SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How is the HK P2000 compared to Glock 19?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is the HK P2000 compared to Glock 19? Login/Join 
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
Yep.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input, I passed on the trade. That doesn’t mean I won’t pick up an HK. This wasn’t And either/or decision, I have no intention of dumping my glocks. It was just considering adding another platform. Trading the Ruger would have left me with The reloading dies, ammo, brass, bullets and holster I already have for it. When I really thought about it, it didn’t make much sense because I would either have to unload all of that or buy another gun for it.

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned a Glock 19 Gen4 and an HK P2000 V3 9mm at the same time. I loved the simplicity of the Glock 19, and its ease of conceability. Unfortunately even after 500 rounds and all sorts of tweaks with backstraps, holds, etc I still was NOT shooting it great.

With the P2000, if I do my part, I can blow the center out of most targets out to 10 yards. The size is quite similar to the Glock 19, but I feel the HK is likely the better weapon overall IMO. I ultimately sold the Glock.

I would make the trade for the P2000.

JUST saw your change of heart on the trade. Keep in mind you can commonly find the P2000 in as new condition for like $450. A real bargain!

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2risky
posted Hide Post
Well, I've only owned one Glock, a G19. And it wasn't the AK, of which I've owned several, of handguns. Mine was just the opposite so I sold it. I have never had an AK fail to go bang.

Posts: 658 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also recently went through the G-19 / G-23 vs P2000 in 9mm and 40/357 Sig for CCW. Hands down the P2000. Weight, size and capacity, almost identical, but I preferred the P2000's over the Glocks. My only complaint with the P2000 is I would like a little more aggressive grip, which is easily remedied......With that said, I am keeping my G-19 and G-23, but the P2000 stays on my hip.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like HK's and have a few, including a P2000SK that I carried in an ankle holster a lot (actually got married the last time with it on my ankle). I shot it quite a bit, and until the magazine springs failed, really loved it. It had the LEM trigger (still does, but hasn't been out of the safe for a long time), which I really like.

The last HK I carried regularly was the HK45C; I have it in a double-action/single action version and in LEM, which I prefer. HK pistols are good pistols, terrible double action triggers (heavy, gritty), but still quite serviceable. To call any of the HK's ultra reliable would be an understatement. They're very ergonomic, and brand snobbery aside, they're a professional piece of equipment that was never designed for fun or sport. They're working pistols. They're also fun and can certainly be used for sport, but they're meant to be carried to a fight.

Glocks are no less, though are promoted for sport, too, for whatever it's worth. People tend to either love glocks or hate them, and they're not quite so ergonomic, nor as cool a brand...but a lot more customizeable, and there are a lot more options in models, types, and parts than HK. They're also less expensive, for the most part, easier to work on, etc.

You wouldn't really go wrong with either the P2000 or the G19. My personal choice, if I had to pick one or the other, would be the Glock. I have a shelf of G19's, partially because I like the design and partially because one of my handicaps is the inability to walk away from a bargain when it comes up. I don't have a shelf of HKP2000's partially because I don't run across them a dime a dozen, and partially because I'm the G19's have inexpensive ultra-reliable magazines, the P2000's don't, and I'm very confident that while ugly, the G19's will still be getting warmed up no matter how high the round count. The G19's are more like hammers; nothing fancy about them, but they work exceptionally well.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Last night I put a P2000 on layaway with Whittakers since I couldn’t find one locally. I’m getting the V2, 3 mags and night sights. I plan on keeping my G19, I wasn’t trading it, I was trading my Ruger Blackhawk. With the Glock I have too much invested with holsters, sights etc. and it’s great. With all the replies here and everything else I’ve looked at, you don’t see much, if any, negative about them. The debate between V2 and V3 was about it. I have a feeling this layaway will be short-lived.

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a P-30SK-S, and enjoy the ergonomics, ambi-safety, decocker and 15 round mags if needed.
Built like a tank and 100% reliable, Would not hesitate to recommend H&K....BUT it is a specific tool for a specific job, and the double stack mag makes it a little chunky.
Add in a 15 round, fully loaded mag and it is a little weighty. But it shoots great and has a bunch of nice safety features...and looks like a very good life-long tool to have available if needed.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Steve McQueen of SIGforum
Picture of mosquito
posted Hide Post
I realize that you already decided to pass, but for what it's worth, the P2000 is a great pistol. I like it so much that I own 2 standards in V3 9mm, and 1 SK compact model V3 9mm.

For me, the selling points are:

incredibly comfortable ergonomics
low bore axis (low muzzle rise)
durability / reliability
accuracy
size / weight / capacity
ambidextrous operation out of the box

The biggest downside is that there aren't as many holsters on the market as there are for some of the more popular options.

www.seventactical.com

Posts: 4711 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: December 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing I didn't like about the P2000, is that it is not made for those with big mitts. The first time I shot mine I noticed the webbing of my hand was bleeding after a few rounds. The hammer would pinch my skin,kind of like Glock slide bite. It killed me because I really liked that pistol.

Posts: 6874 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mosquito:
I realize that you already decided to pass, but for what it's worth, the P2000 is a great pistol. I like it so much that I own 2 standards in V3 9mm, and 1 SK compact model V3 9mm.

For me, the selling points are:

incredibly comfortable ergonomics
low bore axis (low muzzle rise)
durability / reliability
accuracy
size / weight / capacity
ambidextrous operation out of the box

The biggest downside is that there aren't as many holsters on the market as there are for some of the more popular options.

Passed on the trade but not passing on buying one, I’ve already got one on layaway online with Whittakers. I debated on DA/SA but ended up with the LEM. Now I’m already looking at holsters, will probably end up ordering a TT gun leather or Milt Sparks Criterion

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
This shit isn't rocket science.

Like striker fired? G19.

Like DA/SA or LEM? P2000.

HK is an HK. Overbuilt, reliable, accurate. Hard to completely tear down because, well, Germans make things complicated. Limited aftermarket stuff, but with Light LEM I don't think it's required.

G19 is the AK of handguns. Cheaper, simpler, and an aftermarket so robust you can build a G19 without any parts from Glock. Mags hold 1-3 more rounds on average than a comparable HK.

In the end, if you feed them ammo, line up the sights, and don't flinch like a little girl, they will put ammo on the target of your choice - assuming you train to do that.

Pick one, shoot it, get good. Wash rinse repeat.

Or stay on the carousel of handguns every day, week, or month.

Well put!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pick one, shoot it, get good. Wash rinse repeat.

That’s just crazy talk. We all know it’s the arrow and not the Indian.

Seriously though for others reading. It really comes down to striker vs hammer. Everything else from reliability to durability to capacity etc. is within the margin of error.

The biggest selling point of the Glock is it’s not going anywhere for a LONG time and parts and accessories are basically available at your local Pep Boys.

Conversely the P2000 is a hammered fired anachronism in a striker world and probably is not long for this production world.

I still prefer the P2000 but if you handed me either and said here is your handgun for life I would be perfectly happy as with my shooting habits and my penchant for owning lots of mags I doubt I could wear out either one and both inspire confidence.

But it’s all about the arrow so........ Wink

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am perfectly okay with both. My go to since they were released has been a Gen5 Glock 19. No issues, comfortable to shoot, no complaints.

But then I rolled through a gun show this weekend and found a deal I couldn't pass up:

I just picked up a P2000 V3 factory chambered in .357SIG, plus an extra .40 barrel w/ box w/ 3 mags for $475 out the door. Practically mint condition, circa 2006 or so. I'd say the price was about as competitive as it gets.

I look forward to shooting this platform with the .357SIG round to see how it handles. I've shot the Glock 31 and it's been a so-so type of love affair.

Posts: 489 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Out of all of the HK's I have owned the P2000 is the only one I have kept. It fits me better than the P30 which I sold. Although similar in size to the G19 it is a completely different animal IMO. Mine is a V3 9mm and I love it.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'll tell you another thing I look(ed) at when I consider(ed) different handguns.

Magazine availability and price.

Because for me to buy a handgun I'm going to shoot a lot and plan to keep in service for a long time, I'm going to buy A LOT of magazines.

6 is my minimum for something to play around with, or a decent number for a pocket gun. For my G19s its 30+ per gun.

SIG, HK, and S&W mags are $25 on the low end, but more typically $30+, to $45 on the high end.

These days its easy to find Glock 17/19 OEM for $18. Compared to 9MM HKs $35, P320 $36, and M&P9 $30 mags are basically half price, especially if you use some Magpul or ETS aftermarker for range use which can be had for $10-15each.

Not a big deal if you are a 4-6 mag person.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I'll tell you another thing I look(ed) at when I consider(ed) different handguns.

Magazine availability and price.

Because for me to buy a handgun I'm going to shoot a lot and plan to keep in service for a long time, I'm going to buy A LOT of magazines.

6 is my minimum for something to play around with, or a decent number for a pocket gun. For my G19s its 30+ per gun.

SIG, HK, and S&W mags are $25 on the low end, but more typically $30+, to $45 on the high end.

These days its easy to find Glock 17/19 OEM for $18. Compared to 9MM HKs $35, P320 $36, and M&P9 $30 mags are basically half price, especially if you use some Magpul or ETS aftermarker for range use which can be had for $10-15each.

Not a big deal if you are a 4-6 mag person.

I agree about magazine availability. And GLOCK or Magpul magazines and their prices are hard to beat. That being said, if you buy a few magazines here and there you can get a decent supply over time. But, I get your point about cost and availabilty regarding GLOCK mags.

Posts: 12461 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Agreed and I'm an HK45C, P2000SK owner and formerly had a P30 and P30L. I have 10ea for the two I still own and had 30 for my P30 and P30L (I didn't own the P30L very long).

I was fortunate enough to find 10 of those P30 mags lightly used for $21/ea and the rest came with the guns or back when it was $31/ea new, not the $35-40 they go for now.

Just part of the overall equation for me as I think of the overall system of handguns I own.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a G19 gen4 and a G19gen5 they are nice but to make them so, I have severely doctored them-up; the gen 4 More so.
I also own the HK p2k v3 .40 and really like the way it handles. And, surprise, I also use it in 9mm. With just a barrel change and a recoils spring designated for the 9mm it works just like the p2k designated 9mm.
Between the G19 and the hkP2k, I pick the P2k.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post