SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Range reports: Swiss P210-5LS, German P210 Super Target Ag 5, and American P210A-TGT
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range reports: Swiss P210-5LS, German P210 Super Target Ag 5, and American P210A-TGT Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Part 1 is here.

Part 2: Range shooting

I finally was able to complete range testing on all three guns. Man, what fun!!!

Here is how things went.

The first day, 12/1/17, I took all three out, with 200 rounds and very little time, driving 20 miles to the outdoors range. And, that was a mistake, trying to accuracy test these target guns in a hurry. Yeah, it was embarrassing, because I was all over the place. Even the best groups were nothing to write home about. The only saving grace from this session was that, at least, I got to know the guns in action.

So, I decided that I was going to the indoors range much closer to home (Shiloh), plus only bring one gun at a time, so to have more time to concentrate and give each gun a fair shake. And, the results were quite surprising. The American held its own and then kicked some asses. Eek
In total, each now has 200 rounds through it.

Ammo tested (all 124Gr): Federal American Eagle (FAE) FMJ, Fiocchi XTPHP, Geco FMJ, Sellier & Bellot (SB) FMJ, Speer Lawman TMJ
Targets show groups of 5 shots each.
Distances: all 25 yds.
Position: standing, 2 hands, with gun grips rested on bench.
Results: best groups shown, with the largest center-to-center spreads measured / reported. It seems that I consistently got the worse results with SB. And, Geco is always at or near the top.

12/5/17 - The Swiss (father)
-Malfunctions: none
-A comment regarding the hammer bite I read so much about of P210 shooters. What hammer bite? I just don't get it. It's physically impossible to get hammer bite, unless you have so much meat in the web between the thumb and index finger that it rolls up above the short tail and spill over to the area of the hammer. The only reason that I can think of that is more reasonable is this. The bite is from the swept down tail itself. The down pointing tail hit the web of your hand with each recoil. That makes more sense to me.

Geco: 1 1/16 inches
Fiocchi: 1 1/4 inches
FAE: 1 3/4 inches
Speer: 1 7/8 inches
SB: Way way off!!! Shame! Have no ideas what happened here. I must have been dozing off. Roll Eyes

12/7/17 - The German (son)
-Malfunctions: Man, this gun gave me heartburn initially. It was so tight that, during the first 60 - 70 rounds or so, the slide never fully returned to battery about at least 60% of the time. I had to give it a kick in the rear to fully seat it. I was thinking to myself, "I bought an expensive POS." Roll Eyes But, thankfully, it finally loosened up beyond that, and no more kick in the butt was required.

Geco: 3/4 inch
Fiocchi: 1 inch
FAE: 1 1/8 inches
Speer: 1 1/4 inches
SB: 2 inches

12/8/17 - The American (grandson)
-Malfunctions: none. Kicking asses for a fraction of the prices of it father and grandfather, what's not to love? Big Grin

FAE: 1/2 inch (discounting the freaking flier) Mad
Speer: 11/16 inch
Geco: 7/8 inch
Fiocchi: 1 1/2 inches
SB: 1 3/16 (discounting the 2 fliers Roll Eyes)

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice Q. I still like the LDC model

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Blue Dog, I think that is called a heavy frame. I dont get why that one was so tight fit. Perhaps the PVC finish? The American model sure seems to shoot fine. The Swiss is very attractive with its long slide. Any of the 3 capable of lead bullets Q? Would plated bullets shoot without fouling issues?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Beautiful weapons (great photos), and interesting range ammo results. Thanks for the two part series here.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
You need a P240 12131. You truely need a P240.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great job Q. Very nice shooting. I can't wait for Sig to release the American Super Target Smile.

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
Q.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Beautiful pistols. Thanks for the report and pics!

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
On one of my Swiss -2 pistols, when I first took it shooting (outside, ~40 degree weather) it wouldn't go into battery either. Frustrated, I pulled the slide off, wiped out all of the Slide Glide grease, and put in a couple drops of Rem Oil. It's run like a top ever since, I just keep it lubed with only thin oil, now.

Posts: 836 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
No grease, here. All three were lubed with Slip 2000 EWL. No worry, the German "LDC" is smooth sailing, now.

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Terrific job Q. That's a lot of hard, dirty work that takes a lot of time, but somebody has to do it Wink

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice report...sweet Sigs Q.

Posts: 203 | Location: Michigan | Registered: February 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Joni Lynn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report. I adopted one of these a couple weeks ago but haven't had a chance to shoot it very much yet.

A woman can never have too many guns.

Posts: 201 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: May 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Ok, maybe I'll put the 210A back on my "buy" list now

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Well then, maybe I'll put GECO 124gr back on my buy list. Where would one find said ammo?

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
... Any of the 3 capable of lead bullets Q? Would plated bullets shoot without fouling issues?

Regardless to provenance, Swiss, German or US made, they all have barrels with a 1/10 twist rate. It´s too fast for lead. SIG offered special barrels with a 1/20 twist rate for that matter. If Vo is reduced it might work, but a .30 caliber recoil spring might be needed in order to compensate for the reduced gas pressure. It would be interesting to know if it was possible to use such a spring assembly in this US made version.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, thank you. Any idea how this compares to the x5 series?

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Great shooting and report, thanks for sharing your time and those beautiful pistols.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Thanks Q. I enjoy your range reports and photography. Reference the hammer bite with the Swiss guns,not physically impossible in my case. Blood on the hammer spur and TOP of the rear of the frame of my Swiss guns indicates it is the hammer that bites me. I softened the sharp edges, and trimmed hammer length slightly, on one of my -2 guns years ago to address the issue. It worked. That's one of the main reasons I prefer the beavertail type frame design of the German and American guns. Hate that bloodshed, especially my own.

BTW OTD, The Swiss or German recoil spring assemblies won't work in the American version. SIG Sauer shortened the recoil assembly to use a flat wire spring, and shortened the recoil spring tunnel in the slide to accommodate the new short spring and guide.

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
No grease, here. All three were lubed with Slip 2000 EWL. No worry, the German "LDC" is smooth sailing, now.

I'd bet that Slip 2000 EWG would work too. I lube my Beretta 87 Target with EWG, even though most folks lube their.22 LR pistols with oil.

And that's despite the fact that my ammo is Aguila Pistol Match, which has a stated MV of 925 FPS – at the low end of standard velocity.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post