SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shipping time requirements for handguns - FFLs, please step inside
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping time requirements for handguns - FFLs, please step inside Login/Join 
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted
I recently ordered a pistol from AIM Surplus. After they shipped it the package took seven days to arrive to my FFL via USPS. Is there a minimum FFL-to-FFL shipment time required by federal law? I've searched online but couldn't find any requirements.

I'm not upset at AIM, in fact they've always been great. I've just never had a firearm take seven calendar days to get from Ohio to Texas. Thanks in advance.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Individuals have to ship handguns overnight/next day, using a common carrier like UPS or FedEx.

FFLs can use the Postal Service, and there's no restrictions on the speed of service used.

Also keep on mind that this is the busiest shipping time of the year, so USPS shipments will take a bit longer than usual.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Not FFL, but there is no minimum time requirements by federal law. The only requirements are from FedEx and UPS, per their policies. And, it's overnight. Again, it's company policies, not federal law.

I suspect the delay has to with the holiday season. Everybody is shipping something, and the system sometimes get overloaded. Sometimes, it could be weather related, too. Or, sometimes, they simply dropped the ball.

I recently shipped a pistol overnight via FedEx. It arrived 3 days late. Since it was a guarantee service, I asked for my shipping fee back. They tried to give me the weather excuse, but there was no weather related incidence. In the end, I got my money back.

Q

Posts: 26374 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
When a seller says something "shipped", it doesn't necessarily mean that it is on the way. Shipping lable generated, waiting for pickup, etc.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, AimSurplus is great but they aren't the fastest shippers in the world.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
I knew about the next day requirement for individuals since I just sent off my PPS, but thought there might be separate requirements for FFLs as well. I guess I've just been lucky with AIM Surplus in the past.

Thanks for all the replies, gents.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
ATF says that a non-FFL individual has to ship by carrier like United Parcel, FedEx, etc. ATF does not require you to use any specific class of service with these carriers.

However, UPS and FedEx have company policies that specify overnight service. This is company policy, not ATF regulation.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Any time I sell a handgun it's definitely worth my time to have my FFL run it through his bound book so it can be mailed rather than shipped. USPS Regional Flat Rate is the cheapest option by far.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Also keep on mind that this is the busiest shipping time of the year, so USPS shipments will take a bit longer than usual.

We used to get our first class mail distributed by 11AM. Now we're lucky to have it mid afternoon. Yesterday morning the back shelves of our little local post office looked like an Amazon warehouse. One clerk and a slow moving postmaster simply can't keep up.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post