SIGforum
Seeking recommendations for a pistol brass catcher

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/4350038824

August 13, 2017, 12:03 PM
wrightd
Seeking recommendations for a pistol brass catcher
I have been loosing too much brass at the range I'm shooting at, as the young RSO (and brass rat) is always going around and collecting the brass as it falls out of all of the booths.

So I was thinking I need a brass catcher. Problem is, my guns throw brass in all sorts of directions, and the lanes are pretty narrow, so whatever might work, needs to have some flexibility in terms of attachment to something, anything. But I've never used one, so I'm not sure the best way to start shopping.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster
August 13, 2017, 12:38 PM
.38supersig
The only pistol brass catcher I can think of is for a Calico Liberty III. It clips onto the frame and holds approximately 150 rounds.

August 13, 2017, 12:47 PM
wrightd
I'm not looking for one to attach to the gun, rather one that can catch brass as it's popping out, to use for all my pistols, shooting standing up.

August 13, 2017, 03:34 PM
Nipper
If you're reasonably handy, you could probably make one yourself. Hardest part would be the frame for netting of some type.

You mention booths. Presumably a commercial indoor range.? Even some course net like material hung flush with the RH side of the booth would prevent the brass from bouncing. It would hit the side and drop downwards, where most of it could be retrieved. Could also cut a piece of net and place it under the vertical net to keep it from rolling after the drop.

Would just dropping some type of coarse, rubberized netting on the floor help. Depends on the bounce pattern.

August 13, 2017, 03:59 PM
Woodwrkr221
I went to Bass Pro and bought the largest minnow net they had with a loop of maybe 18" diameter, fine mesh and a handle that extends. One of my home built PVC target stand bases serves as a brass catcher stand.

Works good but I gotta stand real close for the brass catcher to catch most all my brass.

A stick in the other side of the PVC stand with a tiny bungee cord hooked to the mesh and stick holds the mesh up and open. Without something holding the mesh up and open the brass bounces back out.
August 13, 2017, 05:12 PM
colt_saa
Have you had a chat with the RSO in question? Or the shop/range manager?

I had this same issue once. So I informed them that I am a handloader and want to retrieve all/most of my brass.

That stopped any sweeping up of my my area.

I usually take the broom, sweep my brass into a pile and remove it, then continue to tidy up the shooting position before I depart the range.

Problem solved

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com
August 14, 2017, 10:55 AM
JonTy
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
I have been loosing too much brass at the range I'm shooting at, as the young RSO (and brass rat) is always going around and collecting the brass as it falls out of all of the booths.

So I was thinking I need a brass catcher. Problem is, my guns throw brass in all sorts of directions, and the lanes are pretty narrow, so whatever might work, needs to have some flexibility in terms of attachment to something, anything. But I've never used one, so I'm not sure the best way to start shopping.

I use basically 2 types of brass catchers.

First is a large fine mesh fishing net that I cut the handle off of then attached to a tripod camera mount. I also bought a cheap used camera tripod from my local Craigs list for $10.00.

This I take to the local ranges & hunting camp. It's not 100% effective but catches most as long as the gun ejects sideways.

I have another one that I made from a large plastic storage container (like an x-mas tree storage box).

I have a mount made for it to go onto a camera tripod and have a movable post on wheels mount that I use on my home private range.

I add a 5" tall piece of wood across the bottom (inside the box) to prevent brass roll out & pad the inside of the storage container with astro turf to take the bounce out of the brass hitting the back on the storage container.

I set it up so the container leans back at about 10°-15°.

The storage container works about the best of anything as it catches 100% of my brass but a few will still pop out but end up on the ground just below the container.

I took another smaller container & made a snap in extension flap for the top (sticks out over the gun somewhat) to use on some of my guns that eject straight up.

One of the advantages to the storage box is that I can place most of my shooting range supplies inside the box for transport out to the range.
August 14, 2017, 12:39 PM
Nipper
I knew there were some creative SF minds out there. Smile

August 14, 2017, 12:48 PM
Snake207
About 20 years ago, I saw a guy at a WMA range basically take a regular fish net you'd buy at Walmart and attach it to his strong hand (I forget exactly how). It looked funny as hell, but I'll be damned if it didn't catch every single casing. Big Grin

August 14, 2017, 10:12 PM
wrightd
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:

I had this same issue once. So I informed them that I am a handloader and want to retrieve all/most of my brass.

That stopped any sweeping up of my my area.

I usually take the broom, sweep my brass into a pile and remove it, then continue to tidy up the shooting position before I depart the range.

Problem solved

It depends on the RSO and what he feels at the moment. I THINK the policy is if it hits the ground it belongs to the range. But sometimes they'll avoid picking up behind my booth if I ask them, sometimes they won't. It just depends on who's in there and what they decide at that moment. The last time the guys said I could keep my brass, but then he got swapped out, and the new guy collected it without me knowing about it. It's a crap shoot.

August 15, 2017, 06:02 AM
Tusk
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:

I've used one like this for years. It works well but does depend on the pistol ejection pattern. You get used to it and I really don't even see it any more when I shoot.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...brass-catcher-pistol
August 15, 2017, 08:16 AM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:

I don't go to an indoor range any more; I belong to a club that encourages members to pick up brass. They don't clean up after the shooters.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
August 15, 2017, 11:56 AM
1KPerDay
Google graco models

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.
August 15, 2017, 12:19 PM
pburkott
These are popular among Bullseye shooters...
http://www.cm-machine.com/Ulti...ccessories_c_25.html

Pete
August 15, 2017, 01:46 PM
bald1
Like Tusk, I've had a Catch-All for decades. Velcro straps to your hand. Use it when shooting in grass areas where brass policing would be a PITA. Smile

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...brass-catcher-pistol

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
August 15, 2017, 07:07 PM
winter_war
That Catch-All looks pretty good.

The Graco Models Mark I is similar, but their Mark II mounts on a front pic rail.

Caldwell makes several different brass catchers. Their Brass Trap uses sand bags or a tripod mount. But, that one might be a little big for a booth at an indoor range.