SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Got my CHiPs gun...Integral rail S&W 4006TSW
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got my CHiPs gun...Integral rail S&W 4006TSW Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piedrarc:
quote:
Originally posted by 4859:
CHP also requested no trigger return springs on these and the previous issue 4006. They have some odd requirements on handguns.

Yes! That's something I've never gotten an answer to.

It's not the trigger return spring it's the trigger play spring and the guns function fine without them. The SA pull has a tiny bit of slop to it with out it. I think the reason they went without them is that the FBI had a ton of them break on the 1076 and the CHP wanted to limit any non-essential parts that could break.

As for the night sights using them in transition from light to dusk when a flashlight isn't that helpful is a big plus. Also not giving away your position with a light and still being able to aim your gun is another big plus.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

As for the night sights using them in transition from light to dusk when a flashlight isn't that helpful is a big plus. Also not giving away your position with a light and still being able to aim your gun is another big plus.

Since 1929 we've never had night sights (not that I've been around that long either). None of the advantages you cited were ever considered and to my knowledge analyized in tons of gunfights. Yes, I get it. I completely agree with you and trust me... It was brought up often. It is odd, but a lot of officers would place a drop of photo luminescent paint on the front sight and habitually charge the front sight during low light while the weapon was holstered. Adapt and overcome Smile

All the M&P's FS and 40c's have night sights. Yes we have stepped into the 1990's..... ha ha

This message has been edited. Last edited by: piedrarc,

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78

It's not the trigger return spring it's the trigger play spring and the guns function fine without them.

That is right. Thanks for the correction. I have had to replace a number of Trigger Play springs on mine and other folks guns. Have to totally disassemble the frame to get at it!

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
That was one of our duty guns for years. Heavy as hell. down side is replacement parts are gone. I switched to a 4013TSW when I moved to admin.

S&W did a run years back . But in 2014 they stopped supporting the 3rd. gen. The lifetime warranty is useless. We had frames crack. All they would do is sell you a M&P which was useless to use.

When we started with S&W back in 1984 with the then new 659, night sights were not an option. fixed or adjustable. They did start offering them later on when they became more commonplace.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought two, both very lightly used. These pistols are the apogee of S&W third generation guns. I believe that they could compete favorably with high end DA/SA pistols currently on the market.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Beautiful all metal S&W classic.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLD_COP:
I bought two, both very lightly used. These pistols are the apogee of S&W third generation guns. I believe that they could compete favorably with high end DA/SA pistols currently on the market.

I concur. I stripped mine down today to clean and was blown away by the quality of the machine work. There's not a single piece of plastic or alloy on this gun aside from the grips. Very high quality.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piedrarc:
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
quote:
Originally posted by 4506:
CHP is moving to the M&P 40 1.0 as their new pistol.

I haven't heard that. Last I heard on the grapevine was they convinced S&W to pull out the old machinery to make another run of the 4006.

Old machinery, nope. CHP is currently switching to the M&P .40 1.0

quote:
Originally posted by EmpireState:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 4506:
CHP is moving to the M&P 40 1.0 as their new pistol.

I haven't heard that. Last I heard on the grapevine was they convinced S&W to pull out the old machinery to make another run of the 4006.

For a "premier" law enforcement agency, they seem to pick weird guns to outfit their officers with. Do they all have to carry the issued gun or can they carry other guns on duty?

All are issued the same gun "on duty", with certain units that have the choice to get a compact. 4006-4013 now the M&P .40 - M&P .40c
I'm taking primary sidearm, this does not include off duty or secondary weapons.

So, when is the transition happening, as the CHP's I work with have still had the S&W's. (Although it's been a few months...). Just curious how the transition is going?

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:

So, when is the transition happening, as the CHP's I work with have still had the S&W's. (Although it's been a few months...). Just curious how the transition is going?

Started in Feb of this year. Only a handful of Southern California CHP officers have them, all of which are Range Officers. Southern Divisions team will spool up in Nov and hopefully by next year the ball will be rolling as long as the deliveries of M&P's aren't delayed for some reason.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
It a shame you guys aren't getting the 2.0. Such a better gun.

Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
I am stuck carrying the 1.0...I would rather have kept my glock 22 gen 2. The 4006tsw is a really cool looking gun.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
It a shame you guys aren't getting the 2.0. Such a better gun.

I agree. When S&W came down I was wringing out the 2.0, I really liked it.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
Have a 4046 from way back and just picked up a 4043. The 4046 was one of the guns tested by PA State Police when we went to Autos and was one of the three finalists with SIG229 and Beretta 96D. I am very happy with the 404X family.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I love the 3rd Gen Smiths with the exception of the 4043. We did not have good experiences with the 4043 as a duty weapon. The 5946 was indestructible and the 4046 was a fine weapon. The 4043s had issues with durability and reliability for us. I was glad to see to see us switch to Sig.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the older CHP 4006 gun which is a clean gun never a problem . I wanted the CHP 4006 tactical and could not get the one they had till now . Got one last week put maybe 150flawless rounds down range no problems . I did have the right side decock lever fly off need another assembly now spring and detent .

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I picked up mine yesterday. A little wear on the grips and a few shiney spots on the slide. Very pleased. And very tempted to order another.

Were there any lights issued or authorized for use with these? I just tried to snap my Surefire X300U on and it hits the trigger guard before I can lock it in on the end slot.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I picked up mine yesterday. A little wear on the grips and a few shiney spots on the slide. Very pleased. And very tempted to order another.

Were there any lights issued or authorized for use with these? I just tried to snap my Surefire X300U on and it hits the trigger guard before I can lock it in on the end slot.

TLR-1 is the issued light.
Here's the holster that is issued as well. http://www.copquest.com/safari...-holster_23-2190.htm

notice its low ride only...

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

No lights were issued with the 4006TSW. TLR and X300 are authorized. Use the Universal attachment on the X300 and it should snap into place.

After breaking 3 TLR's, I vowed to only use the light that has never failed me - Surefire.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click