SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Refinishing questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refinishing questions Login/Join 
posted
I am looking at sending a few of my well worn pistols to have them refinished. I am concerned about how the refinishing holds up. I am weighing the various finishes such as Cerakote, Ceraplate, Gunkote etc. I am particularly interested in finishes that look like stainless.

Mine aren't safe queens so I was hoping that some of you that have refinished pistols that are shot frequently will post some pics showing the wear. Please post what finish you used also and your opinion of it.
thanks

Posts: 88 | Registered: January 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not have one but people who have used NP3 love the finish. It is expensive but after you shoot hundreds of rounds through the gun you simply need to wipe it down to clean it.

The armorer at my range have seen multiple guns with this finish and he raves about it.

https://robarguns.com/custom-firearm-finishes/np3/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I have several NP3 finished guns and they are remarkably slick. Only issue I had was a 1911 where the rear sight wouldn't stay in place because it was so slick. A little dovetail adjustment and things have been fine. The finish has held up great and looks great. Having the small part done in NP3 also is a plus.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Only 3 finishes/treatments I know of that reduce wear to a minimum

1. Hard Chrome
2. Ion Bond DLC -Black or any of the colors-
Silver-Bronze-FDE
3. Robar NP3

Any of the spray on finishes will eventually show wear.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Refinishing is not something I am a fan of at all. Then again I like the looks of a worn working gun, but hear me out:
1) refinishing costs money-
2) if done to a collectible gun absolutely reduces value, so you paid to decrease the value
3) in working guns I'd does not add value, so you paid to leave value the same
4) with working guns it can become a vicious cycle wear gun refinish use gun wear gun refinish. As long as a gun works and is not having rust issues due to the finish loss just keep trucking

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I have P-220's with NP3 and Cera-Plate II. Both have held up very well.

I have over 10K rounds through the NP3 and it still looks like the day it came back from Robar.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Refinishing is not something I am a fan of at all. Then again I like the looks of a worn working gun, but hear me out:

1) refinishing costs money- Umm, everyone knows this.

2) if done to a collectible gun absolutely reduces value, so you paid to decrease the value Most guns are not collectible. Many folks like a "new", or different, look on their guns. Hence, the refinishing. I don't think anyone refinish their guns solely for the purpose of making money out of them.

3) in working guns I'd does not add value, so you paid to leave value the same See above.

4) with working guns it can become a vicious cycle wear gun refinish use gun wear gun refinish. Nothing wrong with that.
As long as a gun works and is not having rust issues due to the finish loss just keep trucking I don't disagree with you. I have both nasty original guns and refinished guns, and I like them both.

Cool

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

1. Hard Chrome
Silver-Bronze-FDE
3. Robar NP3

I would add W. E. Birdsong's Black-T to this list.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

1. Hard Chrome
Silver-Bronze-FDE
3. Robar NP3

I would add W. E. Birdsong's Black-T to this list.

Bruce

CCR CPII, also.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of the pistols that I want refinished are police trade-in Berettas that have extensive holster wear. Nothing exotic or rare.

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:

1) refinishing costs money- Umm, everyone knows this.

2) if done to a collectible gun absolutely reduces value, so you paid to decrease the value Most guns are not collectible. Many folks like a "new", or different, look on their guns. Hence, the refinishing. I don't think anyone refinish their guns solely for the purpose of making money out of them.

3) in working guns I'd does not add value, so you paid to leave value the same See above.

4) with working guns it can become a vicious cycle wear gun refinish use gun wear gun refinish. Nothing wrong with that.
As long as a gun works and is not having rust issues due to the finish loss just keep trucking I don't disagree with you. I have both nasty original guns and refinished guns, and I like them both.

Cool

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
To the OP-- I don't have any Hard Chrome or Nickel guns, only one Stainless revolver.

But since you asked for examples, I will show my recently most favorite finish/treatment, Ion Bond DLC. This was done Matte on my Walther PPS.

It resembles Black Manganese Parkerization, or the old Glock Tennifer treatment. My PPS slide had the Tennifer treatment, but all the surface finish had worn off, so I had it treated with Ion Bond.

The subject of finishes is brought up a lot in Sig Forum, everyone has their favorites and everyone has their viewpoints on to refinish or not.

I only own one or two blued guns, the rest have been treated/refinished with a more wear/corrosion finish.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
This former P6 of mine (now belongs to another SF member) had the slide done in CPII. In trying to see how it stands up to wear, I did an accelerated wear "study". The first 2 pics are the gun fresh, never holstered. The 3rd pic shows the gun after almost 1100 in & out of a Ryan Grizzle holster.
If there was any wear at all, I didn't see it.

Q

posted Hide Post
that looks along the lines of what I am looking for.
quote:
This former P6 of mine (now belongs to another SF member) had the slide done in CPII. In trying to see how it stands up to wear, I did an accelerated wear "study". The first 2 pics are the gun fresh, never holstered. The 3rd pic shows the gun after almost 1100 in & out of a Ryan Grizzle holster.
If there was any wear at all, I didn't see it.

Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth: I've had four guns refinished in CCR's CP11 over the past few years. My experience is identical to that of Mr. 12131.
Highly recommended and also a value for the price paid.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll add my support to the CP-II camp. I have it on a couple of pistols and if they have wear it is beyond my abilities to discern.

Posts: 117 | Registered: February 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like that CPII finish for the slides, but can it be used on alloy or lightweight frames such as that P6 or a Beretta 92? If not, what finish will match?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1Silverfox:
I like that CPII finish for the slides, but can it be used on alloy or lightweight frames such as that P6 or a Beretta 92? If not, what finish will match?

No, CCR will not plate alloy frames. If you go with CCR, then try their Ni-kote on the alloy frame to match the CPII as much as possible.
From CCR's website:
quote:
Ni-kote is a Nickel based alternative finish to tank based Nickel plating. We at CCR have designed Ni-kote for use on Anodized Alloy frames ONLY to be as close of a match to our CPII Nickel/Boron Nitride plating process as possible without having to compromise the factory Anodization. Ni-kote is also a self lubricating finish that offers three forms of lubrication and durability without damage to the alloy frame.

Q

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Here is another former P225 of mine, bought from a SF member who had CCR plate the slide in original CP and refinish the frame in Ni-kote. Beautiful, I'd say. Cool
Note it's a little yellow due to lighting, but the slide and frame match perfectly.

Q

posted Hide Post
sweet

quote:
Here is another former P225 of mine, bought from a SF member who had CCR plate the slide in original CP and refinish the frame in Ni-kote. Beautiful, I'd say. Cool
Note it's a little yellow due to lighting, but the slide and frame match perfectly.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The way I look at it is that it's your guns to do with as you please. If refinishing extends the life (and attraction) of the gun for you, by all means do what it takes. Personally I like wear marks; it's honest and it gives the gun character. But there are plenty who feel otherwise, and I can respect that even if it's generally not for me.

The spray-on, baked 'paint' finishes like Cerakote have been getting a lot of ridicule lately, but with my so-coated guns and parts I've found that it's fairly durable, and I'm one who's not particular 'polite' with my firearms. It's no end-all when it comes to abating wear but it nonetheless holds up pretty well. Honestly, ANY finish can be damaged if beat on and harshly treated enough. You can certainly have some fun with colors with these polymer-ceramic coatings; tastefully done I don't see how it can really hurt the value of a relatively modern gun that has an already well-worn finish.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post