out of the 34 for me, and the longer sight radius is nearly canceled out by the longer draw IMO.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The extra 1inch of sight radius on the 34 would be worth it to me ( on a range/bedside gun).

Oh, heck, I think Fenderbender has the best idea.

quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
17L Cool

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
What about a 26 with a 19 Mag and a XGRIP “spacer”. FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good answer...question.

JMag
"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." ? Winston Churchill

Posts: 798 | Location: Southeastern U.S. | Registered: March 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

That's about as ringing an endorsement as a feller can give right there.

Concisely written too.

Here's another thought, just to keep spit-balling. With the advent of the gen 5, I have some opportunity to pick up some really good deals on older generation guns.

At what price-point/savings, would I be as well served buying a new gen3 26 and 17 over a gen 4/5 or gen 4/4 set-up? If it's $100 cheaper? $200? At some point, despite the gen 3s being a magazine down right out of the box, the dollars available for extra magazines, sights and lights starts to out-weigh having the newest iteration of a pretty standard design.

(With full realization that Glorp HQ could throw off the whole plan at any moment by dropping the gen 5 26 Big Grin )

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a Glock guy, but I've owned a few. G21SF, G27 and a G34. They felt like bricks to me.

Having said that, I just bought a Gen5 Model 17. What an improvement in ergonomics and trigger.

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Never had a Glock 17. Never shot a Glock 34. Yet.

As far as a range gun, I did buy a Glock 21 and convert it to .38 Super with a six inch barrel. You can get almost the whole box of .38s in a Kriss Vector magazine. Big Grin

Some day I'll get that 1911 in 45ACP everybody is talking about...

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some day I'll get that 1911 in 45ACP everybody is talking about...

Never heard of it. Wink

I like metal guns, and I have a particular fondness for open slide Berettas, but my defensive guns - the ones I keep on me or near me and stoked with defensive ammo - have been and will continue to be Glocks.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have carried for the past 28 years either a Glock 17, 22 or a Sig 226 pistol off duty. When you are muddy, bloody or sweaty you want all the grip you can get. When the problems start all the BBs you can carry and then a reload. I believe that you should budget a mimimum of 3 rounds per problem if you shoot like Ernest Langdon. If you are not that good more is more better. Bigger is better in any lethal force encounter. The way to look at carrying a full size pistol is this, I have target pistol to target dangerous problems. I can attest that when things go sideways you will go through a magazine quicker that you think you will. I have tried to conceal a 34 it did not work for me like a 17 does this is just one idiot's opinion. VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
The 17 is my vote....mainly because I have gone to all gen 5 glocks now

But I think it would still be the answer even if there was a gen 5 34

(Fwiw, I know glock has said they aren't doing the 34 or 26 in gen 5....but I think they're lying Wink and am saving my pennies accordingly )

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go with the 17 also ,when I looked at the new gen 5 guns the 17/5 was a perfect fit I took it over the 19/5 but I did buy a new 19/5 with the FBI night sights later .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
The 17 is my vote....mainly because I have gone to all gen 5 glocks now

But I think it would still be the answer even if there was a gen 5 34

(Fwiw, I know glock has said they aren't doing the 34 or 26 in gen 5....but I think they're lying Wink and am saving my pennies accordingly )

I'm with you. I think the Gen5's are that good.

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Glock 17. The Original, and still the Greatest!!

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I got a G19 Gen 5 when they came out and love it............until I picked up a G17 Gen 5.The G17 feels better in my hands and I shoot it extremely well. I shoot the G19 G5 pretty damn good, but not near what I can do with the G17. I am putting a few more rounds through both until I decide to qualify with both for off duty carry. I think this next year's off duty carry pistols will be known as the "Year of the Glock": G43, G17 and G19 (yes, I know I need to get a G26 Smile )

Posts: 3925 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Up until Gen 5, my only viable option* (bear hands) was a G17/22/31 size. Now I can finally own a compact that I like with the G19-5. At some point I'll pick up a Gen 5 17 as well.

(* didn't want a Gen 1 or 2, and didn't want to mod a Gen 3/4 grip)

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Same here. I only carry 19's and own several. But if I had to pare it down to one, my first gen 17 would be the one to stay. It's just right.

Posts: 17101 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post