SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P 365 sensitive to "Limp Wrist"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P 365 sensitive to "Limp Wrist" Login/Join 
posted
Got about 100 rounds through my P365 (was manufactured at the end of March).

Gun seems fine, no weird internal wear noticed. Only saw a little "primer drag" last range outing.

After cleaning thoroughly, went back to the range today. Been shooting generic 115 grn ball ammo and at times Federal 147 grn HP, non-plus P (My old LEA uses it and I want to make sure my P365 functions OK with it, P9HST2/147 grain HST).

Today, I noticed that once and a while, when using the Federal ammo, the slide failed to lock back when empty. However, I was trying to simply catch the ejected brass and was not paying attention to my grip on the gun. When I made sure I was not "limp wristing" the gun, it functioned just fine. (Also, during my three prior range sessions with this gun, it never failed to lock back with any ammo.)

Tried limp wristing with the 115 grain ammo however, and it locked back just fine. Also, with the gun real clean, I did not notice any primer drag today.

Just thought I would share this info.

Posts: 417 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
the slide failed to lock back when empty. However, I was trying to simply catch the ejected brass and was not paying attention to my grip

Are you sure your thumb wasn't on the slide release?

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
quote:
the slide failed to lock back when empty. However, I was trying to simply catch the ejected brass and was not paying attention to my grip

Are you sure your thumb wasn't on the slide release?

At first I thought that was the problem. I then tried it three or four times, intentionally limp wristing it with the 115 grain and the Federal ammo. It definitely was the limp wristing with the heavier (147 grain) ammo.

Posts: 417 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldn't cause it to do that with mine; it functioned no matter what.

Your description sounds very much like interference with the slide release.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although it's not impossible, it's much more likely that your are inadvertently riding the slide catch. Limp wristing failures are typically failures to eject, where the slide starts returning to battery before the case is clear. The reason why failure to lock back from limp wristing is unlikely is most slides lock back just behind the next round in the magazine. I don't have a P365, but look how close the slide is to the next round in the P320:

So for limp wristing to be the cause of a failure to lock back instead of a failure to eject or failure to feed, the slide has to travel back far enough to bring the spent case back against the ejector, far enough to get behind the next round in the mag, but stop in that 1/8" (maybe?) space between feeding and locking back. Again, that's possible but unlikely. Even more unlikely that it happens several times. Now if you were getting FTEs and FTFs along with lock back issues, I'd give the theory more credence. But what makes much more sense is you were not aware you were riding the catch lever.

Now the real question is, why are you trying to catch your fired brass as it ejects and how are you doing that safely?

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:

....Now the real question is, why are you trying to catch your fired brass as it ejects and how are you doing that safely?

I meant to say I was trying to see where the fired brass was landing not actually trying to "catch" the brass. I wanted to make sure I could id my brass at the range so I could check for primer drag.

Your theory is interesting however, when I intentionally held the gun with a firm grip, I had no trouble. Also, when I shot the lighter round (115 grain instead of the duty 147 grain ammo) it would lock back even though I intentionally limp wristed it. When I intentionally limp wristed the 147 grain ammo, it would fail to lock back.

With the controlled shots, mentioned above, I was very careful not to let my thumb interfere with the slide lock lever.

Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
If your thumbs are making contact with the slide during firing, that can prevent the slide from locking back, also. It happened to a friend who was test firing my P365.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watching you brass is a really bad habit to get into. Keep an eye on the gun to make sure you do not aim at something that is a no shoot (person, concrete support) or on the threat (if self defense). Little things you do in practice can creep back into real use at inopportune times

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
LIFE IS SHORT - Just buy the gun...
Life Member - Texas State Rifle Association
Benefactor Life Member - NRA

Posts: 185 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: April 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Try marking your brass in the future. A sharpie works perfectly for this. Trying to follow the brass and distinguish it from others is PITA and potentially unsafe. The Sharpie markings will not in any way effect the operation of the pistol.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Off hand I would think a shorter smaller gun would indeed have the potential to be move sensitive to limp wristing which would be exacerbated with some ammo.

Some commercial 9mm I've shot is definitely loaded lighter than other commercial ammo. I believe I've had trouble with Magtech in the past.

I'm not that familiar with the P365, but if there is also some sort of recoil reduction system, that too would affect it.

My X-5 Tactical just would not run well with Magtech at all. I generally didn't have any trouble with other commercial 9mm. I don't recall having any issues with Federal.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post