SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Who can give me a "nitron" finish on my stainless slide?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who can give me a "nitron" finish on my stainless slide? Login/Join 
posted
Just picked up a pistol I've been searching for for years, an older all SS P220 match elite with the awesome original SIG aluminum grips and the nice big beavertail that I prefer over the newer style. Got it for $945, did I do good?

So anyway, I'de like to get the slide finished in black with something comparable to the SIG nitron finish which I assume but could be wrong, is some type of melonite/nitride/QPQ finish.

Who perfroms this type of service? Not interested in any of the spray on & bake type finishes.

Heres a link to pic, cant seem to get it to show up on the post.

https://drive.google.com/file/...Gc/view?usp=drivesdk

Posts: 178 | Registered: March 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
The Stainless Match Elite does look good in black

Here is my 10MM P220 finished in QPQ.

If I were doing it today I would probably do a high polish and then go with IONbond.

There are LOTS of shops that do refinishing. You might want to use Google and see if there is one near you.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Btw, if you want Nitron, why not have SIG do it for you?

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
CCR has a matte black that they do, maybe other choices, as well. They did a more glossy black for me several years ago.

http://www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Btw, if you want Nitron, why not have SIG do it for you?

Oh! Is that an option? Have people done that? My P220 carry has seen thousands of rounds and has been carried all over the place and the nitron slide still looks as new, so I would be highly inclined to have SIG do it if possible. I will have to give them a call.

posted Hide Post
I had SIG refinish the slide and barrel on a 1984 P225 with black nitron. It takes them a little longer to do refinishing, but I was very happy with the results. They are first class all the way.

Posts: 225 | Location: WA | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
https://www.sigsauer.com/custom-shop/

NITRON FINISH FOR STAINLESS
SLIDES or BLUING FOR CARBON STEEL SLIDES P, SP &
1911 Refinish your stainless steel slide with our Nitron finish or re-blue your carbon steel slide. (WE DO NOT REFINISH FRAMES.)
$ 99.95

Posts: 4128 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
The Stainless Match Elite does look good in black

Here is my 10MM P220 finished in QPQ.

If I were doing it today I would probably do a high polish and then go with IONbond.

There are LOTS of shops that do refinishing. You might want to use Google and see if there is one near you.

Beautiful pair!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
https://www.sigsauer.com/custom-shop/

NITRON FINISH FOR STAINLESS
SLIDES or BLUING FOR CARBON STEEL SLIDES P, SP &
1911 Refinish your stainless steel slide with our Nitron finish or re-blue your carbon steel slide. (WE DO NOT REFINISH FRAMES.)
$ 99.95

Wow awesome!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amsmith281:
I had SIG refinish the slide and barrel on a 1984 P225 with black nitron. It takes them a little longer to do refinishing, but I was very happy with the results. They are first class all the way.

Nothing I won't find out on my own, but did you send them the complete slide or did you have to strip it yourself(removal of sights) beforehand? The website doesn't specify.

posted Hide Post
Did a little "slide swappin" to get a preview, maybe not everyone's cup of tea but I myself love the 2-tone look with the SS frame and black slide!

https://drive.google.com/file/...mc/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/...Hc/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/...jQ/view?usp=drivesdk

posted Hide Post
If you can believe the tales told around the various forums, Ionbond provides the Nitron finish for SIG. These guys (link below) apparently have an agreement with Ionbond to serve as their agents for custom refinishing:

http://www.jabuie.com/ionbond.html

Posts: 117 | Registered: February 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Where ever you decide to send the slide, let them R&R the sights. Less chance of the new finish being damaged.

I had SIG bead blast to natural stainless, two slides for me in the past. They stripped the slides of internals and sights, then re-installed them. They came back pristine.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I didn't care for the two-tone look of the stainless on my all stainless P220, so I took the slide over to Robar and had them blacken the slide. They have several options, including Roguard, black oxide, parkerizing, etc.

I just took the slide as-is, and they did the rest. Very happy with the results.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of saltysquid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbmcmjr:
If you can believe the tales told around the various forums, Ionbond provides the Nitron finish for SIG. These guys (link below) apparently have an agreement with Ionbond to serve as their agents for custom refinishing:

http://www.jabuie.com/ionbond.html

It's absolutely true. Straight from Ionbond to me. When sig first switched over to ionbond they were sending then to North Carolina to ionbond. In a short time ionbon built a plant up by sig.
They called the last finish they used nitron. It's Ionbond, sig just kept calling it Nitron. Ionbond does all of sig's pvd finishes.

When I called I apoke to a lady named Terry. This is the main plant not the one up by sig. I'm guessing they have a very long contract for them to build a plant for it. Theu used to take in individual work, not sure if thats still true. A guy named wayne in portsmouth, handled it. Thats the plant they built something like 18 miles from sig exeter.

North Carolina:
Ionbond US - Greensboro
7856 McCloud Road
Greensboro, USA NC 27409
Tel. +1 336 665 0005

DAV and NRA Lifetime member.

Posts: 114 | Location: Mexico | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually drove past their facility on my way to Brevard and was thinking "Wow, wish I could just drop off a few things with those guys right now!"

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 94hokie:
I actually drove past their facility on my way to Brevard and was thinking "Wow, wish I could just drop off a few things with those guys right now!"

Nice area and town, Brevard.

The price others have posted for Sig doing the Nitron to the slides, is comparable to what the Ion Bond vendors charge per slide.

A stripped slide is usually $90 , plus shipping, dissassembly and reassembly is extra.

I have gotten spoiled to Ion Bond. Slides do not show holster wear, as coated finishes do.

Hardly ever have a pistol hard chromed anymore.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a P229 SAS that was a damned two-tone. Sig fixed it quite well. All black now.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post