SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Gen 5 Grip circumference...any smaller?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gen 5 Grip circumference...any smaller? Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted
I'm guessing it's not any different, but can anyone with a Gen 5 comment? Is the grip any smaller in circumference than the gen 4?

Is the hump on the backstrap any smaller?

Thanks.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Just measured around the grips on a Gen 4 (center of the middle finger groove) and a Gen 5. They both measured 5.5". Laying them on top of each other, the profile appears to be identical.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Tooky13, are the grip textures identical, or the Gen5 is slightly rougher? They say it's RTF4. WTH is RTF4?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
RTF4 is the texture that's already on the Gen 4s. The texture on the Gen 5s is identical.

RTF2 and RTF3 both use smaller pointed pyramid textures, compared to the larger, blunted pyramids used on RTF4.

Glock has produced a number of "special run" pistols with the RTF2 texture, including the Gen 3 RTF models and the Gen 3 Vickers models. To my knowledge, no commercial Glocks have been produced with RTF3 texture.

Here's a photo from some older Glock promo material that shows a mockup of the RTF2 and RTF3 textures:

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Tooky13, are the grip textures identical, or the Gen5 is slightly rougher? They say it's RTF4. WTH is RTF4?

To me, the look and feel of the G4 and G5 textures are identical.
Now, comparing them to my Vickers, which is G3 RTF, they're quite different. The 'nubs' are much smaller and closer together on the G3. Without counting, I would say there's twice as many than on the G4 & G5. Also, curiously, the G3 RTF circumferance is a little larger. It measures 5.6".

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I know RTF2 and love it, but never heard of RTF3. Where is the RTF3 found on any Glock models? The Vickers? Never seen them referred to as RTF3.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Thanks tooky!

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
Also, curiously, the G3 RTF circumferance is a little larger. It measures 5.6".

A Gen 1/2/3 Glock's grip circumference is equivalent to a Gen 4/5 Glock with the Medium backstrap installed.

With no backstrap installed, the Gen 4/5's grip is slightly smaller around.

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I know RTF2 and love it, but never heard of RTF3. Where is the RTF3 found on any Glock models? The Vickers? Never seen them referred to as RTF3.

As I stated, I don't believe any models have been offered with the RTF3 texture. The Vickers Glocks have RTF2 texture.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The G42 and G43 have a different raised texture than the usual Gen3 RTF2 and Gen4 RTF(whatever#). Their raised rectangles/squares are definitely not as tall as those on any of my Gen4 guns. Since that variant came after the Gen4 finish, perhaps those single-stack Glocks should have the 'RTF4' name. However AFAIK Glock has long referred to the Gen4 texture as "Gen4 RTF", with no sequence number to go with it.

So who knows...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post