SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Building a 1911. Anyone done it?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a 1911. Anyone done it? Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
I don't know anything about the platform. I've assem-built several ARs from box of parts. Worked on Glocks.. etc.

I'm thinking of doing a 1911 build. Possibly from one of the %80 builds. Not because of some weird ghost gun non-sense. Just because that would give me the chance to hand fit the slide, lap the frame, and etc. Just that extra bit of love.

Anyone built a 1911? I understand there is much more work than throwing together a AR in a half hour. What should I look out for? Helpful suggestions?

Kinda leaning toward something like this:
1911 Builders Kit 9mm

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Other than lapping slide contact points and re springing.I also bent spring in main frame to my liking on several.
I did some sights to.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the videos by Mosin Virus on full30.com.
He has done several builds.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love training so I'd probably do this or similar:

https://www.gunsite.com/classe...1911-armorer-course/

Adds $1,500 to the cost, but learning from a master gunsmith while building your own 1911 sounds awesome to me!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
I love training so I'd probably do this or similar:

https://www.gunsite.com/classe...1911-armorer-course/

Adds $1,500 to the cost, but learning from a master gunsmith while building your own 1911 sounds awesome to me!

I've seen that. Seems neat but plus travel to Colorado just no way.

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While some may welcome the challenges of building a 1911 from scratch getting it right is FAR more complicated than working on an AR or Glock.
Personally ( even if I was mechanically skilled- which I am not)
By the time you procure decent quality parts a slide a frame and get them running you will probably be into this project for more and in some cases much more, than buying an off the shelf Springfield or Colt. And keep in mind regardless of the outcome, a 1911 you spend 800-1000 bucks to build will only ever be worth half the money you put into it.

Posts: 3267 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gary1911A1
posted Hide Post
I love the 1911 platform so I took a class from Larry Vickers and it was educational. After you buy the parts and tools you will have a lot in your 1911, but if done carefully you can have a 1911 as good as a Wilson although it may not look as nice and you will better understand the 1911 and how to keep it running. As a sidetone Larry also referred to the class as "The Glock Appreciation Course". LOL

Posts: 527 | Location: Southern Ohio for now. | Registered: December 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I have built many of them over the decades. The most recent was this long slide 10MM Auto a couple of years ago. Briley barrel with spherical bushing, 3 position Aristocrat rear sight with a custom machined front sight, ball bearing mounted trigger for a safe and repeatable 2.75 pounds and of course Thor's Hammer scrimshawed into the grips.

Here are a few of the others.

This was my first one in 9x23 Winchester (built around 20 years ago). I should probably pull it out and update the photo

If you really want to learn, and need to do it at home, The American Gunsmith Institute (AGI) has several online courses and DVDs that are a great place to start. There are many tips and tricks taught in those courses and they are much cheaper than even the plane fare to Colorado

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
While some may welcome the challenges of building a 1911 from scratch getting it right is FAR more complicated than working on an AR or Glock.
Personally ( even if I was mechanically skilled- which I am not)
By the time you procure decent quality parts a slide a frame and get them running you will probably be into this project for more and in some cases much more, than buying an off the shelf Springfield or Colt. And keep in mind regardless of the outcome, a 1911 you spend 800-1000 bucks to build will only ever be worth half the money you put into it.

Ohh I totally get it. It's going to be like thinking you are doing a Polymer 80 Glock build to "save money". It aint happening.

This is more for the project sake. Plus a educational journey. I'll probably be in $1.500 with all the decking & frame cutting jigs. Sights & etc... Plus some files, grip, cerakote job. It won't be cheap. But it will be mine. Big Grin

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
this long slide 10MM Auto

Eek She is a beaut!!

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, one of the gun magazines had a series of articles on how to do such. It may be online by now.

Posts: 5609 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Building a 1911 is on my list. After overhauling for the Dominator I'd really like to do one.

You can indeed "assem-build" a 1911, by ordering say a Caspian fitted frame and slide, and then appropriately selected parts. I may do one that route, and then another where more hand fitting is needed, such as these 80% kits available.

Actually taking a class would be great, but I don't mind burning some parts due to fuckups. Then again, I have some metalworking experience and some tools.

I'd say this is something that anyone who is honest about what they don't know, can enjoy by managing their own expectations and spending the appropriate time and money.

You can take classes, or you can do it by buying books and watching youtube. You might make mistakes, so what, how many mistakes have illustrious smiths made over time?

How not to make mistakes? Don't be in a hurry. You can always remove more metal. Putting it back means learning how to TIG, heat treat, polish and refinish...

Good files. A sturdy vice. Good punches. At least a drill press. Good sharp bits. Marking fluid. These are just some things that will ease your labor.

Unless you really fuck up, your 1911 can still be a shooter, rather than the ubersoldat you were aiming for.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I built one about 15 years ago, Caspian frame, Brown barrel, Colt slide. Fitting the key parts with hand tools was a huge amount of work. I would not do it again without a milling machine. But it came out really well and still shoots excellent groups.

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I can build this:

You can definitely build a 1911. Now it's not apples to apples, but I easily could've bought two rifles for the cost of the kit, receiver, tools and jigs. Depending on your desired level of challenge, you should at least know how to properly use a drill press, have a quality one (or access to one), proper bits and reamers, and the patience to file/stone/sand without resorting to a dremel. If you want more advanced, you're gonna need access to a mill.

The payoff is the pride that comes with shooting something that you really worked on to build. The cost is you're gonna want to do it again. And again.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
parts are better now as far as building 1911's than there were years ago,

still, some parts may all drop in and work right from the get go,

others may need a touch or 3 of fitting,

gotta say, that kit for $1100,

personally I would just buy a used gun and rebuild or modify,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That Gunsite course would be fun.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have built several 1911 and Para frame 1911 pistols. It is not difficult if you can be patient. I am lucky to have an amazingly talented and knowledgeable gun smith who helped me all along the way. All resources you need can be found on line. Files, and other essential tools can be reasonable if you shop around. The only thing you cannot get online, is the courage to begin. That you must supply. If you find yourself in a bind, feel free to reach out.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
The most recent was this long slide 10MM Auto a couple of years ago

Damn! That is one pretty looking gal.
LUST!

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Start off wth a "base gun" and modify...build it up your speces. It'll be a lot easier, imho.
This started off as a Springfield base "GI-45" and I built it up to better replicate a GI/WW-II 1911-A1.

In the end, i did have my 'Smith replace and tune the trigger, but I did the other work to get it into a decent shooting replica of something I can't afford...and wouldn't want to put a lot of ammo thru.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dropped a few parts into my other 1911s over time and recently built up a cheap Armscor frame with a Sarco 1911 kit which was cheap and turned out to be very nice. If your considering it I'd say try a cheap parts kit first. I think I was out about $250 or so for that project. A few parts didnt fit and needed to be fitted but it wasnt a bear with patience.

I'm considering doing a full premium build myself and I think that armscor sarco gun will be the test bed for alot of the things I do on that gun. I'd rather work on my filing with a cheap gun than a quality part. I'll throw up pics but its been a long term project so I'm not sure when I'll start and finish.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post