SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    A 1911 for $75K
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A 1911 for $75K Login/Join 
posted
Don't know if anyone saw this auction which ended yesterday. Just incredible what some of these older firearms will fetch!

http://classic.gunauction.com/...cfm?itemnum=14428710

Posts: 465 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
And who says that an idiot scratch will make them a 1911 hard to sell.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
Very cool. "Fire Blue" controls are very appealing. I wonder what it would cost to send a fairly generic Colt series 70 1911A1 to Turnbull to have the small parts done in "fire blue". I'm sure it wouldn't cost $75K.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Wahoo they take Visa. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're going to spend $75k for a gun, at least it's a hundred year old classic in great shape as opposed to something that has slide cuts and was blinged out.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Wahoo they take Visa. Smile

But they charge 3% extra for credit cards. That 3% would have more than paid for my Les Baer Stinger Monolith!

Posts: 121 | Location: Ohio | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
3% won't matter to me. I don't have a 75k limit......well that and the inevitable murder at the hands of my wife. Either or won't matter to me. Smile

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
On a serious note I TOTALLY get the collector aspect of this but it wouldn't float my boat per say if I had the coin. At the end of the day it's a 1911. A very desirable, cool 1911 but basically an ubiquitous 1911. The fire bluing is awesome though.

If I am dropping that kind of coin I want one of the .45 Lugers from the trials or something really odd like a Bergmann or one of the almost ran early semi autos. I like the borchardts too. I dig the old steampunk clean slate of paper engineering.

Part of me wonders if there would be a market for "art" guns so to speak. Not weapons for the sake of weapons. I mean if you need a gun/weapon/tool go buy a Glock 19 and be happy and confident you have a superior "weapon/tool". But I wonder if there would be a market for some old school "toys" or "kinetic artwork" if you will. I really dug the Remington R51 because of this.......until it was revealed to be a steaming turd of course.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
......and I just distinctly heard some of you mutter "get a rope". Dammit I'm armed and don't judge me. Razz

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I had to drop out of the bidding when my credit card hit its limit of $74,999... Roll Eyes

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Thought it was gonna be a Singer from the title.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Fit and finish" is horrible (checkout the tooling marks inside the slide), this wouldn't even make a good base for a custom. Pass... Big Grin

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
$75k and they charge the buyer $50.00 for shipping? I'd pass! Roll Eyes

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I'll take two. One for each hand.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well my take is thank God these are available to anyone with the coin. I dont have it but in a free market YOU might. One thing about fire arms is they ARE history. An

Posts: 384 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post