SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Interesting TFB article about Glock MHS
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting TFB article about Glock MHS Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Reading the comments on the TFB article, the speculation tossed around there has the MHS with a fire control group similar to the 320, APX, 509, etc. I would buy the MHS just for that alone.

If true about the internals being contained in an all-in-one module, that one of those proverbial game changers for an otherwise slothlike company like Glock. Just like with the SIG, no more freaking out about stippling the frame.

The hands-on review of the G19 MHS at European Security and Defense makes no mention of any P320-style swappable FCU. So that doesn't appear to be the case.

http://www.euro-sd.com/esd/arc...ar-handgun-system-1/

The MHS's requirement for grip modularity only required a minimum of swappable backstraps, which is what the Glock MHS appears to have, just like the Gen 4 Glocks. It looks like only a quarter of the MHS submissions (3 out of 12) had completely modular grip shells and self-contained FCUs.

Sad to say that I too believe this to be right. Up until now I always have. It was more wishful thinking that a company as stodgy as Glock would make such a change so radical (for them). A true modular Glock would've been a nice development though. But this IS Glock, a company not noted for any design that strays far from the nest that the original G17 started. It works darn well, so why throw it away? Still, it would've been neat to see them try their hand at something different, if only to see if they could design and make a better design.

As for the inclusion of a thumb safety; for those of you who want it then that's fine...for yourselves. But if it becomes a mandatory thing that everyone has to put up with, then no thanks. I see zero desire behind it for someone the likes of me. I've been shooting Glocks as they are for too long to want to revise my training at this point in my life. And the idea of having a mechanism which I supposedly will ignore but that I might inadvertently switch on and not realize that...no thanks.

As for the M&P comment: S&W offers both safety AND non-safety versions which is why the M&P world doesn't raise much of a stink. I don't know if you've noticed, but most M&P pistols except the Shield come to market with no thumb safety. In addition I also take exception its design; the shape and size of the safety lever on pre-2.0 M&Ps is IMHO one of the WORST designs in a thumb safety conceived. Too awkwardly placed for me and my stub of a thumb to ride, yet all too easy to bump on during live fire if I don't ride the safety. I've had customers come back complaining about this very thing. All I can do at that point is remind them that I warned them about it before they chose to buy that version.

With regards to that foul M&P device I had to deal with: the short answer for this Glock guy was for me to rip the damn thing out of the gun. Which is what I did with my M&P9C. Problem solved. Hopefully it won't be a necessary to-do thing for this new Glock design, assuming I decide to buy one (Who am I trying to kid? Of course I'll end up buying one. Glockaholic I am...).

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
The regular G19 already has a lanyard hole, so why the big lanyard loop in the MHS, that might interfere with reloading?

The military was more concerned with weapon retention than fast reloads.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Another holster glitch is that the MHS 23 is a fatter slide than a regular 23. The pics comparing the 2 shows it pretty clearly.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Really, they should just make it a kit. Take the gun apart, pop out a plug on the frame, install the safety parts, reassemble the gun, you're good to go. Decide you don't want it, reverse the process, no harm, no foul. Sort of like the Omega trigger safety system on CZs.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Reading the comments on the TFB article, the speculation tossed around there has the MHS with a fire control group similar to the 320, APX, 509, etc. I would buy the MHS just for that alone.

If true about the internals being contained in an all-in-one module, that one of those proverbial game changers for an otherwise slothlike company like Glock. Just like with the SIG, no more freaking out about stippling the frame.

The hands-on review of the G19 MHS at European Security and Defense makes no mention of any P320-style swappable FCU. So that doesn't appear to be the case.

http://www.euro-sd.com/esd/arc...ar-handgun-system-1/

The MHS's requirement for grip modularity only required a minimum of swappable backstraps, which is what the Glock MHS appears to have, just like the Gen 4 Glocks. It looks like only a quarter of the MHS submissions (3 out of 12) had completely modular grip shells and self-contained FCUs.

Sad to say that I too believe this to be right. Up until now I always have. It was more wishful thinking that a company as stodgy as Glock would make such a change so radical (for them). A true modular Glock would've been a nice development though. But this IS Glock, a company not noted for any design that strays far from the nest that the original G17 started. It works darn well, so why throw it away? Still, it would've been neat to see them try their hand at something different, if only to see if they could design and make a better design.

As for the inclusion of a thumb safety; for those of you who want it then that's fine...for yourselves. But if it becomes a mandatory thing that everyone has to put up with, then no thanks. I see zero desire behind it for someone the likes of me. I've been shooting Glocks as they are for too long to want to revise my training at this point in my life. And the idea of having a mechanism which I supposedly will ignore but that I might inadvertently switch on and not realize that...no thanks.

As for the M&P comment: S&W offers both safety AND non-safety versions which is why the M&P world doesn't raise much of a stink. I don't know if you've noticed, but most M&P pistols except the Shield come to market with no thumb safety. In addition I also take exception its design; the shape and size of the safety lever on pre-2.0 M&Ps is IMHO one of the WORST designs in a thumb safety conceived. Too awkwardly placed for me and my stub of a thumb to ride, yet all too easy to bump on during live fire if I don't ride the safety. I've had customers come back complaining about this very thing. All I can do at that point is remind them that I warned them about it before they chose to buy that version.

With regards to that foul M&P device I had to deal with: the short answer for this Glock guy was for me to rip the damn thing out of the gun. Which is what I did with my M&P9C. Problem solved. Hopefully it won't be a necessary to-do thing for this new Glock design, assuming I decide to buy one (Who am I trying to kid? Of course I'll end up buying one. Glockaholic I am...).

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post