SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Building a 1911. Anyone done it?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a 1911. Anyone done it? Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Check out Fusion firearms in Florida. They have just about any combination of parts you could imagine! https://www.fusionfirearms.com

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I know the way I'm going about it is probably the most expensive. But something about cutting the frame rails & lapping the slide to the perfect fit. Just appeals to me.

Able to polish up pieces to try and get it ball bearing smooth. Get that real sense of pride that I build the thing.

I don't currently have any 45s in the stable. Only 9mm. I'm in a real mental struggle debating if I should do it in 45ACP. I mean it is a freaking 1911. Or just build it in 9mm and keep that the only caliber in the household.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I'm thinking of doing a 1911 build. Possibly from one of the %80 builds. Not because of some weird ghost gun non-sense. Just because that would give me the chance to hand fit the slide, lap the frame, and etc.
If you go with a Caspian slide and frame, unless you pay for them to do a "hand fit," you will still need to fit the slide and frame, including lapping.

When I did mine, the slide wasn't even close to fitting on the rails. It took quite a bit of time to fit it properly, but when done the fit was perfect.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
I'm thinking of doing a 1911 build. Possibly from one of the %80 builds. Not because of some weird ghost gun non-sense. Just because that would give me the chance to hand fit the slide, lap the frame, and etc.
If you go with a Caspian slide and frame, unless you pay for them to do a "hand fit," you will still need to fit the slide and frame, including lapping.

When I did mine, the slide wasn't even close to fitting on the rails. It took quite a bit of time to fit it properly, but when done the fit was perfect.

yeah, unless you are buying a short block kit of some sorts, fitting is definitely required.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Well a minor update.

I pulled trigger and ordered the parts. Drilled and decked the %80 frame last night. I'm taking some photos as I go. I'll update you guys on the final project.

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well a minor update.

I pulled trigger and ordered the parts. Drilled and decked the %80 frame last night. I'm taking some photos as I go. I'll update you guys on the final project.

Nice, did you decide to go 9mm or .45? The frame is different between the two (feed ramp).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Well a minor update.

Went 45acp. Wanted to keep it traditional.

Nice, did you decide to go 9mm or .45? The frame is different between the two (feed ramp).

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The push of firing 230g .45 versus the snap/flip of firing 9mm is its own thing and cool, IMO.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
The push of firing 230g .45 versus the snap/flip of firing 9mm is its own thing and cool, IMO.

There is no snap/flip when firing a 9mm government 1911. They're a pretty docile shooting gun. I have a few 9mm 1911 governments (.45 as well) and they're a very nice and soft shooting gun.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

There is no snap/flip when firing a 9mm government 1911. They're a pretty docile shooting gun. I have a few 9mm 1911 governments (.45 as well) and they're a very nice and soft shooting gun.

Yeah, I stuck with it cause it's a 1911. Deserves to be built in 45ACP. Just the way John Moses Browning intended.

It's a one off gun I'll never be able to sell. (Without registration & engraving) So if it's going to be a hand me down. Make it special.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, I stuck with it cause it's a 1911. Deserves to be built in 45ACP. Just the way John Moses Browning intended.

It's a one off gun I'll never be able to sell. (Without registration & engraving) So if it's going to be a hand me down. Make it special.

It should be a fun project. Do you plan on building it as a target gun or all around gun?

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It should be a fun project. Do you plan on building it as a target gun or all around gun?

Probably a all around gun. I went with full frame commander length. (4.25 inch barrel with ported slide.)

I just shot my buddies commander better than 5" barrel.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
So far:

Cut frame rails. Hand lapped the slide. (60,000 hammer strokes later!!)

Staked the plunger tube & pinned the ejector.

Everything else fits so far. Need to fit the safety next. Hits the sear when I try to put it in.