SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Recommendation re: Night Sights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation re: Night Sights Login/Join 
posted
Gentlemen -

What are we liking for night sights these days. Going on (2) P226s and (1) P245. For home defense and carry.

Thanks

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Trijicon HD XR or Ameriglo Pro iDot

In both cases, there is minimal color/light on the rear sight and a bright orange outline around the front lamp.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i have I dots. I agree with the above

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Trijicon HD XRs. I like the U-notch.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have Trijicon HD's on my P239 and like them okay. I wish I would have waited and gotten the XR model.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Should have added that I’m at the reading glasses stage which makes sights tough to see clearly.

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those who have the Trijicon HDs, HD XRs, and the Ameriglo Pro I-Dots, how do the I-Dots compare to the HDs and XRs in terms of "light bars"...how the front sight sits in the rear notch? I wager the XR's will have the most, but where do the I-Dots fall on the continuum?

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I-dot Pros have become my go-to for Glocks. I prefer the dot-over-dot straight-8 sight pic, and the bright orange ring around the front tritium is a deal-maker for my eyes. For my P229 CC TALO which I've been shooting a lot lately, an I-dot makeover would make that sweet shooter all that much better, especially if I can rid myself of that damn 'combat' sight picture at the same time.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I prefer the standard Trijicon HDs, ( I've already installed three sets with two more soon to follow, ) as the slightly wider front sight catches my lousy eyes more easily.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this is a personal issue, but I have (despite several tries at others) continued to prefer the Trijicon HD's.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10970 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
Trijicon HD XRs. I like the U-notch.

This.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I really like Truglo’s TFX Pro sights. Not as bright as others in the dark, although plenty bright, but great outdoors.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
For those who have the Trijicon HDs, HD XRs, and the Ameriglo Pro I-Dots, how do the I-Dots compare to the HDs and XRs in terms of "light bars"...how the front sight sits in the rear notch? I wager the XR's will have the most, but where do the I-Dots fall on the continuum?

I have both I-dot and HD XRs. The light bars are very similar in size.

I actually notice more light with the i-dots as the rear sights are very wide, Eventhough I believe that the HD XRs have more light, I think it's possibly due to the fact that the HD's rear sight is a U, so you see less straight wall light as it curves toward the bottom.

One way to know for sure is to get measurements of both rear sight widths, and subtract the front sight widths and divide by 2.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a Glock, and have Trijicon HD's with an orange front on all my Glocks. I have them on a few Sigs. I also have the Sig X-ray sight on some of the Sigs, which isn't a bad sight (prefer the round rear notch).

One of the things I like about the HD sight is the very minimal presentation on the rear sight; it's nearly blacked out. No extra white outlines or large circles to confuse the sight picture; it's strictly a frame for the front sight, which jumps out against any background. They make a great transition sight in lower light, and the orange stays visible until nearly dark.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
For those who have the Trijicon HDs, HD XRs, and the Ameriglo Pro I-Dots, how do the I-Dots compare to the HDs and XRs in terms of "light bars"...how the front sight sits in the rear notch?

I don't have any I-dots to give you a comparison pic, but here are HD-XR's. I did not black out the rear dots. They come that way.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those of you using I Dots, what size? Looks like they only have 8s for Sigs.