SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Paging all p290rs owners
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paging all p290rs owners Login/Join 
Picture of captainbarred
posted
Hey all, just bought a p290rs, but have about a 2. Week wait till it gets added to my permit.

I was gunna order some mags and saw promag makes some cheap ones...

Anyone know if they work?

I know my 229 and 226 hated them so I sold em. But my 220 ran fine with them...

Sinice the 290 is single stack maybe they'll work?

Anyone try em yet? At $10 difference per mag it's tempting but not worth a jam in a carry gun if they are questionable reliability....

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 132 | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, I have no experience with the pro mags... That being said, promag may be who makes the mags for the P290

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

Posts: 777 | Location: NC | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
The general consensus is Promag = utter shit.

The rare exceptions were 220 and 225 mags if you swapped springs.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For 10 bucks difference on a gun that you won't have a ridiculous number of mags (probably) I think you be batshit crazy to buy promags. Respectfully.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stay far away from Promag.....terrible stuff

Posts: 102 | Registered: June 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Promag blows donkey dicks. Get real or get none.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
promag makes some cheap ones

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of captainbarred
posted Hide Post
Lol! Thanks fellas! Sometimes I wanna go cheap and need a kick in the ass to stay on the straight and narrow.

Sig brand it is!

Posts: 132 | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captainbarred:
Lol! Thanks fellas! Sometimes I wanna go cheap and need a kick in the ass to stay on the straight and narrow.

Sig brand it is!

Good choice. It amazes me how people are willing to spend several hundred dollars on a gun and then look for cheap mags to save a few bucks. I used to do it myself but now I spend the extra cash on the real thing.

Posts: 16 | Registered: April 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And we will need a range report. After you buy real magazines!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I had one Pro-Mag. One was enough. It didn't work. This isn't to say you might not get a good one, but the odds are too low to suit me, let alone for actually carrying to defend myself. One aftermarket magazine brand I do trust is Mec-Gar, who actually make the OEM mags for a number of guns. (They do not make one for the P290.)

There is a school of thought that holds that aftermarket magazines, even if they cause stoppages, are OK for the range/practice while reducing wear and tear on the OEM magazines. I don't buy it. Every stoppage your gun has, regardless of cause, decreases your confidence in it.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
......There is a school of thought that holds that aftermarket magazines, even if they cause stoppages, are OK for the range/practice while reducing wear and tear on the OEM magazines. I don't buy it. Every stoppage your gun has, regardless of cause, decreases your confidence in it.

Agree. In addition, the shooter is training himself to accept malfunctions in the pistol. "OK, it's just a bad magazine." A very bad practice in a defensive handgun. The malfunction could be caused by something other than the defective mag. But it gets attributed to the mag anyway.

In our SD courses we tell students to either junk or throw bad mags in the parts bin.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Usually it's Mecgar making Sig mags. Not sure if they make the 290 mags but stick with Sig brand or Mecgar brand.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Photoman
posted Hide Post
I haven't had good results with Pro-Mag.

+++

Posts: 1561 | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post