SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W model 36 spurred hammer to bobbed hammer?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W model 36 spurred hammer to bobbed hammer? Login/Join 
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted
Gents, I have my grandfather's S&W model 36 no dash and thinking about putting a bobbed hammer in it for pocket carry on occasion. I don't want to modify the original hammer. Numrich has both spurred and bobbed in stock. Will have to verify the fitment though. So, my options are to either buy the spurred and modify, or buy the bobbed if it will fit, or just call S&W and see if they will do it( I don't know if I want to send it out though). So, My question and concern is the fitment of the new hammer. Will it require stoning and mating? Can the old sear be taken off the old hammer and put on new hammer so I don't have to stone or fit? I'm pretty mechanical but have never done any sear type work and don't want to mess up the ignition system. Can you all give me your thoughts on this task. Thanks Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1137 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I'd say get a hold of Grant Cunningham ( one of best smith and Wesson guys) but he retired last year, his website recommends Frank Glen at Glenn Custom...for any smith and Wesson work. Grant used to bobb hammers and make them DA only. http://glenncustom.com/

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There will be a replacement hammer for the gun, but that is not a drop in part. It will have to be fit to the gun. Unless you know how to do it and have the tools, it will be a gunsmith job.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter-in-law and wife carry Smith M637s (the exposed hammer Airweight model) and have no problems drawing nor presentation from pocket or purse. Both carry in a pocket holster (Galco I think..the suade one) in either location. It's a matter of training to draw while covering the hammer with your thumb during withdrawal. Give it a try, may save you some $. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not alter my grandfather's gun, especially since hammerless variations are so readily available. The 442/642 series is available in no-lock versions as well, but that's just me.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I would not alter my grandfather's gun, especially since hammerless variations are so readily available. The 442/642 series is available in no-lock versions as well, but that's just me.

I hear you and that's a good point that I have been pondering. I was hoping it would be something simple. I will have to practice the method as described above about covering the hammer when presenting and go from there. I have plenty of pistol options for EDC but was looking at taking it for a stroll now and then. I have a Rgrizzle horsehide OWB for it as well as a Nightingale pocket holster. Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1137 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Does Hogue still make the grips that have “ears” that shroud the sides of the hammer?

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't risk damaging the old gun, and honestly I never had a problem pulling my 36 out of my pocket.

Definitely get a pocket holster for it.

I had to sell mine along with a pretty nice collection about 30 years ago. None of the guns I sold are still in production today, so they're irreplaceable. If I had yours, I'd clean it and store it, take it to the range occasionally, but use something else for concealed carry.

Incidentally, if I did my part, my 36 would do 2-1/2" groups at 75 feet with wadcutters. It was just as accurate as my 4" M-19, more accurate than my 2-1/2" M-66.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
I'd say get a hold of Grant Cunningham ( one of best smith and Wesson guys) but he retired last year, his website recommends Frank Glen at Glenn Custom...for any smith and Wesson work. Grant used to bobb hammers and make them DA only. http://glenncustom.com/

Frank Glenn is an excellent choice. He's a former Olympics champion shooter and former AZ DPS armorer. When he retired he opened his shop to build 1911 pistols. He's a master at whatever he does.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post

Thanks again fellas, I'll just leave it alone and take it out from time to time. I added the T grip but she has been welled loved by my grandfather and then my Uncle until I got it. Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

posted Hide Post
A Tyler T-Grip is an acceptable addition to any small-grip Smith! Cool

By the way, I'm guessing that the side plate has never been off that gun -- no sign of screwdriver marks.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have installed Tyler T-grips to all of my J frame handguns. Not only do they look correct, they feel correct. You have a great old J frame S&W.....enjoy!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
There will be a replacement hammer for the gun, but that is not a drop in part. It will have to be fit to the gun. Unless you know how to do it and have the tools, it will be a gunsmith job.

With due respect to Jhe888, this is not entirely true.

Especially with the older pre-lock S&Ws I've found parts to be frequently drop in interchangeable.

I would order the bobbed hammer you want and drop it in.

Posts: 1620 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
A Tyler T-Grip is an acceptable addition to any small-grip Smith! Cool

By the way, I'm guessing that the side plate has never been off that gun -- no sign of screwdriver marks.

It's been opened now after your observation. LOL. wasn't to bad, cleaned it out, and a little lube added with no addition of screw driver marks.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP