SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The father (Swiss P210), the son (German P210), and the grandson (American P210)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The father (Swiss P210), the son (German P210), and the grandson (American P210) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Guys, this is just an amateur write-up.

Comparisons of the Swiss, German, and American P210s

Part 1 - Characteristics, pluses, minuses, etc. (today)
Part 2 - Range shooting (will be at a later date)

Swiss P210-5LS - Long Sport
The original SIG company in Switzerland already sold all of its firearm related business in 2000, and the new firearm company was now named SAN Swiss Arms AG. Made in 2003, this P210 is technically Swiss Arms P210. My reading tells me that about 200 of this model were made, and 2003 - 2005 was the last period that the P210 was made in Switzerland, ever. Obviously it is a long slide gun, sporting a 150 mm long barrel. It has heavy frame, target sight, and the American style mag release. The target grip looks funny but superbly ergonomic, and it is exactly the same as the other two P210s. Frame-to-slide fit is tight as a drum, with zero play. Slide riding on frame is smooth, but not as smooth as the American P210. Trigger on this one is the best of the three. The 2-stage trigger starts with the smooth uptake, and broke like glass at 3 lbs. Insane, as far as I'm concerned. I'll admit that I'm a trigger snob, and this one has the best trigger of all the guns I've ever had.

German P210 Legend Super Target Silver 5" - I'd call this the P210 "LDC". Big Grin
BH date code (2017). Has a 120 mm barrel, full length dust cover, full length guide rod, front strap checkering, target sight, and Super Target controls. Frame-to-slide fit is tight as a drum, with zero play. Slide riding on frame is the worse of the three, not glass smooth like the American. The 2-stage trigger has a slightly creepy uptake, then broke like glass at 3.5 lbs.

American P210 - P210A-TGT
Yeah, I know. I swore to wait until next year. But seeing all these early good reviews, I said to myself, "To hell with it, I'm jumping on the band wagon!" Big Grin
And, I'm glad I did. Man, this gun, just from a handling perspective, exudes quality at a fraction of the costs of its father and grandfather. Kudos to SIG USA for taking the time to get this right. Barrel is the same length as the German (120 mm). Frame-to-slide fit is not as tight as the Swiss and the German. There is a little play, there. But, the slide ride is the best of the three, almost as glass smooth as the Beretta 92FS. The 2-tage trigger on this one has the smoothest uptake of the three, before breaking like glass at 3.5 lbs. A production gun from SIG USA with an incredible trigger. This is a SIG that really deserves the SIG Custom Shop label, imho.
Love the fiber optic front.
Hate the front slide serrations.

*** BONUS: *** All the mags are interchangeable on all three guns. Thank you!

Hmm, my P210A has the same born on date as yours...10/18/17. I guess they do a big run and then make other guns??

Posts: 114 | Location: NJ | Registered: December 09, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For reference, my very recently purchased one is just over 600 past yours, 59A0039xx, manufactured on Dec 28, 2017. Not sure if there are any better manufacturing runs than others, but my Christmas 210A is near perfection in all areas; just a superlative handgun.

Posts: 172 | Registered: August 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pistols!

Question how does Hammerli fit it? Were they actually manufacturing some "Swiss" P210's? I don't believe any of my P210's have Hammereli on them.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
You sir have an outstanding SIG collection.
Congrats.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My bucket list has the 210 on it. Id like to think every collection needs one. =)

Posts: 26 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: March 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Incredible guns and pictures!

Congratulations.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Beautiful pistols!
Question how does Hammerli fit it? Were they actually manufacturing some "Swiss" P210's?

It´s an interesting question. Hämmerli was always an OEM manufacturer for SIG and made most parts for the P210 and assembled it, long before they became a part of SIGArms. You will find the reference in Döbeli: Die SIG Pistolen. When Hämmerli was shut down with the take over of the LO group, manufacturing was moved to Neuhausen and P210 production continued under SAN, but without SIG logo. Hämmerli was distributor for the commercial market of SIGArms as well. Pistols with such markings are standard pistols made for export similar to P210 pistols marked „Switzerland“.
There´s actually only a few real SIG made P210 pistols. Most of them are very early ones.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great comparison...

*** Where is the test target of the American 210??? ***

Please, can you post the three targets for a one-to-one comparison?

Thanks,
Damo

Posts: 341 | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Darimian:
Great comparison...

*** Where is the test target of the American 210??? ***

Please, can you post the three targets for a one-to-one comparison?

Thanks,
Damo

No Test target on the American.
And there is no point comparing the Swiss and the German targets.
Swiss: 50 meters, machine rest.
German: 25 meters, supported hands.

I think you get a better idea of the capability of each gun, looking at this thread, Range reports: Swiss P210-5LS, German P210 Super Target Ag 5, and American P210A-TGT

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That German one looks bad ass.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome post, Thanks!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that info, OTD. Very interesting. There are many twists and turns in the P210 story.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This doesn't surprise me at all. We old shooters know our Colonial American history as well as Early American history. Americans have been designing and building guns before the revolution and ever since.
So much of the "West German" and such. Come on,
American fire arms even early on. Those guys with those Pennsylvania and Kentucky long rifles took a toll on those red coats from distances that amazed those Brits.
And where did our Marines get the name Devil Dogs?
It was the Germans sticking their heads up from American marines using American rifles from 500 yards away.
So, like I said I'm not surprised at all with this report.
Stay safe and Semper Fi.
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful collection!!!

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timrh23:
Swiss P210-5LS - Long Sport

The correct name is actually «SIG P210-5LS heavy frame» where, in LS, L = Longslide, and S = Side, for "side mag catch".
Indeed, the same last Neuhausen-made heavy frame pistol both in its P210-5LS or P210-6S variants, was available with an «American» style/«Side» magazine button, OR a «European» style/«magwell» bottom magazine retaining spring.
The "S" in P210-6S also stands for «Side» catch and not «Sport» or «Short». Short being 210-1,2,3,4,6,7 or 8 while long is only 210-5.
;-)

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ The P210-5LS was made by Swiss Arms, wasn't it? SIG was no longer into firearm making business by this time. So, technically, it is not a SIG. You don't see the name "SIG" marked anywhere on these later models made by Swiss Arms. Or, did I learn the information all wrong?

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^ The P210-5LS was made by Swiss Arms, wasn't it? SIG was no longer into firearm making business by this time. So, technically, it is not a SIG. You don't see the name "SIG" marked anywhere on these later models made by Swiss Arms. Or, did I learn the information all wrong?

Yep, my bad - perfectly right, it is Swiss Arms P210-5LS. The latest iteration of the Neuhausen P210 was made by "Swiss Arms", on the actual original SIG machinery, but for "obscure" commercial reasons, could not call nor stamp them SIG anymore.

We can still call them all P210, then add Swiss, German or American LOL

SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
No obscurity. The name rights have not been sold when SIG sold it’s firearms department to the L&O group. This is the reason it was renamed to SAN and became an independent company. No name rights, no name, no logo. The location, the machines and the people remained the same.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Fantastic photo's of a great trio of 210's!

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigerbloodwinning:
quote:

Pretty sure you are right. In fact, after everything went to Swiss Arms, there was no tangible reason to keep calling it a SIG since Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft was no longer making guns. For strictly informative purposes, the names SIG, Swiss Arms, and Sig Sauer should be used appropriately. Casually though, we are all used to calling all of the guns “Sigs”. Easiest and most familiar, I guess (and never totally incorrect)

It’s a weird observation indeed and it leaves the impression that it does not really matter to the people who built their guns. But it does not really matter. Unless somebody is a true collector and interested in details, it does not matter what’s swimming in the SIG pot. All the real knowhow was available a couple of years ago, but it somehow vanished with the people.