SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New P938 problem
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New P938 problem Login/Join 
posted
I recently procured a 938DB manufactured in DEC2016. The first time I had it to the range, It continually would strip a round from the magazine when ejecting the magazine, which would then tumble out of the mag-well. This was after I chambered a round with a full magazine and ejected the magazine to add another round. Is this a common problem? I had a 938 that was a couple years older but it never did this.

Illigitimus non tatum carborundum
"in god we trust, every one else keep your hands where i can see them"

Posts: 115 | Registered: January 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
This is a new one; haven't heard of this issue before but then I don't pay as much attention to 938 postings as I might if I actually owned one.

Do you have a second mag to try? I always look at the mag and its components first as the probable source for any operational issues. If it's stripping the uppermost cartridge out of the mag upon releasing the mag from the gun, it sounds like that round may be already partially out of the mag already. Perhaps the mag spring is overpowered/overtensioned, and is dragging on the #2 cartridge when your initially chambering the first. At this point it's just a WAG until a second mag can be tested.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It did this with two different 7 round extended magazines that came with it.

Illigitimus non tatum carborundum
"in god we trust, every one else keep your hands where i can see them"

Posts: 115 | Registered: January 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Does it still do it if you load light? Six instead of seven?

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
My current P938 had a similar issue when it was new. I'd load 6 rounds, chamber a round and eject the mag to top it off. The top round would sometimes be stripped all the way out and come tumbling out the magwell, but most of the time, the top round would only be partially moved forward in the mag and I'd just have to push it back. I didn't notice this happening after a couple of months. There were never any issues with the gun not feeding or functioning properly when fired. My Kahr PM9 did this too.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
That is common in a 1911. Have not heard of it in a 938 though.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is fairly common for my 938 if I am loaded full, chamber a round and eject the mag to top off. If it doesn't completely come out of the mag, it is indexed way forward in the mag. I just reload it or push it back as needed. It has never caused me operational problems when firing the gun.

Posts: 179 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
When reloading, as described by the OP, I find the top cartridge sitting forward in the magazine. It occurs whether the seven round magazine has six or seven cartridges inserted.

This condition has never caused a malfunction when firing my P938.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1929 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen this discussed here in the past and the verdict was that it is not unusual for the P938.

It's been a while, so I'm pretty sure any past discussions have been pruned by now.

The procedure was to insert one round in the magazine, insert the magazine and rack the round into the chamber, and then remove and top off the magazine to avoid the issue.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 239 does this.

I chalk it up to a built in "top round" rotation feature.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine does this also. Does not effect operation however.

Several Sigs and some others. Like and use them all.

Posts: 28 | Location: alabama | Registered: February 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is 3+ years old and does it with every mag I own. 5 regular and 2 extended all Sig mags.
I just have never paid it no mind so to speak.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Delray Beach Florida | Registered: March 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Mine often pushes a round forward on a full mag. Non problem of me as it runs and loads fine. Are these brand new mags or used?

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Mine did it when it was new, but now that I have shot it in, it no longer happens. I haven't put all that many rounds through it, either. Couple of hundred at most.

It's a bit odd, but never affected the functioning of the gun.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post

I just got this yesterday & took it to the range today. Between my wife & I we put over 300 rounds through it without a single malf. It strips the top round about halfway out of either of the supplied mags when I drop them, whether it's loaded to capacity, or downloaded one. I haven't had one strip completely out of the mag, though. Birthdate on the box says April 2017. Since it's been free of any other problems, I'm calling it gtg for carry.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine doesn't quite strip the top round but definitely pulls it forward (making ejecting a loaded mag a little difficult). It has never impacted operation though. I just load one round in the mag, insert, rack the round, eject the mag, and load up the mag.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
This is fairly common in my opinion (not a unicorn that is). I've had others (an Officer 1911) do the same. If not strip, like kil it pulls it forward. A nussience, but not a huge deal.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not that it happens every time with every gun, but it’s a characteristic of many pistols with single stack magazines. The friction between the top round and the second one down causes the second one to move forward when the top cartridge is chambered. Sometimes the round is moved forward enough that it’s dislodged if the magazine is then removed.

This was something that people used to whine about all the time with P220s as well. SIG responded to that criticism by putting an indentation at the top rear of 220 magazines to engage the extractor groove of the second round and keep it from moving forward.

The simplest solution to the annoyance is to load one round in the magazine, chamber it, remove the empty magazine, load it, and seat the loaded magazine.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MeatMan:
This is fairly common for my 938 if I am loaded full, chamber a round and eject the mag to top off. If it doesn't completely come out of the mag, it is indexed way forward in the mag. I just reload it or push it back as needed. It has never caused me operational problems when firing the gun.

My P938 that I purchased last month with a 7 round magazine does the same thing. I've put about 170 rounds through it and it has never failed to feed properly.

Posts: 15 | Location: Kingsport, TN | Registered: April 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same situation & consequences as the others.

Nuisance, but does not result in a normal operation issue.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post