SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Returned P320
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Returned P320 Login/Join 
posted
Just received my upgraded P320. Everything seemed fine during a few dry fires. Loaded a magazine with 11 rounds and when I racked the slide, it failed to go completely into battery and I can't move the slide. It's jammed tight. Don't know what to do since this has never happened to me before.

Posts: 331 | Registered: March 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got off the phone with Sig CS. I have to take the gun to a gunsmith to have the round removed and then return the P320 to Sig for further review. Before sending this gun to Sig, I had fired about 300 rounds and had zero problems.

So I'm going to place the gun in the gun box, place a note that it has a jammed live round, lock the gun box and place it in my safe. Then in a few months, I'll start the above recommended process.

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Why not get it fixed now? Leaving a gun with a live jammed round in it seems like a bad idea.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Viffer750:

So I'm going to place the gun in the gun box, place a note that it has a jammed live round, lock the gun box and place it in my safe. Then in a few months, I'll start the above recommended process.

That is very unwise.

Get this round cleared ASAP.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

That makes no sense. If nothing else get that live jammed round removed then do what you want at your leisure time. You'd feel terrible if some innocent person got killed because you didn't do what should have been done. Nuff said.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I'm going to place the gun in the gun box, place a note that it has a jammed live round, lock the gun box and place it in my safe.

If you don't mind me asking: What is your reasoning for not taking care of it now and being done with it?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Normally I would start by saying no disrespect intended but.... I will skip that step because that’s the dumbest idea I’ve heard in a long time. If you can provide one rationale answer as to why you would delay getting this addressed it would be interesting.

In all seriousness have you tried any methodology to getting the slide open beyond simply yanking on the slide? There are safe ways to increase your leverage which is all a gunsmith is going to do. Was this factory ammo?

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do not ship that firearm with a round in the chamber.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just as follow-up ... I smacked the slide from the rear with the palm of my hand and the slide went into battery. First time in the last 8 years that I needed to slap the slide into battery.

Then I was able to eject the live round. Then loaded a new round and this time the slide went into battery. So now I'm going to lub the gun then go to the range and hopefully shoot 200 problem free rounds. End of story.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Just as follow-up ... I smacked the slide from the rear with the palm of my hand and the slide went into battery. First time in the last 8 years that I needed to slap the slide into battery.

It sounds to me like the case rim is hanging up on the extractor and jamming as it rides up behind the extractor during feeding.

It could be due to sharp edges on the extractor, insufficient clearance between the claw and the breech face, a too tight extractor, etc.

Do this. Take the slide off and remove the RSA and barrel. Take a round or an empty case and slide it up the breech face and behind the extractor. It should not take much effort.

My 320 in 45 was hanging like your was with factory loads once in a while. It took me two fingers to be able to slide a case behind the extractor, and that effort shot it thru the top of the slide onto the work bench.

I checked the tension and clearance of the SIG adjusted extractor on my 250 and duplicated those along with plishing the surfaces of the extractor and rounding the sharp edges slightly ala 1911's. No more problems.

When you get an extractor jam, you get a JAM.

And cases that have been reloaded a number of can get dings on the side of the rim that engages the extractor and this can cause problems, too.

---------------The Answer Is There Is No Answer---------------

Posts: 152 | Registered: January 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well first I'd look at the round in question. Is it in spec, do you see any signs of damage to it, either on the bullet, the case mouth or the rim. What was the ammo? Reloads? Factory new? From where?

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea, that’s a lot of stuff to investigate when he didn’t even answer if it was a reload or not. Or if the round in question is in spec. Or if it happened a second time. This was a thread opened over a “problem” that was solved by tapping the back of the slide with your palm for fucks sake.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I sensed initially he just didn't want to deal with it. Putting it in the safe would not have been a good idea. Out of spec ammunition would have been my first thing to check since it's happened to me. Glad he got it resolved.

As to dealing with any customer service, imagine the calls they get, especially SIG recently. Be firm, calm and respectful and you'll most likely get same in return.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
I just got my return shipping label today and sent off my P320 .45. SIG says 4-6 week turnaround. I haven't shot it since the hub-bub began so I won't miss it too much. Its the last .45 in my stable, have switched everything to 9mm and .380 for carry reasons, but it shoots so darn sweet I haven't been able to part with it, yet...

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1237 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Yea, that’s a lot of stuff to investigate when he didn’t even answer if it was a reload or not. Or if the round in question is in spec. Or if it happened a second time. This was a thread opened over a “problem” that was solved by tapping the back of the slide with your palm for fucks sake.

Sorry I missed this post with questions. The round was a 115g FMJ Federal from a box of recently purchased ammo. I looked carefully at the round and it seemed to look fine. I loaded the same magazine with the same ammo and during this second process, the round went into the barrel and the slide into battery. My next step is to lub the gun and take it to the range for a 100 round test.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
I sensed initially he just didn't want to deal with it. Putting it in the safe would not have been a good idea.

Please note that you're exactly correct. I just didn't want to deal with it. If most folks had the same immediate family health problems as we do, they might not want to deal with it either. And hopefully the gun will just go bang without further problems.

Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
I had this exact problem with my 320 using Winchester White Box. Had to force the slide back with a screwdriver to free it up, then it slid back and ejected the round.
This happened with 3 rounds out of a box of 100, so I did some research and used my vernier to measure the bullets and found out that on the 3 bad rounds the cases were 30 thousands over the maximum specification.
Stopped buying WWB from that point on, and never had any more problems with over 700+ rounds.

May not be the pistol, but just an out of spec case.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post