SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Converting 9 MM 220 to 38 Super
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting 9 MM 220 to 38 Super Login/Join 
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted
I have a European mag release 220 in 9 MM. Can I convert it to 38 Super? If so what do I need. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Yes. All you will need is an appropriate Super 38 barrel and a magazine(s). In fact, if I'm not mistaken your 9mm mags will "work" - if not ideally.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
A .38 barrel should drop in just fine. If you can't find one, a chamber reamer could be used, but I haven't had any experience doing this and can't recommend it.

The .38 Super cartridge is longer than the 9mm, so your magazine may need to be swapped out to a .38. If you have the U shaped spacer pressed into the rear of the magazine (should have four indentions on each side), they will not fit. Some of the .38s were converted to 9mm by the factory and the spacer may not be there. Some would suggest pulling the spacer out, but if time constraints allow, I'd recommend getting a .38 specific magazine as the rim of the cartridge may not pass through the indentions that were holding the spacer.

I don't have any specifics for the recoil spring. There may be a manufacturer that lists a .38 specific spring and have one in stock. If not, buy a range of springs and start with the heaviest and run down to the strongest one that will cycle properly. I had to do this when I wanted to shoot .38 Super from my Glock 21.

One thing you may also be able to do is if you can find someone who has a .38 and wants to convert it to a 9mm, swap parts with them.

Let us know how it turns out.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Current production P220 & P226 9mm recoil springs (orange) are rated at 16 lbs. In contrast, the current .45 auto recoil spring (green) is rated at 20 lbs. Oddly, the original single strand P220 Super .38 spring was rated at only 14 lbs. I've always suspected early 9mm and Super .38 P220's shared the same spring though I cant say for certain. I would follow .38supersig's advice and obtain several in various weights and use the heaviest spring which functions properly in your pistol. Depending upon the vintage of your pistol, you may have no choice but to order single stand springs from Wolff since the modern braided design doesn't work in the earliest pistols.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Member P-220 said it first, but man I wish Sig would come out with a P220 Carry Elite Stainless in 38 Super (w/o a rail, of course)!

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on the springs-most helpful.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
In fact, if I'm not mistaken your 9mm mags will "work" - if not ideally.

Mine didn't, were too short. Too short front to back I mean.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stiab,

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1858 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
You may also need the 38 Super slide Catch/Ejector. I did in order to get reliable ejection. But the 38 Super version also works fine with 9mm, so a caliber change is just the barrel swap. And the 9mm rounds feed fine from my 38 Super mags.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 955 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
In fact, if I'm not mistaken your 9mm mags will "work" - if not ideally.

Mine didn't, were too short. Too short front to back I mean.

Yes, the 9mm magazines have a spacer at the rear.

We can use 38 Super magazines for 9mm but we cannot use 9mm magazines for 38 Super.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gary1911A1
posted Hide Post
The extractor might work, but you might need to shorten the ejector to allow unfired ammo to eject.

Posts: 527 | Location: Southern Ohio for now. | Registered: December 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post