SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Browning BDM Practical, yay or nay ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BDM Practical, yay or nay ? Login/Join 
posted
Come across this interesting pistol.

Has a selector on the slide to switch between DAO and DA/SA.
Frame mounted dual action safety/decocker.

Feels good, points naturally, nice sights...
...comes with box, papers, 2 neutered 10 rnd mags.
Have no idea what this thing is worth, as I've never saw one before.

Only thing I know about Browning is their Buckmark.

BDM... good to go or stay away?
If GTG, how's mag availability?

Looks just like the one at the top of this page.
https://modernfirearms.net/en/...fn-browning-bdm-eng/

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I have one and it has the thinnest grip of any wonder nine I know of.

It must have come out during the start of the Clinton weapons ban because 15 round mags are the hardest to find of any handgun. I have two and I bet they are worth more than the handgun.

The ten round mags can be had and I think Promag made some of the 15 rounders, but Promag.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Absolutly the thinnest 15 round 9MM . . . . probably of all time

I probably turned that selector once or twice for buddies that wanted to check out the DAO, but I dislike DAO triggers so I have never fired it like that.

I think that Mec-Gar has discontinued the 15 round magazines, but there are some of the bigger dealers that still have them in inventory

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yeah, came out about the AWB era. Extremely thin grip that was actually unnatural to my hand. The "double mode" is a complicated feature that solved nothing really. It's like the proverbial solution searching for a problem. Don't miss it one bit.

If you want it for collection purpose, ok, but if you intend to shoot the snot out of it and expect to easily find spare parts on the market, forget about it.

Q

Posts: 26338 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember when these came out years ago and saw one at the gun show. It felt good in the hand and very comfortable.

Posts: 6871 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I had one in the mid 90s and actually liked the gun, but like most of the 9mms of that time that I owned, I only kept it a short time, trading it to buy something else. I don't remember ever using it in any mode other than traditional DA/SA mode, though I'm sure I played with the selector to try it out. As far as I can remember, it was accurate and reliable. It's a little heavy since its all steel.

For an obscure pistol, parts are still available. MGW seems to have just about every part in stock.
https://www.midwestgunworks.co...wning-bdm/parts.html

Triple K still makes and sells 15 rd magazines and they are presently available on their site.
https://www.triplek.com/produc...-9mm-15-rd-magazine/

If you like it, buy it. It's a good gun.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
If you want it for collection purpose, ok, but if you intend to shoot the snot out of it and expect to easily find spare parts on the market, forget about it.

Yes!

They are neat to have from a historical perspective from when FN was reaching at straws trying to find something the military and law enforcement communities could embrace. The SFS, BDM, and Hi Power DA were all attempts to get a “wonder nine” into mass markets. Kinda shows you where FN’s head was at, and it wasn’t always good, but it also shows FN’s evolution to their polymer lines (especially when you start digging in and looking at their fire control groups and other small parts).

BDM triggers are hit or miss, mine is ok, on par with factory P226 and M9 triggers of the era, but pretty bad compared with newer enhanced triggers (clunky DA pull and heavy/long ledge on SA). Fun to shoot, nice ergos for an era gone by.

I do like the look of the Practicals, and don’t see many. I’d be tempted at a good price.

A Deseret News article on the designer:
https://www.deseret.com/platfo...w-works-for-browning

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ruber,

Posts: 25 | Registered: February 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Therein lies part of the explanation for the BDM being what it was: Browning was trying desperately to play catch-up at a time when the SIG P226, the Beretta 92 series and the Glock were all well-established and had been fairly well beta-tested. The DAO option was, IIRC, part of a bid for sales to police departments. The confusing thing about that was "what's to stop a cop from carrying it on DA/SA and then turning the switch and claiming in court that it was on DAO the entire time?"

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you just love the history I would pass. Not interesting enough to deal with its shortcomings.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Unless you just love the history I would pass. Not interesting enough to deal with its shortcomings.
Which shortcomings are you referring to?

It would be good to know what to watch out for

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shortcomings being it wasn’t a great gun to start with. There are significantly better choices. It’s been out of production forever. Not a bunch of spare parts, support, magazines, etc.

Hey, if you like it buy it. He asked yay or nay. I’m a hard nay. I don’t even find it interesting.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool story about the designer though! While living in Germany during the 80s, I knew some Czechs who left through Yugoslavia via Hungary exactly the same way.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thumb-safety works the opposite of the way that the good Lord, and JMB, intended. AWKWARD

Posts: 379 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Practical for what? Does it compete with the current high speed low drag, MRD having, tactical light festooned striker fired pistol?? No, of course not.

Will it reliably shoot a 9mm projectile, feel good in the hand, have some interesting history and be both fun and perfectly adequate for self defense, yup.

I always ask folks if they are looking for strictly a weapon or are they or do they want to be a hobbiest first. So if you are looking for a weapon purely for self defense or repelling boarders there are far better choices. If you want something a little odd, kinda cool yet perfectly adequate then go for it, it will be a blast at the range and make for a good story.

But since the ATF code 32 subsection A requires me to say this......Get a Glock 19 instead. Smile.

Take care, shoot safe,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Well said cslinger.

I well balanced , healthy diet is good but a slice of cake or a meat overload once in awhile adds zest to life!

My gun collection contains many out dated firearms but I like it anyway.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post