SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Problem with Guiderod in Brand New Legion P226
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with Guiderod in Brand New Legion P226 Login/Join 
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted
Well, I love my New Legion P226 (built May 2017) but was concerned that the slide wasn't as smooth as ALL my other Sigs. I had cleaned it thoroughly, checked for any burrs or misformed areas but found nothing. I was hoping it just needed to be broken in due to tighter tolerances but something just didn't feel right. So, I broke down my other P226 and my P220 and started switching out parts in the process of elimination. The first try was the Guiderod and recoil spring. The problem went away immediately. I then tried the original Guiderod from thebLegion with the old spring from my other P226- problem returned. Tried the ew recoil spring from the Legion and the old Guiderod- no problem. I then compared the two Guiderods and noticed the dimensions are all the same but the Solid Guiderod had an odd texture to it. Almost like there are tiny ridges the entire length of the rod. I pulled the Gray Guns Fat Guiderods out of my P229R and P220ST- perfectly smooth. So, now I have determined that the problem is the Guiderod in my brand new Legion P226 that I haven't even shot yet. I'm extremely disappointed since it took me a while to save up for this pistol and I expected it to be perfect. I'm sure Legion Customer Service will make it right, but it is still extremely frustrating.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: akaSigFreak,

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Sometimes goobers slip through. SIG CS will take care of it.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akaSigFreak:
Well, I love my New Legion P226 (built May 2017) but was concerned that the slide wasn't as smooth as ALL my other Sigs. I had cleaned it thoroughly, checked for any burrs or misformed areas but found nothing. I was hoping it just needed to be broken in due to tighter tolerances but something just didn't feel right. So, I broke down my other P226 and my P220 and started switching out parts in the process of elimination. The first try was the Guiderod and recoil spring. The problem went away immediately. I then tried the original Guiderod from thebLegion with the old spring from my other P226- problem returned. Tried the ew recoil spring from the Legion and the old Guiderod- no problem. I then compared the two Guiderods and noticed the dimensions are all the same but the Gray Guns Fat Solid Guiderod had an odd texture to it. Almost like there are tiny ridges the entire length of the rod. I pulled the Gray Guns Fat Guiderods out of my P229R and P220ST- perfectly smooth. So, now I have determined that the problem is the Gray Guns Fat Guiderod in my brand new Legion P226 that I haven't even shot yet. I'm extremely disappointed since it took me a while to save up for this pistol and I expected it to be perfect. I'm sure Legion Customer Service will make it right, but it is still extremely frustrating.

One thing I have learned with buying firearms (and other items) over the years is to never expect perfection right out of the box.

With buying guns, You won't really know how perfect it is until you put a few hundred rounds through it (Like 600ish).

If something is going to break or fail it will likely happen during the first 600 rounds (IMO).

The good thing about SIG is they are very good with their warranty.. so like Soggy suggested, Sig CS will take care of you..

IF it is just the guide rod I would think they would just send you a new one..

Anyway GL and congrats on your new Legion..

USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) Bremerton WA.
Sig P938/238 Equinox
Sig P320C RX
Colt Mustang XSP FE

Posts: 50 | Location: Southeast NH | Registered: March 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’m confused. Are Grayguns recoil spring guides standard from the factory with Legion P226s?

And what exactly is the problem? You haven’t fired the gun yet, so it’s obviously not something due to functioning. Is it that the guide rod isn’t smooth?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
The guide rod is Sig.
Grayguns supplied the trigger, that's it.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
I would lube that bad boy up and hit the range before throwing any shade towards a disappointing guide rode.

I would bet it still goes bang bang.

Posts: 958 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
To echo what everybody else has stated, the standard guide rod that comes in the Legion series is NOT a Grayguns supplied guide rod. They supply the trigger, and trigger only to the Legion.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
Ok.
1. P226s due not come with a solid guide rod.
2. The Legion P226 has a Solid Guide rod.
3. The Legion P226 Solid Guiderod is Identical shape and style of the P229R Fat Guiderod I purchased directly from Gray Guns.
4. The Guiderod in my Legion, wether it be Gray Guns or Sig produced, is not smooth and causes a strange sound and unsmooth movement of the slide

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
Just spoke to Chris at Sig Sauer Customer Service. He stated it is a Gray Guns Supplied Guiderod and that it sounds like it is possible the finish being slightly marred by the spring testing on it. I told him the manufacturer date was May 23,2017 so I can't imagine the spring sitting on the rod long enough for that to happen. He recommended oiling the rod and shooting the pistol a few hundred rods and it should smooth out. If that didn't help, I would have to send in the entire pistol for inspection.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
There's no such thing as perfection in the firearms world. I have bought $3-4000 guns that weren't perfect. Lube it shoot it in that order. It's just a guide rod. What you describe doesn't even sound like it would effect function.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. It's just difficult for me to try to show others how smooth my new Sig is and have it sound like that. If it doesn't break in quickly- I will replace it with one of my other Guiderods.

posted Hide Post
I wouldnt shoot it to "break it in." Something is going to wear. It wont just be the guide rod. Sounds like machine marks on the guide rod. Those ridges will wear, but so will your slide.

If it's a Greyguns part, why not contact Bruce and get his thoughts?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Some SIG CS guys are more helpful than others. I suggest calling CS again, hoping to get a different guy (get his name). Describe the roughness that you see, and feel, on the guide rod, and ask again to have a replacement sent.

Edit: I looked back in my diary to get the name of a SIG CS guy that I found to be helpful. It's "Bo". He sent me a couple of springs for my X5 for free.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just spoke to Chris at Sig Sauer Customer Service. He stated it is a Gray Guns Supplied Guiderod and that it sounds like it is possible the finish being slightly marred by the spring testing on it.

Say what?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Just spoke to Chris at Sig Sauer Customer Service. He stated it is a Gray Guns Supplied Guiderod and that it sounds like it is possible the finish being slightly marred by the spring testing on it.

Say what?
I'm not even sure what that means... I'd call them back.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
Sorry- "Resting on it"
I told him that didn't make sense since this was a recently produced pistol. I also told him I'm very familiar with the Gray Guns Guiderods (since I have a a few) and they have never had machining marks like this.
Note: Part is NOT a Gray Guns Fat Guiderod.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: akaSigFreak,

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry- "Resting on it"

Figured that's what you meant, that makes not one bit of sense. Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry- "Resting on it"

Oh, I got that part. No, what I was questioning was "a spring resting on a guide rod marring it," cosmetically or otherwise. That's about as ludicrous a statement as ever I've heard.

Either that or GG guide rods are awfully damn soft--which I think rather unlikely.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
I have Gray Guns Fat Guiderods in my 229 and 220. They have been in there for years and don't have any marring from the springs. I know it was a bogus answer. I've heard you receive different CS number and name to call when it's for a Legion. Not sure if that is true- I got my case/coin email but not the one for the Legion Access.

Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendations. I contacted Sig CS again and spoke to Paul. Now that is what I expect from Sig. I explained the issue. He said it sounds like a had determined the source by the process of elimination. Looked up my account and shipped a replacement part. He even asked if I wanted a new spring to go with it. I declined and he sounded surprised. My honest and integrity pays off once in a while. He also said the Guiderod is a Sig Produced part wich contradicts the info I was given earlier.
Problem solved.