SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which Glock 19 Sights for Self Defense?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Glock 19 Sights for Self Defense? Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
I'm looking to replace the Trijicon 3-Dot Night Sights on my Glock 19. I bought this gun used several years ago and absolutely HATE 3-dot sights without exception.

Outside of standard revolver sights I have used XS Big Dot on a rented Kahr K9 and Sig's "i" sights on my P226. Both of which I much prefer over 3-dot. I would prefer a tritium front sight and non-tritium rear. I'm more concerned with fast target acquisition at close range than I am punching tiny patterns at 25+ yards.

Question:
Which sights do you prefer?

Choices:
XS Sights Big Dot Sights
XS Sights F8 Night Sights
Amerigo Pro-iDot Night Sights
Ameriglo Cap Night Sights
Amerigo Hackathorn Night Sights
Warren Tactical Night Sights
Other...please specify, NO 3-dots Please!

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3626 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Ameriglo UC

https://ameriglo.com/products/glock-uc-tritium-sets

Your choice of yellow or orange high-vis front night sight. (Ameriglo Pro/Trijicon HD-style)

Paired with a blank serrated U-notch rear sight.

I have these on almost all of my personal Glocks. I wish they were available for Sigs and S&Ws as well.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Pro I-dot is my preferred choice. Ameriglo hi-vis front with blackened rear next ('U' or square cut; that doesn't matter to me). Most of my intended carry-ready Glocks are set up with either of these sights.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I like the Ameriglos that come on the Gen5 19.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
I like the Ameriglos that come on the Gen5 19.

Which are 3-dot sights. The OP specifically stated that he doesn't want 3-dot sights.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Trijicon HD sights on all my Glocks, with an orange ront, largely because I like the higher visibility front sight and the deep u-notch on the rear.

Three-dot combinations work up and down and allow the forward sight to run like the mechanism on a sewing machine when firing a string. The front passes above and can pass below on target, whereas sighs such as i-dot (x/s, etc) are one-directional: up.

If it's a bar-over type sight, then I think the X/S sights are some of the best. I don't care for white fronts, especially on a light background. The big front is very easy to pick up quickly, but unnecessary and the standard front is better.

I used to use the ashley express sights on a lot of pistols; those are x/s today; they're still good sights, but the Trijicon HD are considerably better. I understand the way it is when a sight really bugs you, though; gotta go with what you're comfortable using.

I bought a set of sights online a few years ago, advertised as Trijicon HD, and it turned out they were a mix of an Ameriglo Caps front and a different rear. I put them on a G43 and used them for a little while, but hated them. The front was visible, they were lower profile than the Trijicon, and I didn't really have any reason to dislike them so much, other than they weren't HD's. I got rid of them and replaced them with Trijicon HD's.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Ameriglo UC

Your choice of yellow or orange high-vis front night sight. (Ameriglo Pro/Trijicon HD-style)

I have these on almost all of my personal Glocks. I wish they were available for Sigs and S&Ws as well.

This. I have them on my 19 and 43. I’ve had XS Big Dots, Trijicon HD’s and I-dot Pros. It’s easier for me to pick up the orange dot in the blacked out rear sight

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would prefer a tritium front sight and non-tritium rear.

I voted Hackathorn. No tritium in the rear and it's the .140 front and .180 rear.

I actually prefer a darker front sight than the REALLY BRIGHT orange front. With *my* eyes the bright colors fuzz the sight. I use a black sharpie on the white/orange/yellow outlines of the front tritium.

I'm partial to Ameriglo, they work for me. I don't have experience with XS or Warren.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I have a few Glocks I put a set of Ameriglo I CAP sets on, and I like them. The sight picture is quick and uncomplicated, good in every lighting condition I’ve looked at them with, and if you need more, you can give them a quick hit with a flashlight for the neon effect. I have a few others that need night sights and was thinking about trying the thinner front sight version they came out with. That, or the set on the right in this pic Rogue posted previously:

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Ameriglo UC

Seconded. These are the sights that come on the G4 Talo edition and I like them a lot.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.heinie.com/3185l-h...ght-night-sight-set/

Straight 8 sights? I've come back around on 3 dots so I havent run these on anything but a 1911 but they work as intended. You can blank the rear or run it with tritium and stack the dots.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heine straight 8 ledge

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I have Ameriglos on all my Glock. Very satisfied

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the Trijicon HDs on my G19 but those Ameriglo UC sights Rogue posted look great and they cost a lot less. I’ll probably order a set for my G43.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
I'm looking to replace the Trijicon 3-Dot Night Sights on my Glock 19. I bought this gun used several years ago and absolutely HATE 3-dot sights without exception.

Outside of standard revolver sights I have used XS Big Dot on a rented Kahr K9 and Sig's "i" sights on my P226. Both of which I much prefer over 3-dot. I would prefer a tritium front sight and non-tritium rear. I'm more concerned with fast target acquisition at close range than I am punching tiny patterns at 25+ yards.

None of the above. Heinie Straight 8 sights.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
My wife and I used to have Warren Tacticals on our Glocks.

Now both of us are currently using Trijicon HDs. Yellow front.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1897 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Ameriglo Pro I-dots, of what you have listed.

Although I like those, I switched to Ameriglo Agent sights, which have a U notch and 2 dots on the rear (vials only, no outline). I like them a lot more and am slowly switching things out.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
I just put a Fiber Optic on the front and use the stock Glock outline rear. Why Fiber Optic? Because if I can see the glow from a front sight's little tritium vial in the dark, I sure as hell can't identify what I'm aiming at. Since the Glock is my bedside gun, it also has a flashlight mounted on it so a little glow from a tritium front sight is useless. In any other light conditions besides super dark, the fiber optic blow the tritium sight away in visibility.

On my carry gun (Kahr CM9), I do have a tritium front sight, but I don't kid myself into thinking it's actually much more useful than being able to easier find it in the dark since like I mentioned, if I can see the glow, it's way to dark to see what I'm shooting at without a secondary light source which makes the glow pointless.

But I am an old man with old man eyes..

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I would say the Ameriglo CAP in green.
I have Warrens, Pro I-dots, Trijicon HDs, Ameriglo Agents.

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post