SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    DAO or DA/SA ??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DAO or DA/SA ?? Login/Join 
Picture of T.Webb
posted
I finally picked up a West German P228 (1995) to add to my Sig collection. My other P Series guns, (2-P220's, P226, P6) are all traditional DA's with the decocking lever. The new (to me) P228, an older Police gun, is DAO. So, my dilemma is whether to convert it to DA/SA or leave it be.

IF I decide to convert, where do/should I shop for the parts?

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I found the traditonal DAO to be terrible. DAK was much better. Id convert if true DAO.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found the traditonal DAO to be terrible.

I agree, if possible - I would convert it to DA/SA.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I'm not up on the configuration of the DAO but I'd guess it probably doesn't have a decocker. Provided the frame will work with a DA/SA configuration that should be a fairly easy conversion. Buy parts from Top Gun.

If for some reason it can't be converted, you might contact Robert Burke and see if he can work some magic on the DA action.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Ive converted a couple of 228’s from DAO to DA/SA. Topgun supply has an FAQ on their page on what parts to order. It’s pretty simple.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Ive converted a couple of 228’s from DAO to DA/SA. Topgun supply has an FAQ on their page on what parts to order. It’s pretty simple.

https://www.topgunsupply.com/faq.html

Parts to convert from DAO to DA/SA

•Hammer
•Hammer Strut Pin (except P239 which is integral)
•Decocking Lever
•Decocking Lever Spring
•Decocking Lever Bearing

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a DAO P228 as well. I found that the trigger pull was a little heavy for my taste. Using a Sig Short Trigger made the pull easier. I then had it converted to TDA and then changed the trigger back to a standard SIG trigger. In retrospect, I could have tried a lower weight hammer spring and that could have dropped the trigger pull to something more manageable.

I had a Sig Certified armorer do the conversion. I needed the decocker assembly (spring, lever, base) a Sear and Hammer. That conversion was done back in 2007, so I might not have remembered everything correectly. You could probably find a how to on YouTube that includes a parts list. As a rule I buy my SIG parts from Top Gun Supply, SIG and Brownells with preference toward Top Gun.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
You could probably find a how to on YouTube that includes a parts list.

Given recent policy changes at YouTube, you may or may not be able to do this anymore. The American Gunsmithing Institute video has the same information, or you could support the nice people at Gray Guns by buying their video. Either way, the video is worth the money and you'll get an outstanding compendium of basic information for working on your SIG.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried a DAO 228 once and found I much prefer the DA/SA. Put in the the "convert" crowd as well.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although I preferred DAO before development of the DAK trigger, if converting to DA/SA from DAO I see no reason to replace the sear: hammer and decocker assembly are all that should be necessary to change.

The “replace the sear along with the hammer” applies only if replacing a DA/SA hammer with the same type. If the hammer strut pin isn’t included with the DA/SA hammer (as it often is), it can be removed from the DAO hammer and reused if desired.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Convert it. You want the same manual of arms as your other Sigs imo.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I converted a DAK to DA/SA. Sig did it during SSP.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I converted my old NYPD 226 from DAO to DA/SA a few years ago. I got the parts list from TGS and I'll be ordering parts this week.

Wish me luck. The last time I did this, my eyes were much younger.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, there's no eMail in your profile. I'd like to ask you a few questions about your DAO. Thanks!

Posts: 826 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post