SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What slide finish...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What slide finish... Login/Join 
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted
...best matches the black anodizing on SIG frames and is the most durable other than SIG's own Nitron?

I know CCR offers a couple different blacks and I've seen others like TiN in black, but it is hard to judge from photos alone. I'm looking to possibly refinish a stainless P226 slide with a durable black finish to match the frame as it is currently two-tone and while I have not ruled out SIG doing it, wanted to see what options are out there you guys have had positive experiences with. Thanks in advance.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in this as well, however my P228 slide is not stainless. Let's see what the brain trust suggests.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
We have designed our Subdued Intermediate Gloss Cera-Hide to match the factory Black anodized frame

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I appreciate CCR's reply and their Cera-Hide is one of the ones I'm considering but any other thoughts or recommendations as far as actual metal treatments for blackening vs. coatings?

-Dtech

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCR:
We have designed our Subdued Intermediate Gloss Cera-Hide to match the factory Black anodized frame

Would be nice, if you guys still offer the CPII Dusk.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
I appreciate CCR's reply and their Cera-Hide is one of the ones I'm considering but any other thoughts or recommendations as far as actual metal treatments for blackening vs. coatings?

Dtech, this is what I'm talking about, the Walther P5 that gfd37-3 sold recently. The slide was done in CPII Dusk. https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5570023724

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
I've had about 7 or 8 SIG slides done in CCR's "House Black". All came back perfect. I'd be interested to see what the "Subdued Intermediate Gloss Cera-Hide" looks like though.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I can't comment on color match, but Black Nitride is a very attractive and extremely durable coating.

I have seen a wide variety of 2011 pistols that have been treated by H&M. It is extremely hard and lubricious.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:

Dtech, this is what I'm talking about, the Walther P5 that gfd37-3 sold recently. The slide was done in CPII Dusk. https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5570023724

Its really nice in person :P

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny you mentioned Dusk we are currently working on an even better version and should have it available very soon

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Wow! That CPII Dusk looks very nice! A black nickel boron finish sounds really durable too. If CCR still offers it that would definitely be a consideration. Thanks for sharing that!

-Dtech

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
LOL. Well I guess that answers my question. Now that's customer service. Answering the question before it was even asked. Smile

Actually I have had CCR do some work for me in the past a Beretta Tomcat and a Ruger LCP so I know they do good work and would trust them with the P226 as well.

I would be very interested to hear / see what the new CPII Dusk will look like CCR. I may be willing to be the guinea pig. Smile

-Dtech

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Just to share a little more of my intentions, I'm one of those folks that actually liked and purchased a P226 Diamond Plate 9mm back when they were available. Mine is one of the last German made P226 frames that were made into a Diamond Plate pistol and one that has a short extractor slide at that, so while I want to leave the frame as is, I want to turn my somewhat "sparkly" Diamond Plate into an "Armor Plate" with a blackened durable finish on the slide. I think the diamond plate pattern would look really nice on an all black pistol with the cuts being subdued and blending into the black finish as they would also be black. The pistol shoots awesome and has never had a single hiccup. I think making it all black would be the icing on the cake.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dtech,

-Dtech

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
CPII Dusk next to CPII

Close up of CPII dusk (threaded barrel is CPII) yes. No front sight. Couldn't find the loctite

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8017 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
CPII Dusk next to CPII

https://s2.postimg.org/ij7budm55/cp2_zpshoyfrsnm.jpg

Close up of CPII dusk (threaded barrel is CPII) yes. No front sight. Couldn't find the loctite

https://s4.postimg.org/eghrgt5..._20150625_214926.jpg

How durable is the black? I take care of my guns, but hate finishes wearing off.

I'm considering it for my CZ SP-01. I was going to do all CPII... but it is nice as a black gun. I just hate the enamel finish. I already had the guide rod, grip screws, and barrel done in CPII, so would have a few accents.

Posts: 184 | Location: Maine | Registered: December 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Nice Glocks Chowser! Both the regular and the Dusk look nice, and I do like two tone guns, but for my P226 I think the Dusk would work best to tone down the diamond cuts in the slide while potentially offering some really good wear protection. It would be good to hear how durable the CP Dusk has been for those that use it on carry and other heavier use guns.

I'm going to contact CCR directly to get some more info on their "new and improved" CPII Dusk regardless, but hopefully they may be able to share more info here about what the improvements to the process and finished product will be since there seems to be some others interested as well.

-Dtech

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I carry the 21 IWB against my skin and I've noticed no finish issues with the CPII Dusk. Once a week I do wipe it down with some breakfree clp since I do that to my duty weapon once a week as well.

My 21 is primary shot suppressed so it gets really dirty, hence I went with the CPII finishes on them.

I'm picking up a 35MOS and 43 tomorrow, not sure what finishes I want on them yet. Other than my duty gun, I have no stock Glocks. They've been pretty much sent to CCR for one thing or another. I always start off with just a barrel, then end up sending the slide in, so it makes sense to just send the top in Smile

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8017 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
So far, I see the Glock and the P5 with CPII Dusk, and they are black. I have not seen any CPII Dusk on any SIG, except on mine (P228 slide). And, it's far from black. It's very interesting. It looks more like a faded jeans pattern (aka, the fake battle worn look that is the latest fad). The slide (and barrel) was done 2 years ago. When I first got it back, I must admit, "WTH is this? It's not black!". But, it quickly grew on me, so I'm glad I kept it and not sent it back for darkening (as Mary put it). Mary explained to me that different metals will give you different shades of blackness. I think I'm the only one with a SIG (P228) that has a CPII Dusk slide that looks like this. Cool

Here it is, on the M11-A1 frame.

Q

posted Hide Post
Yours is the reason we pulled the Dusk till we could get more even results with all makes and models

423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCR:
Yours is the reason we pulled the Dusk till we could get more even results with all makes and models

I kind of suspected that was the case, from our original email exchange. Are you going to call the improved finish the CPIIDII? Big Grin

Hey, I'm now the only one who owns a "battle worn" CPII P228. Razz

Q