SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    STOS Lubricant?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

STOS Lubricant? Login/Join 
posted
Anyone have experience with STOS lubricant (mfd. by Ponsness Warren) for semiauto pistols? I'm seeking informed thoughts specifically regarding comparison of STOS to Brian Enos Slide Glide, Lucas, or Wilson Combat greases. Thanks.

Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol and CCW Instructor, Firearms Expert Witness - Fraternal Order of Police
*************************************************************************************************************
"Civilian marksmanship was appalling, for a population obsessed with guns." - Lee Child, "A Wanted Man"

Posts: 93 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
As I recall it was formulated for their shotshell presses? I may be wrong. I've seen guys use it to lube hinge pins on single barrel and over under guns too. Certainly worse options as a lube than STOS.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
As I recall it was formulated for their shotshell presses? I may be wrong. I've seen guys use it to lube hinge pins on single barrel and over under guns too. Certainly worse options as a lube than STOS.

Thanks FN. Yes, you're correct about STOS for presses and shotguns. Until recently I hadn't heard about its utility for pistols. I've been a fan of Brian Enos grease for many years. Not that I'm at all dissatisfied with BE grease, but I think I'll give STOS a try. I tend to be somewhat O-C about cleaning and lubrication. Ever have nightmares about a gun malfunctioning? ;-)

Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol and CCW Instructor, Firearms Expert Witness - Fraternal Order of Police
*************************************************************************************************************
"Civilian marksmanship was appalling, for a population obsessed with guns." - Lee Child, "A Wanted Man"

Posts: 93 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I used it on my mil-surps and on the rails of my pistols since the 90's. I liked it, but ran out and started using Lucas Red due to cost and Lucas is easier to find locally.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you ever had a failure due to the lubricant you use?

If not, don’t change; you’re overthinking it. If you have, never use that lube again.

I have had 1 pistol have lubricant related malfunctions. My PPQ because the previous owner used frog lube in the striker channel and it turned into thick gunk below 40 degrees. I would never have used FL anyway (I had spent a good amount of time and effort getting rid of it, never imagined someone would lube the striker channel).

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why switch? Just keep using what you're using. A guy at the gun range took the slide off of a pistol with 13,000 rounds through it without cleaning and showed me. It was dry as a bone, had TONS of carbon in the slide and still functioned...….

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
do you know what STOS means ??

I kid you not, Slicker Then Owl Shit. use it all the time for the last 40 years it's great stuff.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
do you know what STOS means ??

I kid you not, Slicker Then Owl Shit. use it all the time for the last 40 years it's great stuff.

That's funny! Thanks XLT, I always appreciate informed, intelligent responses. ;-)