SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Money Well Spent, or How I Broke It 17 Minutes Into Owning It
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Money Well Spent, or How I Broke It 17 Minutes Into Owning It Login/Join 
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted
I've had a Makarov for a while, and I like it fine, but the grips leave something to be desired. At some point on this forum, somebody posted about this Fab Defense grip, it's got the ergonomic hoohawery, and converts the gun to a thumb release for the magazine! Neat!

So I sat on the link for a long time, because I am a slow consumer, until finally I said "fuck it," which is a thing I say frequently, but in this case it was for me to purchase this, and so I did! And it arrived, just today!

I get out my Makarov, unload it, because safety first. Then I make sure it's more unloaded by working the action a half dozen times because safety is also the other nine things that come first. I look at the instructions, which look like this:

No words or anything, because words are not tactical. It's all actions. Because of this I put the grips on too far forward at first, so I couldn't get the little doodad into the magazine release. No matter, I'll just pull them off! I'll just pull them off... They'll... just.. come... right... motherfucker is stuck. Well, I'll just wiggle it back and forth. Wiggle... wiggle... wiggle... wiggle... It's not happening.

Leverage! I remember something from junior high about leverage! Something about a fulcrum! Maybe a system of pulleys! A screwdriver will do for now though. Jam that badboy in between the grip and the mainspring/magazine release and give a tug, or a push, or whatever it is when you work a lever.

Aaaaaaaaaaand SNAP.

"The fuck did I just break?" I asked Danelle Folta, standing at her place up on the wall of the garage.

Turns out I managed to break the little doodad on the grip's magazine release that goes into heel release and makes it work. Not sure how, as I don't think it was touching anything, but I did it, and that's how I wasted $42. I'm sure I could still use the grip, and use the heel release, it feels quite comfortable compared to the commie grips (is gun, is not supposed to be comfortable! Is for shooting capitalist counterrevolutionary dogs! You get comfort from your fellow workers!), but it just wont be as tacticool.

(Note the Makarov pointed right at my dick)

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
So, in summary, you bought a piece of crap?

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
So being all groggy and such I had no idea what you're talking about so I googled FAB Defense and Makarov and Grip and found Zahal because I was so without caffeine that I didn't even see your link and wasn't awake enough to click on it but I could've mistaken it for clickbait given my half-asleep state but I'm digressing aren't I and forgetting what is at hand but I did watch this installation video and yes it sounds like being tactical made you too manly and you broke the dohicky lever thingamajig that it seems you are supposed to be supple and gentle with...

A hint that you may be in for trouble is when the official video has three FAB grips laid out on the work table, each available before trying to change out the old part. The fact that they were different colors--supposedly demonstrating the varied color selection--is immaterial; it's the subliminal psych-out interplay that really is the key here. And yeah, from the vid you are apparently supposed to be slow and cautious when sliding that pile of plastic shit onto your Mak. Definitely not tactical mode. Kinda clear that it wasn't designed and made in Mother Russia, comrade. Sorry for your loss.

The 'Z' patch on the video guy's vest WAS good for a smirk, though. It's 'Super Z', and not a Datsun in sight.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry that you broke it, but that was an entertaining read at least. Big Grin

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not surprising.

The Israeli tacticool companies like FAB and Fobus are not exactly known for the quality of their products.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang! Watched about a minute of the "tactical grip." I was totally wowed by the tacticalness of them and that dude? Totally tactical.

Serioiusly, I think the stock grips are fine and comfortable.

Vince

Posts: 307 | Registered: July 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
That story is exactly why I do not work on things.
In fact, I am kept away from wheelbarrows because I know nothing about machinery!

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Nyet Makarov is fine

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the story and profanity, masterful use.

Would read again. A++++

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on not shooting yourself in the dick. That would seriously reduce the floppage.

Just fasten the grip on with a bit of 100mph tape. All will be fine.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Danelle Folta

Wondered who she was & Google did me in? As soon as I hit more photos her Playboy centerfold photo filled my screen as my wife walked in. Busted!!!!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I'm sorry that you broke it

In Soviet Russia, Makarov break YOU.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Airsoft,

Is the broken piece user replaceable? If so, I bet if you emailed Zahal, they'd send you a new one.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put a Pearce Rubber grip on the Makarov.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have one of those grips, although it is not as easy as replacing the standard Makarov grips, I have not managed to break the part you broke.

Getting the lever on the Makarov heel release tab is the trickiest part.i like the shape of the grip, the only thing I didn't like in terms of contour, was the extended beavertail tang on the grip.

I shortened that part on my grip.

The changed magazine release location messed me up however, years of using my left hand thumb and finger was reflexive with my Makarov, it was hard to go to another location for the mag release, henceI went back to the standard grips.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:
Danelle Folta

Wondered who she was & Google did me in? As soon as I hit more photos her Playboy centerfold photo filled my screen as my wife walked in. Busted!!!!

Ha! Got heem. Shoulda known, it's a garage, this person is on the wall, probably a good chance they're known for being naked. She was super important to 12 year old ASG.

quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Airsoft,

Is the broken piece user replaceable? If so, I bet if you emailed Zahal, they'd send you a new one.

Maybe? I don't think it's really worth the hassle.

I primarily wanted the grip because the stock grips are rather uncomfortable, the thumb release was just a neat novelty.

I'll probably keep it on there since I don't really carry it, and I think it looks cool. Plus it's a commercial IJ-70, so it's not like the ghost of Lenin is gonna come after me... Or will he?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Neat.

I've avoided maks because of slide bite. And I'd keep it heel release, because I'm a lefty and I'm not buying a makarov for its tactical tactics when being tactically tact.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post